VAULT PACKAGE 44 : DE STIJL XX

Mick III
Little Acorn

VAULT PACKAGE 44 : DE STIJL XX

Post by Mick III »

Vault Package #44: An Overview of 2000 and Accompaniment to De Stijl.

In the year 2000 the White Stripes released their sophomore LP De Stijl. Named after the minimalist Dutch art movement of the early 20th century, the album was a marked deviation from the raw, urban punk blues exhibited on their debut LP from the year prior. Eschewing the cold confines of a studio, De Stijl was tracked in Jack White’s living room, giving the band the freedom to take the time to massage their songs into their picturesque final forms. The year would prove to be a further continuation of the band’s upward trajectory, complete with their first-ever headlining tour, a clutch run of dates opening for Sleater-Kinney, a first-time overseas jaunt hitting Japan, Australia and New Zealand…all culminating in the tiniest peek into the press hype overload that would land come their way in 2001.

Before any of that though was the songs.

De Stijl is oftentimes outwardly slow, somber and downtempo. Nowhere is that more evident than on the original acoustic boombox demos recorded by Jack White. Seemingly all done in an afternoon (and some of which may have been accidentally recorded over) the skeletal framework of such deep cuts as “Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise” and “I’m Bound to Pack It Up” butt up against a vocal-less seedling of “Expecting”, an exercise in keyboard dexterity via “Piano Octaves” and the unabashedly ebullient unheard and unreleased gem “Vanilla Fields.” Only recently discovered in the basement of Stripes’ archivist, Ben Blackwell, these recordings, many with alternate and unused lyrics, were completely forgotten by White, yet form a pivotal foundation and structure on which the De Stijl album would build from.

During the White Stripes’ “Three Island Tour” in October and November of 2000, the band found themselves at Corduroy Recording Studio in Melbourne, Australia. The plan was to record two songs direct-to-acetate and press them immediately after as a limited edition tour-only 7-inch single. The a-side was set to be the Billy Childish-via-the-Headcoatees song “You’re Right, I’m Wrong,” complete with Jack White jumping from bass to organ to guitar all in real-time. No room for tripping over a guitar cord of flubbing a lyric…or the band would have to start from scratch. No punch-in’s, no overdubs…just pure 1950’s archaic recording procedure. The b-side was an early attempt at the Burt Bacharach/Hal David song “I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself” which would be re-recorded by the band the following year at BBC Maida Vale Studios and ultimately end up as a top-line single off their

Elephant album, released to widespread critical acclaim in 2003.

As the way things sometimes go, the recording didn’t feel quite right at that moment. The levels peaked a little bit, there was something still left to be desired, some long-forgotten disagreements about approach and style and volume causing a metaphorical fissure to erupt across the control room window of the recording studio. The recordings were shelved and remained under lock-and-key in Australia until Third Man Records arranged for their safe delivery to the climate-controlled Nashville tape vault in 2012. While it was tough to sit on them, only now does it feel right and appropriate to share these, some of choicest gems the Vault has ever shared with the fans. We’re unaware of any other unheard studio recordings of Jack and Meg from 2000, so the excitement here is palpable.

As New Year’s Eve 2000 crested over to 2001, Jack and Meg performed a celebratory set at the Magic Stick in their hometown of Detroit. Rather than just approach the set the same off-the-cuff way they’d perfected over the previous six months of incessant touring, the band put in the effort to make the evening special. Fresh off their Australian tour dates, the band exhibited a rediscovered appreciation for the early works of AC/DC and decided to place it front and center by starting the show with intense takes on both “Let There Be Rock” and “Dog Eat Dog.” Joined by good friend Chris McInnis (They Come in Threes, PA) on bass for these two songs, it would be one of only a handful of times the Stripes would employ the four-string instrument in the live setting, creating a rock solid power trio here which is totally in service to the songs. The rest of the set is strong, with all the quintessential 2000-era highlights…”Hello Operator” with “Little Bird” and “Lord, Send Me an Angel” along with a stellar “Let’s Build a Home/Goin’ Back to Memphis” medley. All punctuated with a set-closing rendition of the Velvet Underground’s “After Hours.” Originally written by Velvets frontman Lou Reed for drummer Moe Tucker to sing, the Stripes version has Meg stepping out from behind the drum kit for the first time ever in concert, delivering her lines with all the charm and verve that fans would come to love from her later outings singing both “In the Cold, Cold Night” and “Passive Manipulation.” As with the AC/DC tracks, this would be the only time the White Stripes would ever cover “After Hours.” In a career chock-full of outstanding live performances, this gig stands out as one of the most-special and unique shows the band ever played. Available in mediocre quality on bootlegs for years (thanks to a slick fan who fished a copy out of a dumpster), this version is speed-corrected and remastered in high-quality directly from the original board tape.

Furthermore, it wouldn’t be a full Vault package without wholly exploiting the visual medium by including a DVD of TWO killer shows from the peak of De Stijl touring. We 100% guarantee they are shows you have NEVER seen before, taken directly from the original tapes deep within the TMR archives, never previously shared, exciting and insightful as all get-out. But you’re gonna have to wait just a bit to find out which shows those exactly are. Did you see the band in 2000? Maybe you’re in the crowd shot. Didn’t see them in 2000? Well now you can. You like Easter Eggs? Well maybe we’ll include some. Have a show you particularly want to see? Tell us and if we have it, maybe we’ll dig it up and use it to make your day. You’re welcome.

Of further unabated excitement is the archival booklet serving as a road map through the most recondite peaks and valleys of the White Stripes travels and travails in the year 2000. Filled with all sorts of previously unseen photographs, flyers, posters, hand-written lyrics, death letters, ransom notes, Zodiac Killer ciphers, Mongolian horse racing slips, Braille crossword puzzles and other assorted fish-wrapping, giving you, Johnny Q. Fanboy, hours upon hours of fun reading, digging and learning why this is a band, a release and a year worth paying attention to.

Subscriptions for Vault Package #44 are available now through April 30th.

LP 1 includes:

Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise

A Boy’s Best Friend

Sister, Do You Know My Name?

I’m Bound to Pack It Up

Expecting

Vanilla Fields

Piano Octaves

You’re Right, I’m Wrong

I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself

ALL PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED!

and more!

LP 2 tracklist:

Let There Be Rock (AC/DC cover)

Dog Eat Dog (AC/DC cover)

You’re Pretty Good Looking (For a Girl)

Hello Operator

Death Letter

Little Bird

Lord, Send Me An Angel

Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground

Apple Blossom

Broken Bricks

Cannon

Truth Doesn’t Make a Noise

Jolene

I’m Bored

Let’s Build a Home / Goin’ Back to Memphis

Suzy Lee

After Hours (Velvet Underground cover)
Last edited by Mick III on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Re: VAULT PACKAGE 44 : DE STILJ XX

Post by Mick III »

I am in! :)
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Scorching.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Was it "You’re Right, I’m Wrong" that was played for some audience like once somewhere at some point? I mean, I could search for that, but, eh.

Cool, though.
ehartsock1991
Little Bird

Re: VAULT PACKAGE 44 : DE STIJL XX

Post by ehartsock1991 »

chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I did find the following line... a bit odd. I’m not sure if they’re saying they have yet to solidify which shows they’re using for the DVD or if they’re inviting recommendations for future releases? The former seems unlike Third Man and the latter very much in their wheelhouse.
Have a show you particularly want to see? Tell us and if we have it, maybe we’ll dig it up and use it to make your day. You’re welcome.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Love these types of vault packages.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

So does this mean neither record is a repress of De Stijl? It's a re-constituted double LP? Is this similar to what they did for Vault 42 for their S/T album?
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

arewhyehen wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:57 pm Love these types of vault packages.
Agree, the best
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

love_islander wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 am So does this mean neither record is a repress of De Stijl? It's a re-constituted double LP? Is this similar to what they did for Vault 42 for their S/T album?
Yea can someone clarify? I feel like their write up is a little unclear. The first LP is the boombox demos? The second is live at the magic stick?

I THINK I'm in, but it seems like they usually explain everything a little more? Maybe I'm still stoned from last night?
houses are full of things that gather dust
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Neither record is the album
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

runofthemill wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:35 pm Neither record is the album

This. One album is a live show from New Year's Eve, the other is outtakes/alt versions.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

My only complaint is these hard cover cases take up way too much shelf space. Would greatly prefer standard double LP jackets. The s/t vault package sticks out like a sore thumb on the shelf.
houses are full of things that gather dust
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Melon wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:56 pm My only complaint is these hard cover cases take up way too much shelf space. Would greatly prefer standard double LP jackets. The s/t vault package sticks out like a sore thumb on the shelf.
+1
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Then cut them out and glue them together.

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom