Record Pressing

Get in on the ground floor...
MuleSkinner
Little Acorn

Record Pressing

Post by MuleSkinner »

So with all the folks on here that have their own record labels, who do you get to do your pressings? I assume most use URP, but from what I have heard, they can take quite a while to get to your order since the major labels use them as well.

I'm contemplating getting a record pressed and looking for feedback to get the most bang for my buck without going too much in the hole too badly. I know there's no money to be made with small labels, but I don't want to lose more than I have to.

Any suggestions?
greginchains
Little Ghost

Re: Record Pressing

Post by greginchains »

I think a similar thread has recommended or other pressing plants at least mentioned by name.
I only wanted to be good enough, but I'm not.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I know Grim uses Gotta Groove in Ohio. There's a small plant in Detroit still as well. I think smaller labels don't use URP a lot because they are so busy as you mentioned. There's also Pirate Press in California that does everything including flexis. There's another one, but I can't think of the name right off. I think they are mainly known for picture discs.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
TheHen0
Little Ghost

Post by TheHen0 »

Are you thinking of Rainbo?
There's also EKS in Brooklyn.
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

The Polyphonic Spree / Good Records folks have used A&R to press vinyl here in Dallas. They'll let you mix the color feed by hand if you want. No clue what the cost is but I was able to pitch in for a few hours to mix colors for some they were pressing for RSD this year. It was really fun, and one of the factory worker ladies had some great homemade tamales that she shared with us. :)
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

Detroits archer pressing is where it's at.

went through the early stages w/ URP & Rainbo, they just don't have the time (and rightfully so) for a guy is looking to press 200 records or something. I'd recomend going w/ a small place instead of getting into it w/ one of the big guys.
houses are full of things that gather dust
Grimtale
Little People

Post by Grimtale »

The one thing that will blow your mind once you get into understanding what all is involved is the dang cost.
To compete in todays world of tri-color, swirly, split, GITD, etched, liquid filled, etc... you can spend a small fortune putting out a release.
Plain black records just seem so bland in todays times and even a small run of them is expensive. I wish a press would open up that could make it happen in a much more economical way without it being a flexi...
There would be a lot more music pumping out in the street if there was
Grim
I am everything you hate...
MuleSkinner
Little Acorn

Post by MuleSkinner »

I was thinking about using Musicol http://www.musicolrecording.com/. Anyone have good or bad experience with them?
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

If you don't mind your recurds cut instead of pressed then I highly recomend http://www.corporaterecords.biz/
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

I use Gotta Groove and I have used Pirate's press. I've been very happy with Gotta groove, but I've known people who have had bad experiences with them. Pirate's Press makes cool looking vinyl, but gets really pricey. Pirate's press is actually a middle-man for GZ in The Czech Republic. So you have to pay for shipping overseas, then freight from California. They're not always to up-front about that. The other thing that sucks is they use Direct Metal Mastering, which is more of a computerized method of pressing vinyl, and not a truly analog technique. Sometimes with their funky colors, people complain about dust or sand stuck to their records.

If you're asking about Musicol- They are definitely not a one-stop-shop. Their prices look real good, but you have to realize they don't do any of the mastering or plating. You have to commission someone like Aardvark to do all the metal parts and plating, then Muicol will do the records. I remember my buddy pressed records there, they sounded pretty good, but they were recycled vinyl that didn't have very clean edges. At least the guy was nice enough to put a knife in the box for him to round the edges.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

I've been looking for a place to get a record pressed as well. I want to do something special for my girlfriend and I for our anniversary.
Melon
Little Ghost

Post by Melon »

arewhyehen wrote:I've been looking for a place to get a record pressed as well. I want to do something special for my girlfriend and I for our anniversary.
if you are only looking to get a few made (10ish or less) then you gotta go lathe. Corporate Records is the place for that!: corporaterecords.biz
houses are full of things that gather dust
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I know absolutely nothing about where to get records pressed, but after looking at some of the pictures on http://www.corporaterecords.biz/ , they seem like an awesome place to go to get something creative and unique done with your records.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

RE: corporaterecordz.biz - They are just cutting plastic, they aren't pressing as mentioned. Also, they only do mono so your source will need to be properly mastered in mono or you run the risk of phase issues and some other weird stuff. Also, there's the issue of durability. You won't get as many plays from a lathe cut record compared to a pressed record. Not badmouthing them, just something to consider when plunking down your hard earned cash.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

rsimms3 wrote:RE: corporaterecordz.biz - They are just cutting plastic, they aren't pressing as mentioned. Also, they only do mono so your source will need to be properly mastered in mono or you run the risk of phase issues and some other weird stuff. Also, there's the issue of durability. You won't get as many plays from a lathe cut record compared to a pressed record. Not badmouthing them, just something to consider when plunking down your hard earned cash.
Cool, thanks for the info. I quickly looked at them when others above mentioned but didn't have time to really read up on them. I'll look more into it later