HELP NORTON RECORDS: FLOODED BY SANDY

Get in on the ground floor...
cmelo

HELP NORTON RECORDS: FLOODED BY SANDY

Post by cmelo »

Heartbreaking photos for any music lover. Norton's looking for volunteers in Red Hook, Brooklyn.

http://www.dustandgrooves.com/norton-re ... ane-sandy/
mangry
Little Ghost

Re: HELP NORTON RECORDS: FLOODED BY SANDY

Post by mangry »

Damn I wish I could get there to help.

On a side note, you can't clean, dry, and repackage an MP3. :)
Hyperbole used for effect!
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

Donate to Norton -- help save a label that helps save rock history. http://nortonville.blogspot.com/

"For the first time in Norton’s history, we are asking for your help. It has been entirely against our policy and nature to ask anyone for anything, in the entire history of our magazine and label. It hurts us to even suggest that any of you who have supported the label and our artists by purchasing Norton records over the years, to support us over and above with a donation. But it has indeed come to this. We have added a donate button to our website. Here’s the story. Every penny of what you donate will go into remanufacturing record jackets and sleeves for the vinyl that we salvage. No donation money will go into our day to day expenses so long as we can go forward on a minimal budget....

...Nearly all of the Norton Records stock – our label’s LPs, CDs, 45s, picture sleeves, CD booklets, record labels and more, as well as the stock on other labels we distribute including Relic, Crypt and Stompin’ merchandise plus mail order-only stock...

Our entire Norton archive went underwater, including all of our correspondence, photos, documents, reviews, master tapes, ephemera, posters,...and virtually all of the old magazines and fanzines which went back to the 1940’s, again, numbering into the several thousands, interview tapes, 25 years of correspondences with Norton artists, original photographs, original rock n’ roll and movie posters, Norton business records....

The shock and horror of the loss on every level is difficult to deal with, but we are clinging to the hope of surviving as a label by saving the records. We will them proceed with re-manufacturing 7” sleeves and LP jackets one title at a time."
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

I don't want to seem like a dick, but perhaps I need more info here - to me it sounds like they didn't insure all this stuff. That's just bad business; and I'm against the proliferation of stupidity amongst the human race
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

love_islander wrote:I don't want to seem like a dick, but perhaps I need more info here - to me it sounds like they didn't insure all this stuff. That's just bad business; and I'm against the proliferation of stupidity amongst the human race
i feel bad for them but thats what i was thinking too.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

I guess you could always ask them if you were concerned.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Maybe they were insured, maybe not.

By the same token, some of our favorite musical artists are total dicks and/or morons, but their music would still be worth saving.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

Right on.
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

Insurance can only go so far for these guys. WFMU was insured but is still really hurting from the storm. They need whatever help they can get.
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

hellosmith wrote:Insurance can only go so far for these guys. WFMU was insured but is still really hurting from the storm. They need whatever help they can get.
I heard about them too. Transmitters and everything fried, record fair canceled this year. Unbelievable.

EDIT: From their blog -- "All kidding aside, the cancellation of the record fair is a financial disaster for us: it turns an event that would've raised $70,000 into an event that loses almost that much."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

so... here's whats happening with Norton these days ... http://www.nortonrecords.com/home.php
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

Hey Tri-Staters --

NORTON RECORDS 45 RPM Buff-A-Thon!
Calling all 45 RPM luvvin' volunteers!
One big night at the fabulous BELL HOUSE!!
149 7th Street Brooklyn, NY 11215
Wednesday, December 5th
5 to 11:45pm

FREE!

Lotsa Boss DJ's blastin' all nite long!
FREE ADMISSION KIDS!

THE HOUND (The Cold Blooded Hound!)
MICK COLLINS (Dirtbombs)
REX (Fool's Paradise, WFMU)
TODD-O-PHONIC TODD (Telstar Records)
DAVE THE SPAZZ (Music To Spazz By, WFMU)
LEAH BETH (Nouvellas)
DREW REDMOND (Metropolis Vintage)
AVI SPIVAK (Norton Records)
CHARLY HIMMEL (Norton Records)
NEIL DEVLIN (Norton Records)

Seven inch records clean infinitely faster than the LPs that we’ve done at the two Brooklyn Bowl Wash-A-Thons but there are a lot of them! Bring along some rolls of paper towels and a pair of plastic gloves and let's give the wax a rubdown! Norton's seven inchers got soaked by Sandy and all the boss picture sleeves are now history. Help us dip n' dry these sevens back into action- come on over and don't forget the elbow grease! Plenty of wild 45s will be spun all night long!

http://nortonville.blogspot.com/2012/12 ... house.html