Glasgow 18th November 2014 @ SSE Hydro

Post by ickyelephant »

Who's all attending?
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Re: Glasgow 18th November 2014 @ SSE Hydro

Post by Chiefbrody »

Going.

Not sure what to expect. It's a big arena (13k) and I worry it might be far from capacity, which could lead to a strange atmosphere, etc. The clash with the Scotland v England match might mean some folks won't go that otherwise would be going.

I like the Hydro, as arenas go. Much better sound than the SECC, but it seems anyone with a grain of success is playing there automatically, whether they've a hope of selling out or not (that's not directed at Jack, there are loads of people playing or have played there that I would never have thought would be arena acts) . In Jack's favour, at least he's not ripping folk off (80 quid for Noel Gallagher, 95 for Neil Diamond, etc). I suppose if people are willing to pay it...

Hoping for a great show - only my second Jack show, of any incarnation.
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

For info
1800: Arena doors, 1830: Bowl doors, 1930: Support
2015: Interval, 2045: Jack White, 2245: Show ends
uncarvedbloke
Little Bird

Post by uncarvedbloke »

Be sure to get your gig specific posters early if you are buying - they sold out at leeds. :)
ickyelephant
Little Bird

Post by ickyelephant »

I got mine :)
Quite nice
Restaurant themed!
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

A bit underwhelmed after last night. It was a good show, but not great, at least not for me.

To put in context
- only second time seeing JW, the first being Usher Hall in Edinburgh, which was amazing
- was completely looking forward to this show after the first one, so maybe my expectations were too high
- was in a seated section at the back, which was definitely a mistake (picked seats so my wife would see the stage)
- was not very relaxed on the night, which isn't ideal for a gig

I felt the show started well and the energy was high, but the set list in the first hour just didn't really keep that up. I also didn't like the (re)arrangements as much as on the last tour. Also, I think that for an arena (or stadium) tour, to keep the crowd going, there's a need to balance between new stuff/hits and reinterpretations/original arrangements of songs the crowd know - I didn't think the balance was right last night. It was just an OK gig up to that point. As I said, I was totally looking forward to it and expectations were high, so what was a good gig couldn't help but disappoint. The setlist was much better (in my opinion) after the break, and more what I had hoped for.

In the end, perhaps by being near the back and seated it just didn't feel like a great show - very detached. I'm not a jumper, but maybe it's still better to be standing still than sitting still! Parts of it were great, and the band were amazing to watch - even from that distance.

I thought this was just me personally being a bit weird and negative, given my high expectations and my stresses on the night. However, after the gig I went back to read the Leeds thread (having previously ignored all gig threads to avoid "spoilers"), and it seems a few there felt that wasn't an arena show setlist, or that possibly JW isn't an arena act. I don't know which one it is, but I probably wouldn't rush to another arena show. I think everyone prefers smaller shows, but I accept that acts of a certain status need to balance that against tickets not being near impossible to get for those that want to go. I might change my mind the next time a tour rolls around, but someone remind me to get standing tickets!

Sorry for moaning. I hope others enjoyed it more than me.
JPJs Bass Guitar
Little Bird

Post by JPJs Bass Guitar »

Chiefbrody wrote:A bit underwhelmed after last night. It was a good show, but not great, at least not for me.

To put in context
- only second time seeing JW, the first being Usher Hall in Edinburgh, which was amazing
- was completely looking forward to this show after the first one, so maybe my expectations were too high
- was in a seated section at the back, which was definitely a mistake (picked seats so my wife would see the stage)
- was not very relaxed on the night, which isn't ideal for a gig

I felt the show started well and the energy was high, but the set list in the first hour just didn't really keep that up. I also didn't like the (re)arrangements as much as on the last tour. Also, I think that for an arena (or stadium) tour, to keep the crowd going, there's a need to balance between new stuff/hits and reinterpretations/original arrangements of songs the crowd know - I didn't think the balance was right last night. It was just an OK gig up to that point. As I said, I was totally looking forward to it and expectations were high, so what was a good gig couldn't help but disappoint. The setlist was much better (in my opinion) after the break, and more what I had hoped for.

In the end, perhaps by being near the back and seated it just didn't feel like a great show - very detached. I'm not a jumper, but maybe it's still better to be standing still than sitting still! Parts of it were great, and the band were amazing to watch - even from that distance.

I thought this was just me personally being a bit weird and negative, given my high expectations and my stresses on the night. However, after the gig I went back to read the Leeds thread (having previously ignored all gig threads to avoid "spoilers"), and it seems a few there felt that wasn't an arena show setlist, or that possibly JW isn't an arena act. I don't know which one it is, but I probably wouldn't rush to another arena show. I think everyone prefers smaller shows, but I accept that acts of a certain status need to balance that against tickets not being near impossible to get for those that want to go. I might change my mind the next time a tour rolls around, but someone remind me to get standing tickets!

Sorry for moaning. I hope others enjoyed it more than me.
My first post here, and unfortunately I must concur with all of this. I was also sitting (bought in the presale as my wife is 5 months pregnant) but that was ok. Except the atmosphere seemed to only be in the first 12 or so rows of the standing section - everwhere else was flat.

Although not my first Jack show, (I've seen the White Stripes, Raconteurs and Jack solo before), this was a major disappointment last night.

Simply, imo Jack isn't an arena act. I kept thinking back to the wonderful 3 night run in Glasgow back in 2005 at the Academy, where the audience were going berserk and the show was one of the greatest I've ever seen. Unfortunately it seems the multi run show in a reasonable sized hall days are gone.

The setlist was ok for me, great to hear Sugar Never Tasted So Good, Broken Boy Soldier and the Lazaretto stuff, but overall it wasn't working for me. The Usher Hall from a couple of years back was head and shoulders above this.

I hope that next time the Hydro isn't the venue, as I would certainly give it a miss .....

(And I didn't see any poster this time around - oh well ....)
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Being on the other side of the world, I obviously didn't go to the show, but I feel like chiming in. I totally agree with the fact the Jack is definitely not an arena act. The man puts on amazing shows, but arenas just don't allow for the intimacy that Jack puts into his live shows for some reason.

And as for the seated tickets, I've had seats for shows including 2 JW shows but once the band hits the stage that seat never sees my ass again.
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Could you all please go over to the Vault and post your comments about Jack not being an arena act so that he might see them and realize that this just ain't working and insist to his manager and booking agent and whomever else that he just can't do anymore arena dates after the ones already scheduled?

Very sorry that you had a less than stellar experience, but also very envious that you got to hear Broken Boy Soldier.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Kali Durga wrote:Very sorry that you had a less than stellar experience, but also very envious that you got to hear Broken Boy Soldier.
+1
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

I'm glad in a way that I'm not just unusually difficult to please, but at the same time sorry that others had a similar experience.

I don't know whether an "arena act" should be a particular type of show, or does just being able to (nearly) sell out an arena make you an arena act? If Jack White can sell 10k tickets, who am I to say he should just play to 3k because I prefer it? I think very few fans would rather see an arena show than a small show. Some acts suit it, but generally smaller is better.

I'll be interested to see if the feedback from the rest of the UK dates is similar, especially the O2.
TheGreyLantern
Little Bird

Post by TheGreyLantern »

Exactly as has been said - last night was fine, and tremendous in patches (Sugar Never Tasted So Good), but it wasn't great overall. By no stretch of the imagination is a show like this meant for arenas. The Usher Hall show had ruinously awful sound and was still much better than the Hydro. Ah well, onwards and upwards.
destijl
Little Acorn

Post by destijl »

Sorry it was a disappointment. Leeds was poor also. I've seen Jack many many times and it was a bit boring. Hammersmith earlier this year was the best I've seen (including The White Stripes). But he isn't an Arena act, it doesn't work.
•<Jack White> we also want to come up with vault packages you don't like, a streaming service to make rich people richer, a t shirt
too big for you, and a bunch of shit you don't want but we're hold ing a gun to your head to purchase.
konchok3
Little Bird

Post by konchok3 »

It was interesting to read this thread. I have different opinion about Glasgow show: it was all about music. Amazing setlist, a lot of jamming work, a lot of impromtu bits and wonderful band work. I've been to the first row (rail) and it looks so very different from what I've read here so I dunno what to add. I guess Jack can pull arenas as well as small venues, it's just some people are sitting too far away from the eye of the cyclone.
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

Tonight in London he showed they can play arenas like the O2. No idea about Glasgow and Leeds as I wasn't there, but every single song tonight was deriving in moshing all around, crowd was amazing and not stopping and they played a hell of a show. Still I think they are more appropiate for other places than arenas, but tonight they went beyond expectations.
This machine steals souls.