Live in the Blue Room (two nights)

Worldwide - Since 2012
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Live in the Blue Room (two nights)

Post by arewhyehen »

chaptertwentyone wrote:A minor grammatical error.
...whoops?
Man you get offended and pissy real easily. I was more wondering if there was a Sunday show that he played without me knowing, but sure.

PS: A grammatical error would be using there instead of their, not Sunday instead of Saturday.
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

arewhyehen wrote:
...whoops?
Man you get offended and pissy real easily. I was more wondering if there was a Sunday show that he played without me knowing, but sure.

PS: A grammatical error would be using there instead of their, not Sunday instead of Saturday.
Yeah, wait till he tells you to go fuck yourself in PM!
he is everything i hate...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

elduderino wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:
...whoops?

Yeah, wait till he tells you to go fuck yourself in PM!

Hahaha. Good to know I’m not the only one who gets those..
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Hahaha!
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Great review Shane.

I'll confess, I've been a bit tuned out recently. I've avoided all of the available tracks from BHR so I could listen to it in full. What I've heard so far isn't "doing it" for me - I'm not sure I like the sound, I don't rate the lyrics highly (can't see me ever liking "Dog?"), and my main concern is that I found Dodge & Burn pretty mediocre, so am I just going "off" Jack White? I hope not, and I hope that the album grows on me (as well as "Dog?", I can't see the cover ever growing on me!), so I'm not going to rush into being too negative (too late!).

I didn't buy tickets for London as it would involve travelling and I have a young family, and I was hoping there would be a Scottish date announced, but now I'm not so sure...

This is a long-winded way of telling you I was in a bit of an apathetic phase re: Jack White and related, but your review made me immediately go and look for tickets to London, and consider whether to just get down there and see the man live. Even if I retain my reservations of the new sound, I can well see how tracks like Corporation (which I like already) and Connected by Love will be lifted up by live performance. No higher praise for your review than it moved me from indifference to excitement at the thought of a live show (whether I go or not is a different matter!).

Incidentally, I support the principle behind Yondr (?). I find the occasional phone being an annoyance at a gig, but never found it a massive problem. My main concern as a father is, if someone is looking after my kids and they phone in an emergency, do I really want to be in a position that there is a delay on me being able to speak to that person while I look for a staff member to open the pouch? The chances are slim, I guess, but I wouldn't forgive myself if the worst happened. Of course I fly on planes, etc, and can't be contacted then, but that's unavoidable - the pouch is an artificial restriction. I accept the view that I could just make the choice not to go to a gig, which is perfectly valid.

One final point (sorry), I've voiced some concerns - maybe even some negativity - about BHR, but I don't expect anyone to give two hoots about my opinion, I just set the scene for my unexpected, Shane-induced excitement. :lol:
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I tell ya', I was in the same boat with BHR before the show. And now that I've heard the full album I'm still not terribly impressed by the recordings. Knowing what Jack is capable of producing, some of them are downright infuriating. But I stand by everything I said about the live show. I truly believe, if you've been a fan of Jack, you will not leave disappointed. I'm glad I decided to go.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:I tell ya', I was in the same boat with BHR before the show. And now that I've heard the full album I'm still not terribly impressed by the recordings. Knowing what Jack is capable of producing, some of them are downright infuriating. But I stand by everything I said about the live show. I truly believe, if you've been a fan of Jack, you will not leave disappointed. I'm glad I decided to go.
I am with you here. I haven't been a fan of much of the solo stuff Jack has done, but that has never stopped me from going to see him live on his solo tours. What he does live with not only his older projects as well as the new solo stuff is magic. Although I wasn't a huge fan of this album before going to he blue room show last week, I knew he would not disappoint live. There are very few artists who perform with as much intensity and passion as Jack. When you tour for years on end, doing the same songs over and over (and over ;) ) it has to get tiring and boring, but he seems to bring the same intensity every night. That is tough to find and that is what I love about Jack. The new bands are also great to check out on every tour, to see the renditions they do of all his older stuff.
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Live Music Is Better
-Neil Young
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

From Blackwell on the Vault:

(Friday night was in my top three JW solo shows of all time and probably in my top ten shows I’ve seen him play in any group period)
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

runofthemill wrote:From Blackwell on the Vault:

(Friday night was in my top three JW solo shows of all time and probably in my top ten shows I’ve seen him play in any group period)

Unreliable source
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

pj101ca wrote:
runofthemill wrote:From Blackwell on the Vault:

Unreliable source
I’m no Blackwell, but I would put it very high on my JW shows as well...probably after Racs MI Fest and JW Masonic 2014. It was good. He seemed real damn happy to be on stage again.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I believe it. I put our Thursday show 2nd on my list of favorite JW shows I've seen. Raconteurs at the Ryman is still the best I've seen him. But that Blue Room show is a CLOSE, CLOSE contender.