Fox Theatre Detroit

Worldwide - Since 2012
knoxvle
Little Acorn

Re: Fox Theatre Detroit

Post by knoxvle »

Bikedo wrote:Maybe Jack can write a list of how he expects a crowd to act during a show and post it on the website.
I know he doesn't like cell phones, fair enough but let's see if I get this right.
I pay for my ticket, transport, merchandise, beverages etc and on top of that I have to be carefull not to piss him off, monitor his mood swings and adjust my behaviour accordingly.
Interesting......
Ya see the thing is, this is what happens when you let popularity get to your head. you develop an ego..
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Bikedo wrote:Maybe Jack can write a list of how he expects a crowd to act during a show and post it on the website.
I know he doesn't like cell phones, fair enough but let's see if I get this right.
I pay for my ticket, transport, merchandise, beverages etc and on top of that I have to be carefull not to piss him off, monitor his mood swings and adjust my behaviour accordingly.
Interesting......
He is emotional. Moody, however you want to put it. It would be tough performing night after night, traveling so much. He wants to put on a great show every night, He is trying to hard maybe. I still love the shit out of his music. I saw the moodiest of shows in NY in 2012. I don't know who was the most pissed off, me or him. But I can understand. He has got to not let the crowd dictate his show. He knows mixed in all those folks are some Fans that are really excited to see Him. Play for them. He just need to find a way to chill out :P
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

Alabama Woody wrote:
Interesting......
He is emotional. Moody, however you want to put it. It would be tough performing night after night, traveling so much. He wants to put on a great show every night, He is trying to hard maybe. I still love the shit out of his music. I saw the moodiest of shows in NY in 2012. I don't know who was the most pissed off, me or him. But I can understand. He has got to not let the crowd dictate his show. He knows mixed in all those folks are some Fans that are really excited to see Him. Play for them. He just need to find a way to chill out :P
I strongly suspect had this show been anywhere but Detroit Jack would have bolted after 45 minutes. That being said he turned his frustration and angst into one of the most intense shows ive ever seen. This one might be talked about for a long time to come. It was crazy!
That can go now.
Sad, little man
Little Bird

Post by Sad, little man »

Hi all... Finally coming out of the shadows after a few years of curiously observing this place from time to time.

This show was the first time I actually managed to see Jack live. I was about halfway back on the main floor, under the balcony. Maybe it's simply because I never actually saw Jack before, but all of the frustration wasn't really communicated that far back into the crowd. Sure, I saw stuff like him smashing the champagne glass, but I thought he was just fired up to be playing in Detroit.

So, when he stopped Hardest Button to Button halfway through the song and told everyone to settle down, he was actually mocking us? :oops: I thought that was just Jack being Jack and trying to get everybody fired up.

So that's what he was doing when he looked up and mouthed some words at the end when they took a bow? :? I was wondering what that was about.

Regardless of how the crowd was being, that was probably the best concert I've ever seen. What an amazing, long lived performance.

Anyone have any idea if the show was recorded at all? I really hope a performance that intense and amazing was documented somehow by someone. I'd give anything to have a way to relive that show.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

For those who have the poster, anyone know what the small medallion is in the rubble? There's a baseball and a small round spot like a medallion that has what looks like a building on it. It doesn't look like any Detroit building I'm familiar with old or new.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
quixoticwax
Little Bird

Post by quixoticwax »

So, when he stopped Hardest Button to Button halfway through the song and told everyone to settle down, he was actually mocking us?
I found a video of this and he stops the song at 1.45. Jack White/ Hardest Button to Button(White Stripe…: http://youtu.be/-9ys5hECM0I

To my ear his tone of voice is certainly mocking and when he sings the next verse he sounds furious (sounds cool though). He is one scary dude! Let's hope it's just part of his image...
pj101ca
Little Acorn

Post by pj101ca »

Someone needs to hold this up the next time he starts bitching about the crowd...

Sad, little man
Little Bird

Post by Sad, little man »

quixoticwax wrote:I found a video of this and he stops the song at 1.45. Jack White/ Hardest Button to Button(White Stripe…: http://youtu.be/-9ys5hECM0I

To my ear his tone of voice is certainly mocking and when he sings the next verse he sounds furious (sounds cool though). He is one scary dude! Let's hope it's just part of his image...
Yeah, I mean it was obvious he was being sarcastic, but I thought that it was more just funny sarcastic, not "You guys suck" sarcastic.

And yes, he did completely lose his shit when he started the song back up, which made it one of the best performances of that song I've heard. That's kind of how the entire night was I guess, now that I realize it. It was pretty much him just getting angrier and angrier about the way things were going, but still pushing through and attempting to make it worthwhile anyway. It ended up being really fantastic.

Again, I sincerely hope that some type of recording was taken. Is there any way to tell? I mean, for any of the other shows that were put out live, was it obvious at the time that it was being recorded?

Actually, this may be a silly question... I have to assume that the feed from whatever is coming through the PA system is probably being recorded at every show. I mean, why wouldn't they? I sincerely hope this isn't the last that we see of this show. But, part of me feels like Jack is probably so angry about the whole thing that he just wants to leave this one in the past. :( Too bad, it was a fantastic performance.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Imma just gonna drop this here.

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

rsimms3 wrote:For those who have the poster, anyone know what the small medallion is in the rubble? There's a baseball and a small round spot like a medallion that has what looks like a building on it. It doesn't look like any Detroit building I'm familiar with old or new.
Sorta looks like the Masonic..?
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Jettkoral wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:For those who have the poster, anyone know what the small medallion is in the rubble? There's a baseball and a small round spot like a medallion that has what looks like a building on it. It doesn't look like any Detroit building I'm familiar with old or new.
Yeah, I guess I discounted it because it sort of trails off straight instead of having that tower on the far end. I was thinking it was the old Cass Technic school building at first until I saw pics of it.
stevenikks
Little Bird

Post by stevenikks »

Jettkoral wrote:
I think you're right about it being the Masonic. When I first saw the piece in the rubble I thought it was a coin, and doing a quick google search, we may have a match. You can even see the faded Masonic symbol in the print.

Closeup from the print:

"Detroit New Masonic Temple Token:"
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Nice catch!
Arran_Ramone
Little Cream Soda

Post by Arran_Ramone »

Sad, little man wrote: Again, I sincerely hope that some type of recording was taken. Is there any way to tell? I mean, for any of the other shows that were put out live, was it obvious at the time that it was being recorded?

Actually, this may be a silly question... I have to assume that the feed from whatever is coming through the PA system is probably being recorded at every show. I mean, why wouldn't they? I sincerely hope this isn't the last that we see of this show. But, part of me feels like Jack is probably so angry about the whole thing that he just wants to leave this one in the past. :( Too bad, it was a fantastic performance.

I imagine it was recorded. Apart from Jack/TMR just being a bit like that, the London show had ambient/crowd mics up at either end of the stage, which wouldn't be there unless a soundboard feed is being taken.
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

This show is on YouTube, isn't it?