February 2nd, McCasland Fieldhouse, Norman OK

Worldwide - Since 2012
Todd
Little Bird

Re: February 2nd, McCasland Fieldhouse, Norman OK

Post by Todd »

Drove by after lunch, there was a short line already forming. Anyone know if they are allowing poster tubes into the show?
Todd
Little Bird

Post by Todd »

My my my... what started off a bit shaky certainly turned out to be one hell of a night to remember... still riding the show high, I will let others chime in. Well worth the nine hour drive from Nashville.
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Todd wrote:My my my... what started off a bit shaky certainly turned out to be one hell of a night to remember... still riding the show high, I will let others chime in. Well worth the nine hour drive from Nashville.
Oh heck yeah I think the shaky start put him in awesome pissed off mood and he wanted to rock.
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Also surprised the telecaster made it through the night with the way he was treating it.
cobytate
Little Cream Soda

Post by cobytate »

sounds like a great show…

http://newsok.com/concert-review-jack-w ... le/5390164

and it seems like somebody at the ou daily has a bone to pick. to be fair though, it doesn’t seem like the writer of the show review has great critical thinking, grammar, or research skills so many grains of salt taken:

http://www.oudaily.com/l_and_a/in-revie ... ece05.html

http://www.oudaily.com/l_and_a/audience ... 4b2e4.html
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

It seems that Jack always manages to make me leave a show saying (to no one in particular): "That was the best show I have ever seen!" Unfortunately, he has now set the bar so unbelievably high that I doubt I ever say that again. Why? Well, let me give you a little context... My daughter (8) decided that she wanted to see Jack for her birthday. She also stated that she sure would like to be in the front row when she saw Jack for the first time. Yep. That meant dad got to miss work and stand in line all day in some pretty frigid weather. (Of course, it is in these sort of lines that you meet a lot of fine people; fellow Swirlers, Little Room members, and Vaulters.) So, when the night began, my birthday girl was on the front row as promised!
Except, there was a problem, she was too short to see over the rail! It meant that she had to stand on her toes and hook her nose on the rail to see. The best laid plans... Anyway, on with the show! Jack came out, promptly cut is cord in two, got angry, played piano, and returned to the Telecaster that would be out of favor for most of the night. Luckily, he did come to within 3' of where my daughter was hopping up and down and I proceeded to point out his #1 fan. (No, not me!) It was soon after that I entered a fugue state that has left my memory filled with a blissful haze...
Jack left the stage for a few moments to get a roadies attention and pointed directly at my daughter and motioned for her to come on stage! The roadie promptly did as told and that meant old dad got to tag along. We were shuffled to the side behind the curtain to hang with Olivia Jean. (She was very nice by the way.) Jack came over between songs to welcome my daughter (who is now on cloud 1 billion), give her a high five, and shake (gulp) my hand!
The night proceeded with me standing next to some of the most famous guitars known and I got to see just how abused that baby blue Tele is. Yep, after the evening was finished, it had a bent and cracked high E tuner and Jack's roadie was having trouble all night keeping it in tune. Speaking of that Tele, while playing, Jack wondered over, gave my daughter his pick (which we have), and had her strum several measures! For a little girl learning to play guitar, it was a dream. (For a dad who loves the fact that his youngest is learning guitar, it was a dream too.) Daru and Dom's roadie mentioned to my daughter that she seemed to have been good for Jack because he had instantly gotten in a better mood.
As the night progressed, everyone learned it was my daughter's birthday. This resulted in Daru (during the encore) coming over and shaking her hand, wishing her happy birthday, and giving her a used stick. Lillie waved and smiled at her too. Olivia Jean told her that she also played guitar and wished her happy birthday and keep practicing. And, lastly, Jack wished her happy birthday and told her how glad she had chosen to come to his show as her present.
And then it was over. Jack rushed off stage and I was left with a little girl that has yet to stop talking about her experience... Yeah dad! Ha! And, I leave you with this comment after the concert, my daughter asked if this kind of thing happens at every concert? Upon which I replied, only to little redheaded 8 year old birthday girls with big dimples in their cheeks when they smile!
At least I'm not racin' towards a red light…
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

What a special story to tell.
Happy belated to your daughter.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

WOW. Awesome story John Tom. That will last her (and you!) a lifetime. So cool.
Todd
Little Bird

Post by Todd »

That would explain why I couldn't find you on the rail during the show. I ended up in VIP on stage right for most of Jack's set thanks to the generosity of one of my brother's friends.

Fantastic story.. and I must admit I got a bit misty when I watched him come over to your daughter and saw him let her strum during what I recall was Top Yourself.

Between this, Jack coming out at TMR to speak to my daughters, and his inclusion and devotion to his two children throughout the tour really speaks volumes to me as to part of the "new" Jack that we've seen in the past two years. While stories abound about his varied interactions with adults, his kindness towards children is remarkable.

Good luck topping that next time she wants to go to a show! :D
littlecreamsoda3
Little Bird

Post by littlecreamsoda3 »

Hey there John Tom! I was one of the folks waiting out all day with you (Kirsten). I saw the little girl on stage but had no idea it was you two!! I'm glad it turned out so great for you guys.
When we finally got let in, we ran to the center stage (not rail) and I was happy with that. The people in front of me were saving the center rail spot for Helen who didn't get EE. Well she never showed, and they looked down the rail to see that she had already secured a spot. So they both turned to me and said "looks like you're up!"
SO yeah, first time on rail at a Jack show and it was right in the center of the stage. I still can't believe that happened.
I'm so glad he was able to channel the frustration from the OU Daily, into pure head splitting guitar playing. What a show.
Somniferous
Little Bird

Post by Somniferous »

That was a great story!

Congrats on an experience of a lifetime!
littlecreamsoda3
Little Bird

Post by littlecreamsoda3 »

Just a few interesting parts from the night...

First thing that comes to mind is Jack basically telling the "Freedom of Information Act" to suck his d***k, while he did a crotch grab. HA

Second thing is how MAD he was when he came on stage.. he was like a gothic elvis/bat out of hell. Couldn't get his guitar situation together, knocking over the mic stand (multiple times that night), finally just throwing his guitar on the ground and stomping over to the piano to start dead leaves.

Also paraphrased "To all the Pre-Law students out there; just because it's legal, doesn't make it right. To all the Journalism students out there; just because you can write it on your computer, doesn't make it right"
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

littlecreamsoda3 wrote:Hey there John Tom! I was one of the folks waiting out all day with you (Kirsten). I saw the little girl on stage but had no idea it was you two!! I'm glad it turned out so great for you guys.
When we finally got let in, we ran to the center stage (not rail) and I was happy with that. The people in front of me were saving the center rail spot for Helen who didn't get EE. Well she never showed, and they looked down the rail to see that she had already secured a spot. So they both turned to me and said "looks like you're up!"
SO yeah, first time on rail at a Jack show and it was right in the center of the stage. I still can't believe that happened.
I'm so glad he was able to channel the frustration from the OU Daily, into pure head splitting guitar playing. What a show.
Thanks Kirsten! I always bring a book to read while waiting in line and end up never reading it. Because of fellow Swirlers & Vaulters like you, it is always a blast to just stand around and visit with all the diversity of Jack fans. Look forward to seeing you again at a future show!
Bikedo wrote:What a special story to tell.
Happy belated to your daughter.
Thanks a lot!
Todd wrote:That would explain why I couldn't find you on the rail during the show. I ended up in VIP on stage right for most of Jack's set thanks to the generosity of one of my brother's friends.

Fantastic story.. and I must admit I got a bit misty when I watched him come over to your daughter and saw him let her strum during what I recall was Top Yourself.

Between this, Jack coming out at TMR to speak to my daughters, and his inclusion and devotion to his two children throughout the tour really speaks volumes to me as to part of the "new" Jack that we've seen in the past two years. While stories abound about his varied interactions with adults, his kindness towards children is remarkable.

Good luck topping that next time she wants to go to a show! :D
Ha! No doubt Todd. I guess the only way to top it is to have her join the band and go on tour! Funny enough, I thought of you while shaking his hand that night. I remembered the story you told of him meeting your girls and how it was happening to me. Just to stand back stage was awesome, but to allow my daughter to play the Tele? Out of this world! You can tell a lot about a person by how he or she treat children and I think Jack is aces. Oh! And I cannot forget Olivia Jean, she was so wonderful to her and even teased me about not taking pictures while back stage! 'Course, I told her that I was so nervous after the "guacamole lecture" that I was NOT going to do anything to risk getting booted!
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

Oh! Something I forgot to mention earlier in regards to the encore. As we all know, Jack doesn't use a setlist but I learned that there are definitely clues, signals, etc. for the encore. I was astonished to hear Daru tell Jack's roadie: "He just won't stop!" And then he shook his head. I saw the roadie grab that sweet old Kay several times (7 Nation) only to be told pull out the Gibson or Tele. I must admit that even the roadies were a little befuddled by Jack's extended encore. I blame my daughter... Ha!
--Det. Rust Cohle

--Jack White
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

littlecreamsoda3 wrote:Hey there John Tom! I was one of the folks waiting out all day with you (Kirsten). I saw the little girl on stage but had no idea it was you two!! I'm glad it turned out so great for you guys.
Helen did show (being first in line), she just didn't know her kind EE friends had a spot for her! But it all worked out great, one of the best JW shows I've ever seen, and the interaction with that lovely little girl was wonderful. :-)