The "Live at the Gold Dollar" series

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
Kaber
Little People

Re: The "Live at the Gold Dollar" serie

Post by Kaber »

I'm sure these will be great.

Only thing I worry about sound quality after the b shows release.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

I just updated the first post with the available pics of the covers for vol 1 and 2. I hope they'll keep the same backcover design (and the same cover without text concept) for all the volumes.

For the sound quality, we already got the first two shows they recorded there, one of them beeing an open mic session. I think the sound quality will not be worst than that.

And the sound quality of the bshows reflects the sound quality of the show they played. So it's not a problem for me but we already had this discussion before :mrgreen:
Last edited by HappyDad on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

HappyDad wrote:I just updated the first post with the available pics of the covers for vol 1 and 2. I hope they'll keep the same backcover design (and the same cover without text concept) for all the volumes.

For the sound quality, we already got the first two shows they recorded there, one of them beeing an open mic session. I think the sound quality will not be worst than that.

And the sound quality of the bshows reflects the sound quality of the show they played. So it's not a problem for me but we already had this discussion before :mrgreen:
I'll have to disagree on the b-shows comment - if there are high quality recordings of their earliest shows then there is no reason that they shouldn't exist for those. :roll:
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Kaber wrote:
HappyDad wrote:I just updated the first post with the available pics of the covers for vol 1 and 2. I hope they'll keep the same backcover design (and the same cover without text concept) for all the volumes.

I'll have to disagree on the b-shows comment - if there are high quality recordings of their earliest shows then there is no reason that they shouldn't exist for those. :roll:

It's one thing to have high quality recordings of early gigs played at a place that seemed to be used to record every show and it's another to have high quality recordings of kinda improvised shows played in a retirement house, in the middle of the street etc... My point is that I'm not even sure that the public that was there got a better sound quality than the one we have one vinyl. And if so, the recording tools they may have could maybe not be the same as the professionnal one they had at the Gold Dollar.

---------------

Oh and I'm listening to mp3 versions of vol 1 and 2 and can listen to the three songs they played on both shows one after another. In one month, Meg's drumming is improving a lot! I think we can hear it the most on Jimmy the Exploder where she's very hesitant during the open mic session. I will say it again, but I love this serie!
The french White Stripes | Third Mand Records | Raconteurs | Dead Weather board : Join the French Fun
--> JUST HERE
koala
Little Acorn

Post by koala »

The sound clip they've put with the announcement doesn't sound so bad.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

As Bikedo pointed out over in the Vault 26 thread, let's just hope and pray they dont' string these out too much. If they're the basis for future Vault packages rather than something released outside the Vault, I would hope for one, sometimes two, per year.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

The sound quality won't be perfect, but it will be good. Remember, all the B-Show audio came from video cameras. Video cameras are made for capturing video and not audio, hence the poor quality. These shows were recorded with decent mics for the time period. Remember, we're talking about a bar whose sole purpose is to sell beer and put on shows, not to meticulously document the music for the evening. I think the audio is pretty damn stellar given the lineage listed on the Gold Dollar site. My fear is when he does mention audio taken from a video camera, at least one of these shows is available in video format so hopefully there's a soundboard of that show as an alternative. The B-Shows release should not be the standard by which these are judged, the previous Gold Dollar releases should be used and those were sourced from a cassette tape where releases from this point forward are using the original master tapes or at least good digital dubs.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

rsimms3 wrote:The sound quality won't be perfect, but it will be good. Remember, all the B-Show audio came from video cameras. Video cameras are made for capturing video and not audio, hence the poor quality. These shows were recorded with decent mics for the time period. Remember, we're talking about a bar whose sole purpose is to sell beer and put on shows, not to meticulously document the music for the evening. I think the audio is pretty damn stellar given the lineage listed on the Gold Dollar site. My fear is when he does mention audio taken from a video camera, at least one of these shows is available in video format so hopefully there's a soundboard of that show as an alternative. The B-Shows release should not be the standard by which these are judged, the previous Gold Dollar releases should be used and those were sourced from a cassette tape where releases from this point forward are using the original master tapes or at least good digital dubs.
Adam,

I forgot that was video sourced audio - that explains a lot. No idea why they didn't record the audio directly. Thought that most modern performers did that wherever they performed.

They may perhaps include some related/supporting acts in some of these Gold Dollar Detroit Vault packages?
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Kaber wrote:
They may perhaps include some related/supporting acts in some of these Gold Dollar Detroit Vault packages?
Having the full audio of some shows would be fantastic. For example :

02/07/1998 : White Stripes w/ Soldad Brothers
Fri 10/23/1998 - Hentchmen, White Stripes
Fri 10/20/2000 - White Stripes, The Hentchmen
Sat 10/21/2000 - White Stripes, The Whirlwind Heat

Or, in my wildest dreams :

Fri 11/26/1999 - White Stripes & The Go ...
--> JUST HERE
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

At least a couple of songs from each of those bands ^^ on the accompanying 7" would be great.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

HappyDad wrote:
Kaber wrote:
Having the full audio of some shows would be fantastic. For example :

02/07/1998 : White Stripes w/ Soldad Brothers
Fri 10/23/1998 - Hentchmen, White Stripes
Fri 10/20/2000 - White Stripes, The Hentchmen
Sat 10/21/2000 - White Stripes, The Whirlwind Heat

Or, in my wildest dreams :

Fri 11/26/1999 - White Stripes & The Go ...
This ^^^

That would make for great Vault material ! Old live WS and never available before performances from the opening bands on vinyl - That's a vault package :-)
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: The

Post by Kali Durga »

Alabama Woody wrote:[Old live WS and never available before performances from the opening bands on vinyl - That's a vault package :-)
I'll second that.
HappyDad
Little Ghost

Post by HappyDad »

Kali Durga wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:[Old live WS and never available before performances from the opening bands on vinyl - That's a vault package :-)
I'll second that.
I'll IIIrd that.

That would just be an awesome pack.

If some of the 2008 shows are short it would be cool to have some 10"s.
--> JUST HERE
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

Another one that would like to see that too, altho the copyright issues involved in that tell me that is kind of unlikely to happen.
This machine steals souls.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Not necessarily. A member of the Soledad Brothers and of Whirlwind Heat each work with Jack these days, and it probably wouldn't be too hard for them to work their old connections with the Hentchmen. Though I'm probably being naive about how that stuff works.