Grimtale Records

Get in on the ground floor...
achouza
Little Ghost

Re: Grimtale Records

Post by achouza »

shaneoftheroad wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:15 am
anonymousbrunette wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm I thought Swirl declined because a few assholes made it a pretty unpleasant place for a while and someone decided to create a Facebook cult that while saccharine and vapid seemed more appealing than hanging out with a bunch of cranky collectors. But I could be wrong.
You certainly have to be willing to take some abuse posting anything sincere here.

And my label is about to release three new records this year. They won't sell. I'll lose money. But fuck it. Why not?
Nice! Whats your label?

I love Grimtale records and all the swirl labels. For a couple years I tried buying all 45s put out by swirlers, just to support the community. All these labels motivated me to start my own money losing label as well :)

Agree with Mark on the general trend being representative of all indie labels.
<<<< Ahuevooo! >>>>
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I also collect several Swirl labels. I missed the boat on Ara's first release with This Could Go Boom but I'm hoping to track it down. That's a label I want to collect.

Mine is called Tinker Tone Records but I've also been heavily involved in Jett Plastic Recordings the past several years. I just signed a new release for Tinker Tone last week, after a two year hiatus. I'm planning three new releases this year.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Stl_ben wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:02 pm
anonymousbrunette wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:34 pm
Stl_ben wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:20 pm
Grimtale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm Hasn't this been the case with every indie label releases? I don't think the phenomenon you are describing is unique to Grimtale, I think its indicative of the whole vinyl/indie/limited edition craze we have all gone through the past few years. No different than TMR or any other indie label I've followed.
I agree this has happened with lots of labels over the last few years. TMR is an excellent example as we can all see how Dead Swirl is here in general. But yeah I think once any label shutters its doors and stops releasing new stuff it often really hurts the market. But again thats not just this hobby, for instance I collect art work by Olly Moss and as he has changed career paths and stopped making print art it has really put a damper on the demand for his previous worker that at one time (similar to grimtale releases) was very in demand. But once again with both his stuff, the best and brightest pieces still are very much in demand, its the lesser pieces that people wanted just for the "whole set" that dropped.
I thought Swirl declined because a few assholes made it a pretty unpleasant place for a while and someone decided to create a Facebook cult that while saccharine and vapid seemed more appealing than hanging out with a bunch of cranky collectors. But I could be wrong.
I would say that was for sure one reason it declined. Another being the old school fans have moved on. The biggest probably just being all message boards are dying. Facebook has killed them as its just so much more convenient for most people.
Yeah I would say the convenience of Facebook has really killed places like this. I have seen it with other band forums as well. I will say that I do come back here because its nice to see some old familiar faces. There has definitely been a big decline in a lot of the swirl members at events over the years. Events just aren't as fun or "inviting" as they used to be now with this new crowd.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Grimtale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 pm Well... at the age of 49, I recently had a major heart attack. Life changing event for sure. Other than that, rockin!
Mark
Jeeze Mark. Really sorry to hear that. Really happy to see you're doing well though.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Grimtale wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm Hasn't this been the case with every indie label releases? I don't think the phenomenon you are describing is unique to Grimtale, I think its indicative of the whole vinyl/indie/limited edition craze we have all gone through the past few years. No different than TMR or any other indie label I've followed.
Agreed. Either my interest in the indie labels have declined drastically (proving Mark's point even further) or haven't most of these indie labels died or almost completely shut down now? I think for most people the shiny new colourful variants were exciting at first, but there are only so many things to try, so once that ran out, so did the interest. The ones that hold the most value to people are the ones that actually struck a chord with the music being released on that particular single. There are definitely a few GRIM releases like this for me that I will never get rid of.
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

First post here in like three years, but for me the community fractured so much that it probably took the collector frenzy with it. I had a lot more fun collecting and participating when the people were, you know, fun to be around. There got to be so much infighting and drama that no one has time for. I got off all the groups and just buy pieces from time to time in quiet solitude.

I do miss the fun vibes from about 6 years ago. Hoping the vibes at the tmr 10 year party are like that!!
Hyperbole used for effect!
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Ps just got a copy of 78 Pieces on eBay for about the same price as original price and I’m glad I did. Cool record! Ready for Soledad Bros at the 10 year party!
Hyperbole used for effect!