Swirler's record companies

Get in on the ground floor...
jastro
Little Bird

Re: Swirler's record companies

Post by jastro »

monkeys wrote:What company do you all use to press the records?
I also looked at URP when I was searching for a pressing plant. Their instant quote generator was a great starting point when I was initially looking at pressing records.
However, going with the good advice of choosing a plant that's closer, I went with Rainbo Records. They were really easy to work with, and the process as a whole was really smooth (even if my project wasn't the most complex). I definitely plan to use them again with future projects.
mojaveplastics.com
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

Grimtale wrote:
I really wanted to use URP based on it being Nashville based and TMR related and all that but...
When I started down the path with them, I quickly felt like a little fish in a big sea. All the little crazy things I wanted to do just didn't seem to work out with their plans and little charges started stacking up quickly. I spent some time on the phone with them and was feeling even more like a little fish.

Did some asking around and found Gotta Groove records in Cleveland, OH http://gottagrooverecords.com/. The guy that runs it, Matt Early is an amazing guy to work with. He was all into what ever little customizations I wanted. It was as if he was as excited about what I was doing as I was. I can't say enough good things about my experience. Solid communications, took lots of time to answer all my questions, let me make lots of changes on the fly, no surprises, etc... I felt like I was in a local custom boutique shop where they are as interested in building a customer relationship as much as making money, something you don't find much these days.

YMMV but I know where I'll be getting all my future stuff pressed. Now having said all that, 7" records are not a money making deal for anyone. If you break even, you are damn lucky. I know I didn't... but for me it's about having fun and putting some cool music I like on wax, not making money.

Grim
Funny. Ween's Chocodog Records uses Gotta Groove for vinyl pressing.
monkeys
Little Bird

Post by monkeys »

Thanks for the info, Grim.
Grimtale wrote:
I really wanted to use URP based on it being Nashville based and TMR related and all that but...
When I started down the path with them, I quickly felt like a little fish in a big sea. All the little crazy things I wanted to do just didn't seem to work out with their plans and little charges started stacking up quickly. I spent some time on the phone with them and was feeling even more like a little fish.

Did some asking around and found Gotta Groove records in Cleveland, OH http://gottagrooverecords.com/. The guy that runs it, Matt Early is an amazing guy to work with. He was all into what ever little customizations I wanted. It was as if he was as excited about what I was doing as I was. I can't say enough good things about my experience. Solid communications, took lots of time to answer all my questions, let me make lots of changes on the fly, no surprises, etc... I felt like I was in a local custom boutique shop where they are as interested in building a customer relationship as much as making money, something you don't find much these days.

YMMV but I know where I'll be getting all my future stuff pressed. Now having said all that, 7" records are not a money making deal for anyone. If you break even, you are damn lucky. I know I didn't... but for me it's about having fun and putting some cool music I like on wax, not making money.

Grim
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

Go to the website and order some stuff:

http://www.PugFaceRecords.com

<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
jastro
Little Bird

Post by jastro »

Quick question;
Do any of you send your music in for professional mastering?
I'm just wondering if it's really an important step for a small independent label to utilize.
mojaveplastics.com
chanticleer
Little Cream Soda

Post by chanticleer »

Grimtale wrote:Did some asking around and found Gotta Groove records in Cleveland, OH http://gottagrooverecords.com/. The guy that runs it, Matt Early is an amazing guy to work with. He was all into what ever little customizations I wanted. It was as if he was as excited about what I was doing as I was. I can't say enough good things about my experience. Solid communications, took lots of time to answer all my questions, let me make lots of changes on the fly, no surprises, etc... I felt like I was in a local custom boutique shop where they are as interested in building a customer relationship as much as making money, something you don't find much these days.
Hmm, that's really interesting. I wonder if they're using the old press that Boddie used?

(I'm a big fan of Numero's reissues; a few months back they released a boxset from the archive of the Boddie Recording Company which was based in Cleveland until the owner died. For decades, it was the only entirely black-owned record pressing plant and label in America; it's worth getting the boxset for the essays that talk about how it ran, how the wife sat next to the press feeding in pucks and taking out records whilst watching TV, etc. I've often wondered where the press ended up.)
MuleSkinner
Little Acorn

Post by MuleSkinner »

Not really "my" label, but I lend a helping hand from time to time.

Going to be releasing a Hasil Adkins LP called "COAL MINES AND CAR CRASHES" sometime this year.

http://www.wrecked-em.com
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

Cool thread!

I run Dreamover Records here in Chicago, IL. So far we've just done 12" vinyl. Our first three releases were LP reissues by the bands Brandtson and Emery, though most of you may not be interested in them. I'm really excited about our fourth release, as it's from my local friends, Secret Colours. They're more of a psychedelic pop-rock band. Think of an American Oasis or Blur with more shoegazy influences. We're doing a limited pressing of only 300 copies all on random colored vinyl. I just got the colored test presses and they sound amazing. They're also real heavy at almost 180 gram and look really cool. Here's a picture of how one of em came out:

Anyway, please check these guys out, if you like what you hear, pick up a copy. We could really use the support, and being a Third Man fan (also spending time with many of you in Nashville this last weekend), I know how great and interested everyone can be. Here's their new music video for the first song on the EP, called Faust:

You can preorder the record here: http://dreamover.limitedrun.com They should be shipping in just a few weeks.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Don't forget about Jett's company...
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

wow, very impressive video and song!
wicked.
dreamover wrote:Cool thread!

I run Dreamover Records here in Chicago, IL. So far we've just done 12" vinyl. Our first three releases were LP reissues by the bands Brandtson and Emery, though most of you may not be interested in them. I'm really excited about our fourth release, as it's from my local friends, Secret Colours. They're more of a psychedelic pop-rock band. Think of an American Oasis or Blur with more shoegazy influences. We're doing a limited pressing of only 300 copies all on random colored vinyl. I just got the colored test presses and they sound amazing. They're also real heavy at almost 180 gram and look really cool. Here's a picture of how one of em came out:

Anyway, please check these guys out, if you like what you hear, pick up a copy. We could really use the support, and being a Third Man fan (also spending time with many of you in Nashville this last weekend), I know how great and interested everyone can be. Here's their new music video for the first song on the EP, called Faust:

You can preorder the record here: http://dreamover.limitedrun.com They should be shipping in just a few weeks.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Jettkoral wrote:Don't forget about Jett's company...
Well unless you've actually put something out (free downloads don't count, anyone could do that), you aren't really a label. It's like dry humping- it doesn't count...
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

Hamptonio wrote:wow, very impressive video and song!
wicked.
Thanks! I love the video. I'm packing up some test presses right now for them to take down to their Austin Psych Fest performance this weekend. The regular copies should start shipping in the next couple weeks. Really excited. They actually just finished their next full length and it sounds great. They're shopping some pretty big labels, so hopefully lots of people will be listening to these guys pretty soon. They did three shows at SXSW this year and they all went pretty great.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:
Jettkoral wrote:Don't forget about Jett's company...
Well unless you've actually put something out (free downloads don't count, anyone could do that), you aren't really a label. It's like dry humping- it doesn't count...
Wait... Dry humping doesn't count? Lol
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

when you're 13 dry humping is everything...
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

I said that to a 13 yr old...shit. I meant go watch TV and don't frequent sites like these anymore. They're bad for your health. :D
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III