Re: Jack White at HMV Apollo Hammersmith, London Fri, 22 Jun

Post by tanzaib »

First Aid Kit
to support jack white at these gigs.
June 22 - Hammersmith Apollo
June 25 - HMH, Amsterdam
June 26 - Tempodrom, Berlin...
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
benjo09
Little Bird

Post by benjo09 »

I love the way hes being supported by TMR bands on his tours. I wonder if anyone else will be added
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

Got tickets to the Hammersmith gig this morning... I seriously can't wait, this should hopefully make up (in part) for never having the chance to see the Stripes!
aXion
Little Bird

Post by aXion »

morning !

is there anyone who would like to change hammersmith apollo ticket to brixton academy ticket?
because i just bought one for brixton, and i completely forgot that im going to see pearl jam at the same day...;D
PegasusTenma
Little Bird

Post by PegasusTenma »

I'm going to Apollo and Hackney! Is anyone going to Hackney?
benjo09
Little Bird

Post by benjo09 »

BIt gutted I'm not going to Hackney. The Radio 1 website screwed up when trying to get tickets :(
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

PegasusTenma wrote:I'm going to Apollo and Hackney! Is anyone going to Hackney?
yep
Never trust a hippy
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

dmdv1 wrote:
PegasusTenma wrote:I'm going to Apollo and Hackney! Is anyone going to Hackney?
yep
Nope, But I am going to Brixton and Hammersmith.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
aXion
Little Bird

Post by aXion »

anyways has a ticket to sell for apollo? i lost my hopes to trade the brixton one to apollo one:(
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

aXion wrote:anyways has a ticket to sell for apollo? i lost my hopes to trade the brixton one to apollo one:(
one for sale right here...
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=5824&p=106656#p106656
<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
Scarlet Siren
Little Cream Soda

Post by Scarlet Siren »

I'm going! (Brixton gig too!) :D

I really wanted to go to Hackney too since I'm coming down from Scotland for the shows but it would appear it's not meant to be :(
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Some reviews from London.

Mojo magazine:
http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2012/06/ ... ith_t.html
Jack White Rocks Hammersmith, Thom Yorke
Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK - 22/6/12
[excerpts]

Is there currently a more electrifying performer of rock music than Jack White? Channelling driven craziness at the piano at one point tonight, his kinky black bangs flapping wildly, he conjures a dark phantom of the Killer himself.

Indeed, there is more than a little of Jerry Lee Lewis's mania - and machismo - about the man born John Anthony Gillis, somewhat north of the Mason-Dixon but whistling Dixie in his crib. He plays with old-fashioned values, sometimes creditably, sometimes in a way that feels weirdly reactionary, but always on an edge of jeopardy that's been filed down to a predictable dullness by the majority of his contemporaries. Guitar strapped on, he marches convulsively about the stage, interrupting himself and bandmates with squealing guitar solos that always appear to burst out of nowhere, out of the moment.

White is touring his unexpected, spacious, groovy and brilliant first solo album, Blunderbuss, with two backing bands...
. . .
Tonight is more bombastic, more showy than that Forum performance. White seems more confident now that this works, and there are times - as there tend to be with him - when he verges on the overbearing. It's the rough you take with the smooth of his megawatt personality and modern-classic catalogue. ...
. . .
White closes with an imperious demonstration of his cultural heft and reach. The White Stripes' 7 Nation Army - a riff chanted by thousands of fans at almost every one of this month's European Championship football matches - turns the Apollo stalls into a pogoing morass. Then, changing gear with consummate ease, he parts with Lead Belly's tender, tortured Goodnight Irene. We are blessed, and on our way.

It's a well-written review, worth reading the whole thing.

This one's from Slate:
http://www.state.ie/43038-live-reviews/ ... ite-london
Jack White – London

If you needed any proof of Jack White’s smooth transition into the musically single life, two sold out nights at one of London’s most prestigious venue is a good place to start.
. . .
As the night winds on it hits home that Jack White might be as close as music’s fragmented constantly critical state gets to a godfather figure. His confidence and calm amidst the crowd reaction suggests a comfort that’s rare today. He knows he’s good, and the music he makes and performs suggests that absolutely.
. . .
To experience these simple yet beautifully constructed songs receive the range and musicianship they’ve always deserved completes the scenario. The energy never wanes, there’s a shining vibrancy, even on quiet songs... Superhits ‘Steady As She Goes’ and ‘Seven Nation Army’ are given an outing, leaving melted faces in their path, but it’s the tender moments from Jack that really matter.

A cracked vocal version of ‘My Doorbell’ is a highlight and it’s a tender and sweet cover of Leadbelly’s ‘Goodnight, Irene’ that casts a spell on an already captivated room. He brought the noise, now Jack White has delivered the substance.
Confusing first paragraph; I thought he only did one night at Hammersmith?
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

DeeBee wrote:Some reviews from London.

Mojo magazine:
http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2012/06/ ... ith_t.html
Jack White Rocks Hammersmith, Thom Yorke
Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK - 22/6/12
[excerpts]

Is there currently a more electrifying performer of rock music than Jack White? Channelling driven craziness at the piano at one point tonight, his kinky black bangs flapping wildly, he conjures a dark phantom of the Killer himself.

Indeed, there is more than a little of Jerry Lee Lewis's mania - and machismo - about the man born John Anthony Gillis, somewhat north of the Mason-Dixon but whistling Dixie in his crib. He plays with old-fashioned values, sometimes creditably, sometimes in a way that feels weirdly reactionary, but always on an edge of jeopardy that's been filed down to a predictable dullness by the majority of his contemporaries. Guitar strapped on, he marches convulsively about the stage, interrupting himself and bandmates with squealing guitar solos that always appear to burst out of nowhere, out of the moment.

White is touring his unexpected, spacious, groovy and brilliant first solo album, Blunderbuss, with two backing bands...
. . .
Tonight is more bombastic, more showy than that Forum performance. White seems more confident now that this works, and there are times - as there tend to be with him - when he verges on the overbearing. It's the rough you take with the smooth of his megawatt personality and modern-classic catalogue. ...
. . .
White closes with an imperious demonstration of his cultural heft and reach. The White Stripes' 7 Nation Army - a riff chanted by thousands of fans at almost every one of this month's European Championship football matches - turns the Apollo stalls into a pogoing morass. Then, changing gear with consummate ease, he parts with Lead Belly's tender, tortured Goodnight Irene. We are blessed, and on our way.

It's a well-written review, worth reading the whole thing.

This one's from Slate:
http://www.state.ie/43038-live-reviews/ ... ite-london
Jack White – London

If you needed any proof of Jack White’s smooth transition into the musically single life, two sold out nights at one of London’s most prestigious venue is a good place to start.
. . .
As the night winds on it hits home that Jack White might be as close as music’s fragmented constantly critical state gets to a godfather figure. His confidence and calm amidst the crowd reaction suggests a comfort that’s rare today. He knows he’s good, and the music he makes and performs suggests that absolutely.
. . .
To experience these simple yet beautifully constructed songs receive the range and musicianship they’ve always deserved completes the scenario. The energy never wanes, there’s a shining vibrancy, even on quiet songs... Superhits ‘Steady As She Goes’ and ‘Seven Nation Army’ are given an outing, leaving melted faces in their path, but it’s the tender moments from Jack that really matter.

A cracked vocal version of ‘My Doorbell’ is a highlight and it’s a tender and sweet cover of Leadbelly’s ‘Goodnight, Irene’ that casts a spell on an already captivated room. He brought the noise, now Jack White has delivered the substance.
Confusing first paragraph; I thought he only did one night at Hammersmith?
Yeah he did one night at Hammersmith and one night at Brixton
Never trust a hippy