8-Track Tapes

Whatever's on your mind, spill it here
achouza
Little Ghost

8-Track Tapes

Post by achouza »

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on 8-track tapes in general. I know it was once very popular and completely died off with cassette tapes.

Does anybody here collect, use, or record 8 track tapes?

I heard that Cobain wanted to release In Utero with a different mix on an 8-track tape just to mess with people. I thought that was pretty cool

I am thinking about getting into 8-track recording / duplicating as a fun project.
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
elduderino
Little Ghost

Re: 8-Track Tapes

Post by elduderino »

talk to drdano.
he is everything i hate...
dr.dano
Little Cream Soda

Post by dr.dano »

shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

8 track always annoyed the piss out of me when I was a kid. My mom's boyfriend had a nice collection but it was always hard to find the song I wanted. Of course I know now that 8 track isn't really for those who want to hear specific songs, but entire albums. But back then? Forget about it.
dr.dano
Little Cream Soda

Post by dr.dano »

8-tracks were high end when they first came out, when they became popular with the kids is when they went cheap. bill lear created them , lear "carts"(the cool kids call them that) are the best designed ones still holding up today.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

dr.dano wrote:8-tracks were high end when they first came out, when they became popular with the kids is when they went cheap. bill lear created them , lear "carts"(the cool kids call them that) are the best designed ones still holding up today.
Oh, the sound quality is certainly superior to cassettes. No doubt. I worked at a college radio station from '96 to '98 and we used carts for all promotional material. And I've known people to harvest tape from 8 tracks for multitrack 1/4" reel to reels.
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

I keep getting into 8-tracks, been collecting punk ones, stooges, ramones etc...

decided to make some WS boots for my own consumption
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
achouza
Little Ghost

Post by achouza »

this is pretty cool, also love the dynamite player
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>