Vault #33

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Vault #33

Post by Kali Durga »

getbehindmejack wrote:Jack once said exactly the following on the vault in 2010: "we master our vinyl here in nashville with a person who only does vinyl mastering. why not send it out to so and so somewhere else? because cutting vinyl 'better' than the next cutter is practically indistinguishable."

100% dead wrong, sir. This new cut from Wes Garland isn't nearly as good. Harsher, some sibilance, not as defined, bass is lacking... and my copy is a little noisy. Score one for the original. Oh well, at least the new one is pretty looking, and the B-sides and demo albums are killer. So is the print! So it's mostly a win.
Jettkoral wrote:Icky Thump was the first WS album I owned on vinyl. I bought it at a local record store for close to $30, which seemed like a king's ransom to a twelve year old. My vault arrived today and it felt like the first time I was hearing the album. Although I was never able to see the White Stripes live, I've always felt a special bond with the band. Hearing an entire album full of demos was like three Christmases at once. The demo album is amazing, particularly instrumental versions of songs I've heard a million times. The B-Sides album is fantastic, mainly because I don't have to flip my 45s over frequently. The Beck tracks have always been some of my favorites. The book is fantastic, too. The preface to the book is exactly what I want to see more of, I was hanging on every word. This is what the vault is al about. Thank you, Third Man. Long live The White Stripes, long live Ecky Thump.
I've been waiting patiently for mine, but these two posts suddenly made me very, very impatient. I want to HEAR these records! What letter are they up to?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

getbehindmejack wrote:Jack once said exactly the following on the vault in 2010: "we master our vinyl here in nashville with a person who only does vinyl mastering. why not send it out to so and so somewhere else? because cutting vinyl 'better' than the next cutter is practically indistinguishable."

100% dead wrong, sir. This new cut from Wes Garland isn't nearly as good. Harsher, some sibilance, not as defined, bass is lacking... and my copy is a little noisy. Score one for the original. Oh well, at least the new one is pretty looking, and the B-sides and demo albums are killer. So is the print! So it's mostly a win.
Well, to be fair you can't really say something that sticks for all eternity because time marches on and things change. Specifically, equipment changes. If you go back in this thread to a post of mine related to the mastering to vinyl and the issue of the tape machine not having a preview head. I'm not sure how much, if any, this affected the new transfer but with any mastering house the equipment you use and the sound you are going for will influence the final product on vinyl. I've listened to Icky Thump (track) only for comparison quite a bit and what I hear is the vocals are a little brighter and the sibilance is a bit harsher. The CD version completely crushed any sibilance that may have been on the master. I think the sibilance harshness is part of boosting the vocals while toning the bass down just a tad. I would say the reissue sort of falls between the original pressing and the CD in terms of brightness and bass with the original sounding slightly dark compared to the other two sources. Jacks vocals sound more lively in the reissue to me. These aren't intensely drastic changes but subtle and definitely noticeable if you've listened to the vinyl a lot in the past 10 years. I'd be interested in getting a copy of the URP pressing that's come out in the past few years. Original was pressed at RTI in California which has a good reputation for quality. I think URP started pressing Icky 5-6 years ago. Based on what I saw then, I think the URP pressings come in pink plastic inner sleeves and the original RTI (which I have) came in lined white inner sleeves.

As for noise, I listened to the A side of the reissue and noticed several pops. I don't have a record cleaner, only a dry brush, so I haven't properly cleaned the records. Didn't have this happen with the original black, always has been quiet.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

Kali Durga wrote:
getbehindmejack wrote: I've been waiting patiently for mine, but these two posts suddenly made me very, very impatient. I want to HEAR these records! What letter are they up to?
My tracking is showing delivery scheduled for tomorrow, 28 Sept, D in USA
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I really can't wait to spin this. I've read stories about the original cutting process for Icky Thump and the fact this is a new cutting from the master tape excites me. I don't want to get into it too much until I've heard it myself. But I'm sure I'll have a lot to say once I can dive in.

The White Stripes are tied for my favorite band and this is one of my favorite albums of all time. Like Jett said, waiting for this package is like waiting for Christmas.

(UPDATE: Looks like it's scheduled for delivery today. "D" in Kentucky)
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

Will be patiently waiting your review Shane, I've been on the fence about getting the original SH cut! Some discussion on his forum already but nothing too specific.
IamFrank007
Little Acorn

Post by IamFrank007 »

Why is the outer box so dang big?? I am running out of space.
Frank is a funkasaurus rex......................
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Mine arrived today. Will be spinning throughout the evening.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

HOOOOOOLY SHIIIITTT!!!

This Vault package is hands-down my absolute favorite! Man, what CAN'T I say about it? "Icky Thump" sounds INCREDIBLE on my system. I don't know what you guys are talking about saying it's anything except outstanding. Sincerely, it's wonderful.

Just finishing up the Red Demos and I love this little glimpse into the process of putting these tunes together. A nice peek behind the curtain, as it were. THIS is why I joined the Vault all those years ago. The Stripes only gave us 6 studio albums so I naturally want more. This satisfied me for now. I know there must be unheard songs and outtakes still hidden away but I'm willing to wait. This was fantastic.

I already have all the Stripes 7" so the b-sides are already in my collection. I haven't played the Icky Thump Extras LP yet, it's coming up next. But I'm sure I'll love it.

The BOOK! Guys, the book. I love stuff like this. Blackwell, if you're reading this, you could release a book like this for every Stripes album and I would gobble that shit up in a second. I'm a studio junkie and this book truly made my night.

I'm not sure Third Man will be able to top this Vault. This is truly tops. Wow.
vandelpinkfloyd
Little Bird

Post by vandelpinkfloyd »

Thanks for the review Shane. You have any thoughts about the original Steve Hoffman master vs the new??
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

vandelpinkfloyd wrote:Thanks for the review Shane. You have any thoughts about the original Steve Hoffman master vs the new??
I need to hear them side by side. I'll likely do that tomorrow.
copter76
Little Bird

Post by copter76 »

Received mine...

Awesome pacjage but:

The new icky isn't on tip on cover like TMR announced:
 "Icky Thump is housed in a glorious tip-on sleeve with slightly modified artwork and sealed with a Victorian update on the original"
Mine have a regular cardboard sleeve...

The extra icky "luminescent lunar-colored" is actually on white vinyl

My B sides lp is badly warped and dirty (thanks united) ....

I will send an e mail to have a replacement.

The Rob Jones print has came with a bent corner :(

The box itself is giant...???? Why this size?

The ne Icky Thump sound awesome in my Rega P3!!!!
Last edited by copter76 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Maybe the box is big so you can put original, mono, and reissue in it.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
getbehindmejack
Little Acorn

Post by getbehindmejack »

rsimms3 wrote: Well, to be fair you can't really say something that sticks for all eternity because time marches on and things change. Specifically, equipment changes. If you go back in this thread to a post of mine related to the mastering to vinyl and the issue of the tape machine not having a preview head. I'm not sure how much, if any, this affected the new transfer but with any mastering house the equipment you use and the sound you are going for will influence the final product on vinyl. I've listened to Icky Thump (track) only for comparison quite a bit and what I hear is the vocals are a little brighter and the sibilance is a bit harsher. The CD version completely crushed any sibilance that may have been on the master. I think the sibilance harshness is part of boosting the vocals while toning the bass down just a tad. I would say the reissue sort of falls between the original pressing and the CD in terms of brightness and bass with the original sounding slightly dark compared to the other two sources. Jacks vocals sound more lively in the reissue to me. These aren't intensely drastic changes but subtle and definitely noticeable if you've listened to the vinyl a lot in the past 10 years. I'd be interested in getting a copy of the URP pressing that's come out in the past few years. Original was pressed at RTI in California which has a good reputation for quality. I think URP started pressing Icky 5-6 years ago. Based on what I saw then, I think the URP pressings come in pink plastic inner sleeves and the original RTI (which I have) came in lined white inner sleeves.

As for noise, I listened to the A side of the reissue and noticed several pops. I don't have a record cleaner, only a dry brush, so I haven't properly cleaned the records. Didn't have this happen with the original black, always has been quiet.
Didn't Steve Hoffman say that the original was the first record to be mastered from 2'' tape directly to vinyl or something? Without bouncing down in between? Gotta wonder in there was a digital intermediary in this new pressing. I don't mean to spit all over it, but it wasn't the behemoth I was hoping for. It sounds amazing until you put on the original...then you go "oh man, THIS is amazing!" I listened to the new one a little more last night, and I definitely don't hate it. But the 07 will always be my go-to-demo disc. :)

A few things I noticed....Copter76 has valid points about the lack of tip-on sleeves and the color the vinyl. Last night I noticed the edges of all of the LPs in my package are jagged, like they were trimmed with a dull blade. The spindle hole is so freakin' tight that it is almost impossible to get the demos LP off and on my turntable. (A little sandpaper will fix that.) After much listening last night, I've found all the LPs have substantial surface noise. Nit-picking? A little. But it's not hard to get this stuff right...or is it?

But...the best part of this package? The book. Seriously! Holy cow, freaking amazing. I must have gone through it three times. I love it!!!
icdvet
Little Ghost

Post by icdvet »

If anyone wants to trade or sell their Rob Jones print, please hit me up. I am downsizing a bit TMR-wise so you never know what I might be willing to offer.
Cheers!
Dear NSA, I hope that you enjoy this post.
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Which ones are you looking for?

Oh and btw, I love that double horse pin.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.