Lego "Fell In Love With A Girl" Custom Set

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Re: Lego "Fell In Love With A Girl" Custom Set

Post by rsimms3 »

Jamie wrote:
G-squared wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:The instruction book is the most important part, I think. You can buy the Lego pieces anywhere. But you have to know what to buy and how they fit together. And you can't be sure it's 100% correct unless you get it from the source.
Yes. I had this thought too. Maybe you would consider circulating your instruction book? I actually prefer the TMR "stage" in that the figures and drums are on separate bottoms, which could be easily customized from your model. Not suggesting you give away your effort, but I would be down for a trade or donation type deal.
My version is, as far as I'm confident in saying, identical to the one in the display case at Nashville. I would have happily shared the books and templates but now that they've made their own I guess mine would be considered a bootleg rather than a piece of fan art, so it doesn't feel right to do so.
TMR didn't make it, they leveraged someone else's idea. You should totally release your brick list and instructions via PDF. Mock up the designs for printing on a home printer. If you don't then I'll certainly tear mine down to create at least a brick list and a snap some instruction pics.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Jamie wrote:
G-squared wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:The instruction book is the most important part, I think. You can buy the Lego pieces anywhere. But you have to know what to buy and how they fit together. And you can't be sure it's 100% correct unless you get it from the source.
Yes. I had this thought too. Maybe you would consider circulating your instruction book? I actually prefer the TMR "stage" in that the figures and drums are on separate bottoms, which could be easily customized from your model. Not suggesting you give away your effort, but I would be down for a trade or donation type deal.
My version is, as far as I'm confident in saying, identical to the one in the display case at Nashville. I would have happily shared the books and templates but now that they've made their own I guess mine would be considered a bootleg rather than a piece of fan art, so it doesn't feel right to do so.
I was not trying to cast any criticism towards your fan art, Jamie, just stating a preference. Its hard to hear tone in text, but i hope i didn't offend you. I respect your take on not circulating the book. To clarify though, when i said donation, I was thinking something like you ask people to throw a few bucks at a charity in exchange for the book.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

G-squared wrote:
Jamie wrote:
G-squared wrote:
I was not trying to cast any criticism towards your fan art, Jamie, just stating a preference. Its hard to hear tone in text, but i hope i didn't offend you. I respect your take on not circulating the book. To clarify though, when i said donation, I was thinking something like you ask people to throw a few bucks at a charity in exchange for the book.
I didn't mean to imply any ill will, quite the contrary. I just meant to convey why I feel less comfortable sharing it now than I otherwise would have, and that I made mine to be like for like to the original rather than making any of my own changes such as the bases. Maybe soon once it's all sold out and definitely won't be coming back then I'll share the brick list or something? I don't really know, I'd like to share it all now but I'm ethically conflicted.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

60$ and I think it is not real LEGO Brick, because it doesn't write anywhere. So 60$ for a fake LEGO brick I prefer Jamie's one.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Mick III wrote:60$ and I think it is not real LEGO Brick, because it doesn't write anywhere. So 60$ for a fake LEGO brick I prefer Jamie's one.
The White Stripes "Fell in Love with a Girl" block kit, inspired by Michel Gondry's visionary music video.

- Build three designs with one kit
- Featuring Jack and Meg "Fell in Love with a Girl" video replica or The White Stripes name model
- Includes full color printed building instructions
- Contains 213 new condition Lego (R) elements

- Dimensions: 9 1/2 X 6 1/4" X 2"
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Ok my bad but it is too expensive. In 1 month it will be possible to have the notice on web, and pieces aren't difficult to find for a good price.
And when I say it is expensive, I know what I am talking about because I love LEGO and I have some beautiful pieces at home. For the price, there is 213 pieces for 60$, that's mean 0.20$ each pieces. Normally when you buy a LEGO set it is 0.06$ each piece. For the Ninjago town there is 4800 pieces and it cost 280$. It is just a exemple, but to me, the set would be sell at 30$ or may e 40$ maximum because this is White Stripes but 60$...
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

LEGO makes their own pieces and can yes sell them cheaper than someone who has to buy them second hand and then mark them up if they want to make any profit / pay it's employees.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Yes I know that. But I don't think TMR pay a lot of money, there isn't rare brick, only classic bricks. It cost less than 15$. So when you pay it 60$... I know TMR have to make some momey but this time is too much.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Mick III wrote:Yes I know that. But I don't think TMR pay a lot of money, there isn't rare brick, only classic bricks. It cost less than 15$. So when you pay it 60$... I know TMR have to make some momey but this time is too much.
Evidently it wasn't too much if they instantly sold out and are selling for 2x cost on ebay......
Should they have sold them cheaper and let the flippers make more?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Stl_ben wrote:
Mick III wrote:Yes I know that. But I don't think TMR pay a lot of money, there isn't rare brick, only classic bricks. It cost less than 15$. So when you pay it 60$... I know TMR have to make some momey but this time is too much.
Evidently it wasn't too much if they instantly sold out and are selling for 2x cost on ebay......
In his usual "club over the head" kind of way, Ben is right. If they were charging too much they'd still have some in stock. Things are worth whatever people will pay, especially in the collector world.
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

Stl_ben wrote:
The right thing it is not selling a limited edition. This is the probelm. Lego bricks aren't a limited thing, not special edition of brick. You sell some sets for 40$ ans if it works, you sell again. So the only solution to you it is a insane price, for people who can buy it. Here in France you have to pay the cost delivery. A fan wouldn't have to pay a crazy price, exept if you thing that TMR must selling products for an elite of rich people.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Mick III wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
The right thing it is not selling a limited edition. This is the probelm. Lego bricks aren't a limited thing, not special edition of brick. You sell some sets for 40$ ans if it works, you sell again. So the only solution to you it is a insane price, for people who can buy it. Here in France you have to pay the cost delivery. A fan wouldn't have to pay a crazy price, exept if you thing that TMR must selling products for an elite of rich people.
They are a company that survives because of HYPE. If things weren't limited people wouldn't rush to buy ....and they wouldn't be able to stay in business. It's been there business model for what 8 years now? Don't think they are going to stop making limited items any time soon.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Mick III wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
Don't like it? Don't buy it. Build your own for $15 and stop complaining. I don't see you taking issue with buying limited edition vault packages....or the prices in the Vault store.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Mick III
Little Acorn

Post by Mick III »

If you think that you win more money if you sell 100 set at 60$ than 200 sets at 40$... But like every time you can't say something bad about TMR, because everyone say you are a hater. There is some collector stuff, but sometime you can sell some classic cool stuff for everyone. And I never said a LEGO set would be selling for 15$, this is the cost of production. Kiss
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Oh I say bad stuff about TMR all the time, I have no problem with that....I'm just looking at as business perspective.

Low Production:
Pros: Its limited and drives hype, lower money investment, takes up less space
Cons: May upset some customers, lower chance for total profits, higher price point

High Production:
Pros: Higher chance for total profits, more happy customers, drives price down
Cons: Higher production investment, takes up more space, inventory may just sit longer

So if it was my business with a limited amount of warehouse space and a busy staff trying to get a lot of stuff shipped already I would go with the limited release I could move fast. Not to mention the publicity that comes with a hyped product and being able to plaster that SOLD OUT label on stuff. Plus once one thing sells out people buy your next product faster as they don't want to miss it to. Keep that product flowing!