Album: Get Behind Me Satan

Rag and Bone to Inchophone
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Album: Get Behind Me Satan

Post by Alabama Woody »

DBMTB wrote:OK just a little quick comparison...

Only based on 3 songs from side 2 - as it has a good dynamic range.

Promo - definitely more dynamic. Sound of treble percussion (maracas?) is less pronounced on the new version - possibly as there is audible distortion on the original mix. Generally a more homogenous sound on the new one, which also has more surface noise in quiet passages too.

Now I've previously complained about sound of the distorting (brickwalling in recording process?) maracas on the promo version - so it seems they've tried to conceal it slightly.

Ugly as I am - sounds better on the new version. Seems clearer-sounding.

Denial Twist - seems maracas seem pushed slightly back in the mix again - probably to conceal brickwalling again. Cymbals are more pronounced and have more resonance on the promo.
Thanks for your review. I'm looking forward to getting my GBMS in the mail.
Sounds like this one will sound better than the promo or maybe it's just a personal preference thing. I thought the promo sounded pretty bad myself. The CD sounded so much better .... To me.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

ymagirl wrote:I came home yesterday, satisfied with my conquest.

I sat on a stool in the 'sweet spot' between my speakers and blew my mind.

All in all, a good RSD.
I hope to have this experience !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Bikedo wrote:Both my records have the C and D side labels.
Anybody else have this or do I need to up my insurance?
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Why go through the trouble of putting thewhitestripes.com on gatefold?
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Quexzea
Little Bird

Post by Quexzea »

dreamover wrote:My store had it for $36! Seems like the best price I've seen.

You and me both! I paid $36 also
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

Bikedo wrote:
Bikedo wrote:Both my records have the C and D side labels.
Anybody else have this or do I need to up my insurance?
Can't remember where I read it, maybe in the LR, but someone else had this with their's, too.
carlbelvin
Little Cream Soda

Post by carlbelvin »

Anyone else notice the first LP has the flat 78-esk edge while the second LP does not? Am i just imaging this? Have I gone crazy? Am I drunk? You decide tonight at 10.
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

After a good zerostat-shot and vacuum cleaning, I finally got around to listening earlier this evening, and this record sounds incredible. One of the best sounding records I've received in a while.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

dreamover wrote:After a good zerostat-shot and vacuum cleaning, I finally got around to listening earlier this evening, and this record sounds incredible. One of the best sounding records I've received in a while.

Good to hear !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
DBMTB
Little Bird

Post by DBMTB »

Still available here...
http://moby-disc.dk/vinyl/get-behind-me ... l?___SID=U

Now sold out folks....
Lolmann
Little Bird

Post by Lolmann »

DBMTB wrote:Still available here...
http://moby-disc.dk/vinyl/get-behind-me ... l?___SID=U

Now sold out folks....
I wrote them saturday but now they sold the last copy -.-

Or not looks like i got one of the last copys :D
Last edited by Lolmann on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

hunkswithguns wrote:The altered track listing will take some getting used to (died a little inside when Denial Twist didn't follow Little Ghost). I was also really thrown off by the deliberate gaps between each song. The gaps work for the most part but I sorely miss how The Nurse bleeds into My Doorbell and especially the jarring, whacked out moment when Instinct Blues collapses into Passive Manipulation. To me, that is a defining moment of the record's zany, one-of-a-kind energy.
Those gaps bugged me, too, so many of the songs end so abruptly on this mix. And the change in the tracklist bothers me exactly as much as I knew it would. When I rip this for the car, I will definitely change the track order back to what I'm used to. Segueing from Ugly into Denial Twist just aggravates me too much.

Those issues aside, this thing sounds fantastic. I don't listen to cds at home, so I've actually only ever heard this album in my car up until now. Hearing Take, Take, Take bounce from one side of the room to the other put a huge grin on my face. And Ugly As I Seem made me cry, between Jack's voice and that gorgeous Gibson L-1 it was just overwhelming. Wonder how long until the black vinyl version is released (presuming there will be one). I may wear this one out before long.

Oh, and let me join the list of heretics who are not bothered by the new album art.

carlbelvin wrote:Anyone else notice the first LP has the flat 78-esk edge while the second LP does not? Am i just imaging this? Have I gone crazy? Am I drunk? You decide tonight at 10.
Mine are even weirder-- Both albums each have a bit of both edges. So when I'm holding them in my hands, one hand feels a flat edge and the other feels a rounded edge.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
SympathyForTheVinyl
Little Bird

Post by SympathyForTheVinyl »

I must say I actually discover the album, as if I never listened to it before... Things I had never heard now ring in my ear... Mostly on As Ugly as I Seem, Forever For Her and The Nurse... Maybe it's just that I listen to it for the first time on vinyl, but actually, I think the record sounds amazing. Besides we've been waiting for it for so long that it sounds even more incredible ! It could have been the other way round...
SympathyForTheVinyl
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

SympathyForTheVinyl wrote:I must say I actually discover the album, as if I never listened to it before... Things I had never heard now ring in my ear... Mostly on As Ugly as I Seem, Forever For Her and The Nurse... Maybe it's just that I listen to it for the first time on vinyl, but actually, I think the record sounds amazing. Besides we've been waiting for it for so long that it sounds even more incredible ! It could have been the other way round...
I agree, The Nurse is like a different song without the wash of cymbals and effects that you hear on the digital version. This release sounds great, but the revised order and gaps between the songs spoil it a bit for me.
SympathyForTheVinyl
Little Bird

Post by SympathyForTheVinyl »

dunedin wrote:
SympathyForTheVinyl wrote:I must say I actually discover the album, as if I never listened to it before... Things I had never heard now ring in my ear... Mostly on As Ugly as I Seem, Forever For Her and The Nurse... Maybe it's just that I listen to it for the first time on vinyl, but actually, I think the record sounds amazing. Besides we've been waiting for it for so long that it sounds even more incredible ! It could have been the other way round...
I agree, The Nurse is like a different song without the wash of cymbals and effects that you hear on the digital version. This release sounds great, but the revised order and gaps between the songs spoil it a bit for me.
I thought it spoiled a bit the whole thing the first time I listened to it. But now that i have listened to it quite a few times I'm getting used to it. There are positive aspects and negative ones about this release, but on the whole, there are more positive aspects, so...

But I never listened to the promo version, so maybe I would have been a bit less overwhelmed if I had.
SympathyForTheVinyl