Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Your Turntable's Not Dead
Jamie
Little Ghost

Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by Jamie »

I got a little bored one day and thought it'd be nice to have some way to store the 3" records from the Inchophones, considering there's so many that have been released now. I decided I wanted to make a miniature record crate for them, so I sketched up a design, seen here stylised in a way to spare you all from my pages of scribbled out notes and terrible handwriting:

I then set about creating a 3D model in Fusion360. Here's a fancy gif of the process as I just realised that you can make GIFs of screencaptures pretty easily in Photoshop:

I sent the file to my 3D printer, which took less time than originally estimated (33 hours) as I was able to figure out some places to optimize the process but it still took just shy of 18 hours to finish printing:

Finally I gave it a good sanding, a couple of coatings with some primer, a few black coats with an airbrush, handbrushing the details to the logos and finishing it with a coat of lacquer. You're bored already so I didn't document these individual steps. Either way, here's the finished product:

I'm missing the four records which came in the blind boxes on Record Store Day and also a copy of The Denial Twist so there's plenty of room left for those and others which may be released in future.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Third Man Inchophone 3" Record Storage Crate

Post by arewhyehen »

Ah man that is cool. I miss having a 3D printer in our studio in school. haha We would print some really weird shit I tell you...never anything as cool as this.
dylnfan
Little Ghost

Post by dylnfan »

Jamie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:37 am I got a little bored one day and thought it'd be nice to have some way to store the 3" records from the Inchophones, considering there's so many that have been released now. I decided I wanted to make a miniature record crate for them, so I sketched up a design, seen here stylised in a way to spare you all from my pages of scribbled out notes and terrible handwriting:

I then set about creating a 3D model in Fusion360. Here's a fancy gif of the process as I just realised that you can make GIFs of screencaptures pretty easily in Photoshop:

I sent the file to my 3D printer, which took less time than originally estimated (33 hours) as I was able to figure out some places to optimize the process but it still took just shy of 18 hours to finish printing:

Finally I gave it a good sanding, a couple of coatings with some primer, a few black coats with an airbrush, handbrushing the details to the logos and finishing it with a coat of lacquer. You're bored already so I didn't document these individual steps. Either way, here's the finished product:

I'm missing the four records which came in the blind boxes on Record Store Day and also a copy of The Denial Twist so there's plenty of room left for those and others which may be released in future.
Genius. :-)
"I haven't told him, but I'm adding him to my movement to bring nice back. Because nice is the coolest, most punk thing ever."

- Cmelo
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

That is SO stinkin' cute :D
Love it!
Elwood
Little Cream Soda

Post by Elwood »

That's pretty awesome. reminds me of the little box I made a few years ago (shown here: Image).

I may need to get creative again... Or if you ever feel the urge to make another one of these crates, feel free to send me a PM. ^^
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

That is boss!

Make me one?
he is everything i hate...
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Jamie this is fantastic! Top attention to detail. It makes me ever curious about your brain.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

One of the coolest fan-made TMR objects in history. Way to go!
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

elduderino wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 pm That is boss!

Make me one?
I would but the 18 hour print time plus the 7-8 hours spent painting and sanding don't really make it cost effective for anybody to buy one, then there's shipping costs too. I've been trying to think of a way to speed up the process and maybe make a flat-pack type kit which people can put together themselves, so if I can I'll definitely post again here.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Stl_ben wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
That's technically possible but I stopped sharing 3D print files online as people take them then resell on etsy etc. While I'm sure all of you guys are trustworthy it's a blanket rule I stick to as it's annoying to see people profit off your hard work. A few bad apples stop everyone else from getting nice things.
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Jamie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Stl_ben wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:57 pm If its 3D printed....maybe post the instructions somewhere for people to make their own?
That's technically possible but I stopped sharing 3D print files online as people take them then resell on etsy etc. While I'm sure all of you guys are trustworthy it's a blanket rule I stick to as it's annoying to see people profit off your hard work. A few bad apples stop everyone else from getting nice things.
Then just sell me one :D
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.
Won't give away because someone else will sell it....

I think there is about 10 people in the world interested in this that would either spend money or time it takes to make on their own. So if you don't want to make 10 of them....post and share it. Wouldn't the joy of a couple people getting one and making their own outweigh the long odds of someone copying it?

Just sell it to the 3 people asking here and send it through dropbox. I would guess they would gladly send a cool $10 your way for the time.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Stl_ben wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.

I think there is about 10 people in the world interested in this that would either spend money or time it takes to make on their own. So if you don't want to make 10 of them....post and share it. Wouldn't the joy of a couple people getting one and making their own outweigh the long odds of someone copying it?

Just sell it to the 3 people asking here and send it through dropbox. I would guess they would gladly send a cool $10 your way for the time.
Sometimes you put in more effort for your art than you're willing to put in for someone you know on a forum. Sometimes you want it just for yourself and that's not only okay its paramount. This is Jamie's creation. I don't blame an artist for not wanting to see other people take credit over shitty knock-offs.

My ISO/FS/FT List
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

Stl_ben wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:49 pm So won't sell because it takes too much work/time & Shipping.
Yes and yes. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

I didn't make this to try and sell, I made it because I wanted to do it for fun. Same reason I shared a picture here, because I thought people would like it, not to try and make money from people.

I tried to see if it was feasible to batch produce the Lego set I made for people on here but when TMR gazumped that idea I uploaded everything I'd made here for free so people could make their own. I did that because I thought the TMR version was expensive and inferior. I was happy to share that one but as I said I don't upload 3D files any more as I've been burned before and people will try and profit from it, even if it's a niche product. There's literally printing farms in China which print low-quality stolen designs on demand for almost nothing and I don't want them to get my stuff.

You may say that nobody is going to take something of mine from Swirl since we're only a small forum but it hasn't stopped people before...

http://whiteswirl.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ng#p159116

People steal. I like to decide how much control I have over things I've made.