Worldwide - Since 2012
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Re: Jack White @ The Ryman

Post by Alabama Woody »

ellisintransit wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:
dunedin wrote:
Alabama Woody wrote:Just now sinking in what I saw the past couple of nights. What a great time. Seems like his shows last 5 minutes, that's when you know your digging it.

Can't wait till August to go to Red Rocks, thanks to running in to Bobby in line at the Ryman I found out that Neil Young is there a couple of days before Jack. Tickets go on sale tommorrow, wish me luck. Seeing my two favorite artist back to back in Red Rocks Will be quite the trip ! Thanks Bobby ! I always run into you......so.........see you there.
With Crazy Horse, and Alabama Shakes opening, apparently. Wish I could make that one.
You should go. You only live once.

Damn, my wife got us 4th row seats for Neil Young at Red Rocks ! She rocks. Looks like I will be seeing a lot of the Shakes this year.
:shock: Lucky effing SOB. Seeing Jack there will be so good, but 4th row for Neil? Wow. Congrats on a killer concert summer!
Thanks man, good to see you at the shows !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Todd
Little Bird

Post by Todd »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
2crazikids wrote:Just curious. Did anyone notice if Jack changed some of the lyrics at his shows? If so which songs and how did they change? He changed a line or two in Top Yourself at Webster Hall. Thanks in advance.
He changed several during the Ryman (1st night), but mostly minor and a few times apparently accidental. For example, during "Weep Themselves To Sleep" he somewhat flubbed the opening few lines (but he handled it very well, barely noticeable). And during "Trash Tongue Talker" he started out with "I got no truck with you woman, coming over when my missus ain't home". Just little things like that. But he did it a lot, which is actually no big deal.
Not a new thing for him to do. My brain's too fried this evening to think of any early examples at the moment, but more recently he was changing up the lyrics to Top Yourself last year with the Racs, as well as this year at Webster Hall (sang something barely intelligible about Trixie and a rubber ball during the third (?) verse). He also changed the last line of Sixteen Saltines at Webster, singing something that ended with "...break your neck", as well as the "missus ain't home" line in Trash Tongue. Very fun to hear what he comes up with seemingly in the spur of the moment, but also a bit of a bitch when trying to sing along with him.
Oddly enough, my 5 year old daughter caught him changing the lyrics for Missing Pieces between the album and the AMEX show, exchanging "Pillow" and "Mattress" in the 5th verse. I've also seen a different start to Carolina drama on occasion. I like the unexpectedness and variety.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Todd wrote:Oddly enough, my 5 year old daughter caught him changing the lyrics for Missing Pieces between the album and the AMEX show, exchanging "Pillow" and "Mattress" in the 5th verse.
It's "mattress" in the lyrics in the album liner notes.

And, yeah, the beginning of Carolina Drama is one of the ones I was trying to remember before.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Alabama Woody wrote: Thanks man, good to see you at the shows !
You too! I see you all the time at Third Man and needed to introduce myself. You have one cool family.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Is it possible that i am picking up on the change of lyrics being somewhat of a metaphorical shift from night to night??
shaneoftheroad wrote:
2crazikids wrote:Just curious. Did anyone notice if Jack changed some of the lyrics at his shows? If so which songs and how did they change? He changed a line or two in Top Yourself at Webster Hall. Thanks in advance.
He changed several during the Ryman (1st night), but mostly minor and a few times apparently accidental. For example, during "Weep Themselves To Sleep" he somewhat flubbed the opening few lines (but he handled it very well, barely noticeable). And during "Trash Tongue Talker" he started out with "I got no truck with you woman, coming over when my missus ain't home". Just little things like that. But he did it a lot, which is actually no big deal.
i definitely made a decision about 'Trash Tongue Talker' after i heard the Webster Hall version where the lyrics got swapped out... i gladly blurred over the rubber ball/Trixie bit :lol:
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
goodmorningspider
Little Bird

Post by goodmorningspider »

i love the lyric switch-ups too. my favourite was during 'Together' at the Electric Ballroom in London:

"we wrote our names down on the sidewalk, but the rain came and washed them off. So we'll write 'em again on the side of a tree, so people a long time from now will know bout you and me

i like it better than the original, actually.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

goodmorningspider wrote:i love the lyric switch-ups too. my favourite was during 'Together' at the Electric Ballroom in London:

"we wrote our names down on the sidewalk, but the rain came and washed them off. So we'll write 'em again on the side of a tree, so people a long time from now will know bout you and me

i like it better than the original, actually.
Agreed!
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

WHOA! The guy who bootlegged the Ryman shows got a Cease and Desist from Jack's lawyer! Strongly worded too! That would scare the piss out of me, man. I'm actually gonna delete the files off my computer just in case. haha
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:WHOA! The guy who bootlegged the Ryman shows got a Cease and Desist from Jack's lawyer! Strongly worded too! That would scare the piss out of me, man. I'm actually gonna delete the files off my computer just in case. haha
Who was this? Where did you hear about that? Did he sell it or make copies or something?
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

No, he was just offering it for free as a torrent over at the Little Room.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

These are still up on Dime. There is a list of artist that do not want their work shared over there and the mods do a great job of enforcing it. Suprized he hasn't put himself on that list.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

flattop2001 wrote:These are still up on Dime. There is a list of artist that do not want their work shared over there and the mods do a great job of enforcing it. Suprized he hasn't put himself on that list.
The approach seems to be "don't ask, don't tell" related to any JW live recordings. That particular person was active in saying "Hey, I recorded this show when they actively said not to do so and here's a link". That seems to have drawn more attention that he was looking for at the time. It's one thing to share it and another to flaunt that you got away with it openly.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

rsimms3 wrote:
flattop2001 wrote:These are still up on Dime. There is a list of artist that do not want their work shared over there and the mods do a great job of enforcing it. Suprized he hasn't put himself on that list.
The approach seems to be "don't ask, don't tell" related to any JW live recordings. That particular person was active in saying "Hey, I recorded this show when they actively said not to do so and here's a link". That seems to have drawn more attention that he was looking for at the time. It's one thing to share it and another to flaunt that you got away with it openly.
I haven't read the LR thread but sounds fair enough.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
nonpareils
Little Bird

Post by nonpareils »

Kali Durga wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Not a new thing for him to do. My brain's too fried this evening to think of any early examples at the moment, but more recently he was changing up the lyrics to Top Yourself last year with the Racs, as well as this year at Webster Hall (sang something barely intelligible about Trixie and a rubber ball during the third (?) verse). He also changed the last line of Sixteen Saltines at Webster, singing something that ended with "...break your neck", as well as the "missus ain't home" line in Trash Tongue. Very fun to hear what he comes up with seemingly in the spur of the moment, but also a bit of a bitch when trying to sing along with him.

I've been trying to figure out what he sings here, he did the same thing on the AMEX UNSTAGED show during Top Yourself. I figured out he says "takes a rocking chair to rock in mama, but a rubber ball to roll" and when you google that phrase you get that it comes from a lyric from an old song that influenced early rock "A rockin' chair to rock, a rubber ball to roll/ Takes a long tall daddy to satisfy my soul." Course he keeps that second line "took sleeping with a snake like you, to rip apart my soul"

The song (Jealous Hearted Me) also has the line "Gonna buy me a bulldog to watch him while I sleep / To watch that man of mine on his midnight creep"
helloabsalom
Little Bird

Post by helloabsalom »

2crazikids wrote:
shaneoftheroad wrote:
Did he change You Know that I Know?
Yeah, he did. He changed the girls hair color. Tuesday it was from Blonde to Red, Wednesday, it was from Blonde to Black.
helloabsalom = The Official White Swirl Thread Killer