Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Your Turntable's Not Dead
User avatar
Jamie
Little Ghost
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 am
Location: UK

Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Jamie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 am

I got a little bored one day and thought it'd be nice to have some way to store the 3" records from the Inchophones, considering there's so many that have been released now. I decided I wanted to make a miniature record crate for them, so I sketched up a design, seen here stylised in a way to spare you all from my pages of scribbled out notes and terrible handwriting:

Image

I then set about creating a 3D model in Fusion360. Here's a fancy gif of the process as I just realised that you can make GIFs of screencaptures pretty easily in Photoshop:

Image

I sent the file to my 3D printer, which took less time than originally estimated (33 hours) as I was able to figure out some places to optimize the process but it still took just shy of 18 hours to finish printing:

Image

Finally I gave it a good sanding, a couple of coatings with some primer, a few black coats with an airbrush, handbrushing the details to the logos and finishing it with a coat of lacquer. You're bored already so I didn't document these individual steps. Either way, here's the finished product:

Image

I'm missing the four records which came in the blind boxes on Record Store Day and also a copy of The Denial Twist so there's plenty of room left for those and others which may be released in future.

User avatar
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper
Posts: 9712
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by arewhyehen » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:03 am

Ah man that is cool. I miss having a 3D printer in our studio in school. haha We would print some really weird shit I tell you...never anything as cool as this.

User avatar
dylnfan
Little Ghost
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:28 pm
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by dylnfan » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:53 am

Jamie wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 am
I got a little bored one day and thought it'd be nice to have some way to store the 3" records from the Inchophones, considering there's so many that have been released now. I decided I wanted to make a miniature record crate for them, so I sketched up a design, seen here stylised in a way to spare you all from my pages of scribbled out notes and terrible handwriting:

Image

I then set about creating a 3D model in Fusion360. Here's a fancy gif of the process as I just realised that you can make GIFs of screencaptures pretty easily in Photoshop:

Image

I sent the file to my 3D printer, which took less time than originally estimated (33 hours) as I was able to figure out some places to optimize the process but it still took just shy of 18 hours to finish printing:

Image

Finally I gave it a good sanding, a couple of coatings with some primer, a few black coats with an airbrush, handbrushing the details to the logos and finishing it with a coat of lacquer. You're bored already so I didn't document these individual steps. Either way, here's the finished product:

Image

I'm missing the four records which came in the blind boxes on Record Store Day and also a copy of The Denial Twist so there's plenty of room left for those and others which may be released in future.
Genius. :-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo

TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 am

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by TwinkleLights » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:11 pm

That is SO stinkin' cute :D
Love it!

User avatar
Elwood
Little Cream Soda
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am
Location: United States / Germany / The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Elwood » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 pm

That's pretty awesome. reminds me of the little box I made a few years ago (shown here: Image).

I may need to get creative again... Or if you ever feel the urge to make another one of these crates, feel free to send me a PM. ^^

elduderino
Little Ghost
Posts: 3034
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by elduderino » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm

That is boss!

Make me one?
he is everything i hate...

User avatar
anonymousbrunette
Little People
Posts: 3796
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 am
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by anonymousbrunette » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Jamie this is fantastic! Top attention to detail. It makes me ever curious about your brain.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org

User avatar
shaneoftheroad
Little People
Posts: 4869
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 am
Location: Owensboro, KY

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by shaneoftheroad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:35 pm

One of the coolest fan-made TMR objects in history. Way to go!

User avatar
Jamie
Little Ghost
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 am
Location: UK

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Jamie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:28 pm

elduderino wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm
That is boss!

Make me one?
I would but the 18 hour print time plus the 7-8 hours spent painting and sanding don't really make it cost effective for anybody to buy one, then there's shipping costs too. I've been trying to think of a way to speed up the process and maybe make a flat-pack type kit which people can put together themselves, so if I can I'll definitely post again here.

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7299
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Stl_ben » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm

If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
Jamie
Little Ghost
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 am
Location: UK

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Jamie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm

Stl_ben wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm
If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
That's technically possible but I stopped sharing 3D print files online as people take them then resell on etsy etc. While I'm sure all of you guys are trustworthy it's a blanket rule I stick to as it's annoying to see people profit off your hard work. A few bad apples stop everyone else from getting nice things.

User avatar
anonymousbrunette
Little People
Posts: 3796
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 am
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by anonymousbrunette » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm

Jamie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Stl_ben wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm
If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
That's technically possible but I stopped sharing 3D print files online as people take them then resell on etsy etc. While I'm sure all of you guys are trustworthy it's a blanket rule I stick to as it's annoying to see people profit off your hard work. A few bad apples stop everyone else from getting nice things.
Then just sell me one :D
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7299
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Stl_ben » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm

So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.
Won't give away because someone else will sell it....

I think there is about 10 people in the world interested in this that would either spend money or time it takes to make on their own. So if you don't want to make 10 of them....post and share it. Wouldn't the joy of a couple people getting one and making their own outweigh the long odds of someone copying it?

Just sell it to the 3 people asking here and send it through dropbox. I would guess they would gladly send a cool $10 your way for the time.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
anonymousbrunette
Little People
Posts: 3796
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:01 am
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by anonymousbrunette » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Stl_ben wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm
So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.
Won't give away because someone else will sell it....

I think there is about 10 people in the world interested in this that would either spend money or time it takes to make on their own. So if you don't want to make 10 of them....post and share it. Wouldn't the joy of a couple people getting one and making their own outweigh the long odds of someone copying it?

Just sell it to the 3 people asking here and send it through dropbox. I would guess they would gladly send a cool $10 your way for the time.
Sometimes you put in more effort for your art than you're willing to put in for someone you know on a forum. Sometimes you want it just for yourself and that's not only okay its paramount. This is Jamie's creation. I don't blame an artist for not wanting to see other people take credit over shitty knock-offs.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org

User avatar
Jamie
Little Ghost
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:42 am
Location: UK

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Jamie » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:15 pm

Stl_ben wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm
So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.
Won't give away because someone else will sell it....
Yes and yes. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I didn't make this to try and sell, I made it because I wanted to do it for fun. Same reason I shared a picture here, because I thought people would like it, not to try and make money from people.

I tried to see if it was feasible to batch produce the Lego set I made for people on here but when TMR gazumped that idea I uploaded everything I'd made here for free so people could make their own. I did that because I thought the TMR version was expensive and inferior. I was happy to share that one but as I said I don't upload 3D files any more as I've been burned before and people will try and profit from it, even if it's a niche product. There's literally printing farms in China which print low-quality stolen designs on demand for almost nothing and I don't want them to get my stuff.

You may say that nobody is going to take something of mine from Swirl since we're only a small forum but it hasn't stopped people before...

http://whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ng#p159116

Image

People steal. I like to decide how much control I have over things I've made.

Post Reply