Jack White 2014-2015 Contract and Tour Rider

Worldwide - Since 2012
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

didn't see this posted here anywhere, kind of interesting...

Download the full pdf file here...

Last edited by bh1644 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack White 2014-2015 Tour Rider

Post by yolomanolo »

the no bananas allowed and the guac recipe (specifically the "we want it chunky) got me.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Re: Jack White 2014-2015 Contract and Tour Rider

Post by bh1644 »

added the complete contract and rider with pdf download link...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

The OU Daily trying to cover their asses-- http://www.oudaily.com/l_and_a/setting- ... 50ab9.html

The ramifications pf their action-- http://www.oudaily.com/news/entertainme ... 9ae2d.html

And the OU Daily having their asses handed to them-- [http://m.oudaily.com/opinion/letters_to ... l?mode=jqm
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Wow, thank you for posting that Kali Durga. I'm sure that was quite a lesson for both Jack's people and the students at OU who are now going to get screwed out of opportunities to see some great artists: If Jack's representation doesn't want his information out there don't book shows where your information can legally be made public, and if OU wants to have decent student programming don't spill the beans just because you can. The snark from the paper didn't help. You can report facts without going all TMZ on it.

I always find those contracts and riders to be extremely interesting, but I've also learned how much Jack and his company (and artists in general) enjoy their privacy when it comes to the money side of art. The magic kind of disappears when you see how they make the sausage sometimes (or some such other platitude.) :)
BigBayBlue
Little Bird

Post by BigBayBlue »

None of the special requests in the contract strike me as particularly noteworthy. They draw up a single contract for every venue they attend, and I'm sure the specifics are put in place due to bad experiences here or there. If they don't tell the venue what foods and beverages they want, there will inevitably be some places that would provide airplane food type crap. The tour packs in a lot of stops with quick turnarounds, and for many dates they probably don't have any extra time to go running around in unfamiliar places getting refreshments. It makes perfect sense that they would be specific like that. Most venues have employees designated to handle these things.

So Jack White likes Guacamole, and he doesn't want that nasty pre-packaged stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Not sure why the OU Daily would find that news worthy.

The Guacamole recipe reminds me of the famous story about Van Halen's crazy requests (including a bowl of M&Ms with one particular color removed). That info got out and they were widely lampooned for their bizarre demands. Years later they explained that the only reason they did that was because they had a very elaborate lighting/pyrotechnics setup, and they wanted to test the venues to see how closely the operators paid attention to instructions. If Van Halen arrived and found that their food requests had been ignored, they knew they had to spend extra time checking all of the stage setups. It was pretty clever actually.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

BigBayBlue wrote: The Guacamole recipe reminds me of the famous story about Van Halen's crazy requests (including a bowl of M&Ms with one particular color removed). That info got out and they were widely lampooned for their bizarre demands. Years later they explained that the only reason they did that was because they had a very elaborate lighting/pyrotechnics setup, and they wanted to test the venues to see how closely the operators paid attention to instructions. If Van Halen arrived and found that their food requests had been ignored, they knew they had to spend extra time checking all of the stage setups. It was pretty clever actually.
Absolutely this^.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

ellisintransit wrote:
BigBayBlue wrote: The Guacamole recipe reminds me of the famous story about Van Halen's crazy requests (including a bowl of M&Ms with one particular color removed). That info got out and they were widely lampooned for their bizarre demands. Years later they explained that the only reason they did that was because they had a very elaborate lighting/pyrotechnics setup, and they wanted to test the venues to see how closely the operators paid attention to instructions. If Van Halen arrived and found that their food requests had been ignored, they knew they had to spend extra time checking all of the stage setups. It was pretty clever actually.
Absolutely this^.
Exactly.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

FredYidas
Little Bird

Post by FredYidas »

BigBayBlue wrote:None of the special requests in the contract strike me as particularly noteworthy. They draw up a single contract for every venue they attend, and I'm sure the specifics are put in place due to bad experiences here or there. If they don't tell the venue what foods and beverages they want, there will inevitably be some places that would provide airplane food type crap. The tour packs in a lot of stops with quick turnarounds, and for many dates they probably don't have any extra time to go running around in unfamiliar places getting refreshments. It makes perfect sense that they would be specific like that. Most venues have employees designated to handle these things.

So Jack White likes Guacamole, and he doesn't want that nasty pre-packaged stuff you can buy at the grocery store. Not sure why the OU Daily would find that news worthy.

The Guacamole recipe reminds me of the famous story about Van Halen's crazy requests (including a bowl of M&Ms with one particular color removed). That info got out and they were widely lampooned for their bizarre demands. Years later they explained that the only reason they did that was because they had a very elaborate lighting/pyrotechnics setup, and they wanted to test the venues to see how closely the operators paid attention to instructions. If Van Halen arrived and found that their food requests had been ignored, they knew they had to spend extra time checking all of the stage setups. It was pretty clever actually.
Gagreed. When I first heard about this story I thought there must be some outlandish request in Jack's rider, but it sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

It's cheap probably compared to most bands. Not much alcohol asked for.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

:clap:
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Alabama Woody wrote:It's cheap probably compared to most bands. Not much alcohol asked for.
That's because it is an alcohol free campus and they would not allow him to have alcohol or smoke (which evidently he was angry about.)
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Just as an aside, their wireless network (to which I couldn't guess the password) is nobananas.tour. I had no success with nobananas.guest, either, not that I was trying to steal their wifi or anything . . .