Glasgow 18th November 2014 @ SSE Hydro

Worldwide - Since 2012
chris865
Little Ghost

Re: Glasgow 18th November 2014 @ SSE Hydro

Post by chris865 »

Juanjo wrote:Tonight in London he showed they can play arenas like the O2. No idea about Glasgow and Leeds as I wasn't there, but every single song tonight was deriving in moshing all around, crowd was amazing and not stopping and they played a hell of a show. Still I think they are more appropriate for other places than arenas, but tonight they went beyond expectations.
I completely agreed. I was a bit nervous after reading the reviews for Glasgow and Leeds but tonight's show was excellent, loads of energy. There seemed a few drawn out songs early on, jamming etc...that's not my cup of tea but the crowd stayed interested and responded well to favourites like Steady As She Goes, Dead Leaves, Black Math, etc... The place erupted for 7NA near the end.
The stage set up, lighting etc worked well, sound was spot on......a great arena show!!
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

I'm glad the London show was great. Maybe it's partly the Glasgow crowd (they're not as raucous as they used to be). I appreciate others have a different opinion on these arena shows, and even of the Glasgow one, but I don't think the best place to judge whether an arena show is great is in the front rows at the barrier - with respect, being in the front rows of any show is going to be more engaging - the main differences are only the size of the stage and the number of people behind you, in my opinion. It's not a lack of appreciation of the quality of the music, or the effort going into the performance, but It's more difficult to feel the atmosphere sitting in a half-empty seated section, with only a few people behind you, and watching (at a distance) 7,000 people standing around behind those in the first 10 rows or so. That said, I expect that many of those 7,000 between those at the barriers and those in the seats probably also had a better time than me.

I appreciate that it's my own fault choosing a seat rather than standing, and not being down at the front. From a seated position, it just looked like a vast, atmosphere-less dome where about 400 people were getting right into it. It's not completely the venue though, as I've been to a few shows in the Hydro, including other seated shows, and this was the least enjoyable, personally - yet Jack White is my second favourite artist that has played there.
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

Well, truth to be told, London crowd yesterday was amazing. And that's not always the case in this city. It also helped that he started with a very quick energetic song as Fell in love with a girl, followed by High Ball Stepper and Lazaretto. After those three, people could not stop for a long while. The guy next to me finished with the soles of his shoes in his hands, totally off his shoes, clapping with them, my friend's glasses broken...insane.
This machine steals souls.
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

Juanjo wrote:The guy next to me finished with the soles of his shoes in his hands, totally off his shoes, clapping with them
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Now why weren't we Glaswegians doing that? :lol:
konchok3
Little Bird

Post by konchok3 »

Chiefbrody wrote: I appreciate others have a different opinion on these arena shows, and even of the Glasgow one, but I don't think the best place to judge whether an arena show is great is in the front rows at the barrier - with respect, being in the front rows of any show is going to be more engaging - the main differences are only the size of the stage and the number of people behind you, in my opinion.
My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to judge your location decision. Just wanted to say the show was great from my point and of course mosh pit is far more engaged into the show, you are right. The show itself was amazing, Hydro arena wasn't sold out - that's totally different thing and has nothing to do with the act. I hope you still enjoyed the show.
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

Chiefbrody wrote:
Juanjo wrote:The guy next to me finished with the soles of his shoes in his hands, totally off his shoes, clapping with them
That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Now why weren't we Glaswegians doing that? :lol:
Well, he also started a fight in the middle of the crowd that we helped to stop before anyone got hurt, so that happening to his shoes was some karma acting :D
Chiefbrody
Little Bird

Post by Chiefbrody »

konchok3 wrote:My sincere apologies, I didn't mean to judge your location decision
No need to apologise - and judge all you want, seating was a bad choice for this one. I picked it for the good reasons (a short wife), but it's definitely not the best way to enjoy a show like Jack's. Based on other's comments, I'd maybe give an arena show another shot, but make sure I was standing at least, and preferably quite close to the stage.
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

From XL Recordings instagram account:

http://instagram.com/p/vnsjbjhR6P/