What scales is Jack using in this song?....

Discuss The Racs here
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

What scales is Jack using in this song?....

Post by monkhey »

These solos are insane!!! I've been playing guitar for a while now, but these sound foreign to me. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

Re: What scales is Jack using in this song?....

Post by I Ate The Walrus »

Pentatonic scale, which he pretty much uses exclusively. Use the A minor Pentatonic.
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

I Ate The Walrus wrote:Pentatonic scale, which he pretty much uses exclusively. Use the A minor Pentatonic.

Hmm..I definitely hear some minor pentatonic, but, he's mixing it with something else as well.
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

Try throwing in a B note
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

I do not think Jack really thinks in terms of scales, he feels his way around the fretboard. Try playing the A minor pentatonic on one string for throw in a couple of notes along the way, I think that is basically it.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

love_islander wrote:

Is there a bigger cop out in stand up comedy than using a puppet or props?

I hate Jeff Dunham...
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I think what you're looking for is modes. After 25 years of playing, having plunged deeply in the waters of theory once-upon-a-time...cutting my teeth on Jimi...I can tell you, with utmost confidence: learn it ALL..then...forget it. Play what you feel, and you'll never lose.

http://www.modemaster.com/
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

mojoryan wrote:I think what you're looking for is modes. After 25 years of playing, having plunged deeply in the waters of theory once-upon-a-time...cutting my teeth on Jimi...I can tell you, with utmost confidence: learn it ALL..then...forget it. Play what you feel, and you'll never lose.

I know nothing about music theory. And, I can shred with the best of em'. But sometimes it annoys me that I don't know anything about music theory. I don't even know what modes are lol. What are modes?
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

monkhey wrote:
mojoryan wrote:I think what you're looking for is modes. After 25 years of playing, having plunged deeply in the waters of theory once-upon-a-time...cutting my teeth on Jimi...I can tell you, with utmost confidence: learn it ALL..then...forget it. Play what you feel, and you'll never lose.

I know nothing about music theory. And, I can shred with the best of em'. But sometimes it annoys me that I don't know anything about music theory. I don't even know what modes are lol. What are modes?
This is perhaps a better place to start regarding modes. http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/f/modes.htm
...words to live by.
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

mojoryan wrote:
monkhey wrote:

This is perhaps a better place to start regarding modes. http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/f/modes.htm

Still don't understand lol. But, thanks anyway!
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

The 1st of a scale is the root; it "defines" the scale by conventional means. Now, start with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., and move through the scale- allowing it to move beyond the confines of the standard 8 notes, and you'll find all sorts of interesting sound combinations happening. If you're really interested in theory, find a backlog of Guitar magazine from the mid to late 80's into the early nineties; they were rife with all kinds of great theory knowledge. Either that, or plunge headlong into the world of Satriani/Vai, practice about 8 hours a day for 5 years, and come out bruised and dizzy on the other side. ;)
...words to live by.
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

mojoryan wrote:The 1st of a scale is the root; it "defines" the scale by conventional means. Now, start with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., and move through the scale- allowing it to move beyond the confines of the standard 8 notes, and you'll find all sorts of interesting sound combinations happening. If you're really interested in theory, find a backlog of Guitar magazine from the mid to late 80's into the early nineties; they were rife with all kinds of great theory knowledge. Either that, or plunge headlong into the world of Satriani/Vai, practice about 8 hours a day for 5 years, and come out bruised and dizzy on the other side. ;)

I would never want to sound like Satriani or Vai, but I prefer Vai. He played with Zappa!
I Ate The Walrus
Little Cream Soda

monkhey wrote:

You know nothing? Good, Jack doesn't either.

Like mojoryan said, you will want to learn as much as you can about music theory and playing with scales but the best of them are not thinking about that when they perform. I am seeing G3 this Saturday, 3 brilliant guitarists will be on stage and all 3 know a hell of a lot more about guitar and theory then I do. But what I do know is that when Steve Vai is playing Tender Surrender on a 17 neck 12 string guitar...he is not thinking about scales, he is thinking about how to get the sound in his head out of his instrument.

You do not need to look at modes and complex theory right now, if you want to play blue veins then just listen and find the notes that are being played and try them yourself. You can find stacks of awesome, close up footage of Jack playing the solo on youtube.
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

monkhey wrote:
mojoryan wrote:The 1st of a scale is the root; it "defines" the scale by conventional means. Now, start with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., and move through the scale- allowing it to move beyond the confines of the standard 8 notes, and you'll find all sorts of interesting sound combinations happening. If you're really interested in theory, find a backlog of Guitar magazine from the mid to late 80's into the early nineties; they were rife with all kinds of great theory knowledge. Either that, or plunge headlong into the world of Satriani/Vai, practice about 8 hours a day for 5 years, and come out bruised and dizzy on the other side. ;)

I would never want to sound like Satriani or Vai, but I prefer Vai. He played with Zappa!
Definitely not suggesting anyone give up their musical identity t sound like anyone; always be yourself. I was merely referring to a road I took. I actually shelved that kind of playing about 18 years ago, in favor of writing actual songs. That kind of playing- while technically brilliant- does very little for me anymore. It seems incredibly self-absorbed...now, I refer to it as musical masturbation. It's just wanking, ya know? But, I'm definitely glad I went down the theory path-once-upon-a-time.
...words to live by.