Database Suggestions

Please discuss the database in this forum.
MegBot3000
Site Admin

Database Suggestions

Post by MegBot3000 »

Please post any suggestions for improvement here
WhiteSwirl takes no responsibility for MegBot malfunctions.
higherlimits
Little People

Re: Database Suggestions

Post by higherlimits »

Some things already on the to do list:

Have the item title in the browser header

Be able to view other people’s listings/wants/collection

For the filter have an “Availability” section with “on ebay” and “on White Swirl” as options

Change number of items to view per page (allow people to view 10/20/50/100 items at a time)

Add a sort by “Catalogue Number”

Fix "on ebay" filter. It currently picks up things that used to be on ebay but that haven't made the switch to "Sales history" yet. It also currently picks up things available from members.
EdwardWBjornson
Little Acorn

Post by EdwardWBjornson »

Was going to suggest a couple of those^
Great stuff, guys! :D
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Have filter be alphabetical (it currently sorts by item number)

Fix ' issue. anything with a ' currently shows as /'
PetterC
Little Bird

Post by PetterC »

Awesome database! But I would like to se a "back to search results" button :)
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Love the concept and I totally anticipate this database evolving over time. Couple recommendations after playing around:

1. When you select a particular item, I notice that the variants also show up below. It would be nice to be able to select "add to collection/remove from collection" on the individual variant sections w/out having to open them up as a new item.

2. Similar to the above, it would make things smoother if one could "check" multiple items and "add to collection/remove from collection" with one selection.

3. Visually, I would like to see more information on one page/something less "bulky"...perhaps a "table" format w/smaller images and information rather than a large/long list?

Again, excellent addition to the site! Don't take my comments as complaints, rather suggestions. Cheers to all involved!
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

What formats are pictures able to be uploaded in? It told me invalid on jpg, png, bmp, finally got one through on jpeg.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

1. Refining above suggestion - grid view with multiple items on a line. Say 5 per row
2. Add item without having to go into the item itself
3. Ability to sort your collection, right now it's listed by added date.
4. Is it possible to crosswalk the EB database over here to save time on items already cataloged there?
5. Credit photos if/when possible/desired?
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I think a "not in my collection" search option would be a great addition.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
kevron6
Gonzo Journalist

Post by kevron6 »

A function to look at auctions that ended would be pretty nice. Hats off to everyone that worked on this.
I always said, if I had to fuck a guy... I mean had to, if my life depended on it... I'd fuck Elvis.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

kevron6 wrote:A function to look at auctions that ended would be pretty nice. Hats off to everyone that worked on this.
What do you mean by this? Eventually there will be millions of auctions that have ended, just look at sales history for each item. Do you want auctions that have recently ended? I don't think that's possible..

Change "Wanted By" list to have the names be links to a private message, just like the "listings" list.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Not have the database as the landing page. For a first time visitor that might be confusing to end up looking at a database of items instead of the fourms or an intro page.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

I don't know. The point of this website has always been to be a database, the forum just kinda happened and then the database took forever to set up. If you look at expressobeans.com they have the database as the landing page.

I think that the database and the forums both can stand alone but I'm not sure what to do with the home page. I do think though that some of the comments and behaviour on the forums scares people away and I don't want people to ignore the database because they don't like some people on the forum. Plus I don't think people will even know that the database exists if the landing page is the forum. We did have a different site for a while that had almost zero hits it just had DW news, discography, lyrics etc. but no one ever went there so I scraped it, I don't want the database to be the same way.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

In that case, have some sort of front page that explains the database or a welcome or something that lets folks know what the site is about. I didn't realize the database was the thing and the forum was more of an extra instead of vice versa, I haven't been here quite that long. Right now when you come to White Swirl you just get a big picture of the last item added to the database and some smallish boxes that link to other areas including the forum. Maybe something like a torrent site that has a list of recently added items to the database, sort of like when you get from an ebay search and the top portion explains the mission of White Swirl and invites folks to join the forum and help with furthering the database information.
higherlimits
Little People

Post by higherlimits »

Sure, okay. For now we've just been focusing on the functionality of the site. We are planning on 'prettying' it up a little. I'll see what we can do. This will take a bit longer than database stuff as I think that's more important right now. once it's working perfectly we can work on the style of the site.