Fox Theatre Detroit

Worldwide - Since 2012
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Fox Theatre Detroit

Post by DBCooper »

http://www.freep.com/article/20140729/E ... ox-theatre

it was a great show. i thought it was for sure over after the first 45 minute set. jack was visibly not happy with the crowd (thats an understatement, he was furious at times). i was right up front. looked back many times to see hundreds sitting, including the many rows up in the balcony. jack had some great banter with the crowd and his band. his kids/family were on the side of the stage. he gave it 110% for sure, but was only getting about 60% back from the crowd. in our defense it was all seated and there were ushers everywhere. was really nothing we could do, but stand. most still failed at that. i have to believe if he was anywhere other than detroit he was gone quick last night. i have never seen him so angry at times, but then he comes back to play "you got her in your pocket", and basically breaks down crying at the end. i wish i could remember the song, but one towards the end he appeared to injure his left pinky. he was jumping around, screaming in pain and he even picked up a glass of champagne and slammed it against gear in the rear of the stage. when the band was taking their bows at the end he was looking up towards the balcony screaming F U's. the whole show was strange yet amazing at the same time if that makes sense. i hope all is ok in the jack white world. a friend i was with literally said she was scared of him as we were walking out, and is he on drugs or something? i did see him scoop up his son at the end as he left the stage. hopefully he can find peace in being with his family in his hometown.
That can go now.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Fox Theatre Detroit

Post by arewhyehen »

I was up in the box seats (below the balcony) and a bunch of us were standing in the area we were in. It was a great view with no obstructions. I am not sure when you are referring to everyone on the floor sitting down...After the first song I think everyone was on their feet and it stayed that way all night.... Maybe there were a few around you not standing, but the majority of the crowd seemed to be standing the entire time...
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

arewhyehen wrote:I was up in the box seats (below the balcony) and a bunch of us were standing in the area we were in. It was a great view with no obstructions. I am not sure when you are referring to everyone on the floor sitting down...After the first song I think everyone was on their feet and it stayed that way all night.... Maybe there were a few around you not standing, but the majority of the crowd seemed to be standing the entire time...
did you notice the guy on stage was pissed off? the guy who kept bringing up his frustration every other song? i could hear him talking/screaming off mic at himself and the band. the dude was borderline lunatic last night he was so pissed. it was a great show, he used most of the frustration for the good of the show.
That can go now.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

DBCooper wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:I was up in the box seats (below the balcony) and a bunch of us were standing in the area we were in. It was a great view with no obstructions. I am not sure when you are referring to everyone on the floor sitting down...After the first song I think everyone was on their feet and it stayed that way all night.... Maybe there were a few around you not standing, but the majority of the crowd seemed to be standing the entire time...
did you notice the guy on stage was pissed off? the guy who kept bringing up his frustration every other song? i could hear him talking/screaming off mic at himself and the band. the dude was borderline lunatic last night he was so pissed. it was a great show, he used most of the frustration for the good of the show.
I am not disagreeing with you about him being angry. I just meant that the majority of the crowd was standing the entire time. It was pretty cool just hovering over everyone's heads..
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

I was just forward of the balcony lip on the floor and everyone I could see going forward was standing and if there were a few that weren't, they were hidden by those that were standing. Toward the end folks started leaving and the old people started sitting down I noticed. Obviously those of us toward the back didn't have the view you did DBCooper so you are a better judge of just how many were seated when you looked back. I was sort of baffled by his anger during the show, again not seeing things from his perspective. I did my part participating in row R but I guess the good didn't outweigh the bad at this show. I'm in the GA pit tomorrow so I'll try to do better.

I was really worried one of his strings had broken at that one point and cut his finger, but sounds like his ring got stuck in the strings. I kept looking for blood but didn't see any so I figured he was okay.

Such a strange show and dynamic.... And if you're from Gaylord and didn't go, you really missed your chance to stand up and be counted. :lol:
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
DBCooper
Little Acorn

Post by DBCooper »

rsimms3 wrote:I was just forward of the balcony lip on the floor and everyone I could see going forward was standing and if there were a few that weren't, they were hidden by those that were standing. Toward the end folks started leaving and the old people started sitting down I noticed. Obviously those of us toward the back didn't have the view you did DBCooper so you are a better judge of just how many were seated when you looked back. I was sort of baffled by his anger during the show, again not seeing things from his perspective. I did my part participating in row R but I guess the good didn't outweigh the bad at this show. I'm in the GA pit tomorrow so I'll try to do better.

I was really worried one of his strings had broken at that one point and cut his finger, but sounds like his ring got stuck in the strings. I kept looking for blood but didn't see any so I figured he was okay.

Such a strange show and dynamic.... And if you're from Gaylord and didn't go, you really missed your chance to stand up and be counted. :lol:
ya i couldnt tell what happened with the finger? he was kinda flipping out about for a minute though so it must've been painful. he only had a ring on his right hand i believe. it was the III logo. im pretty sure though the finger injured was the left pinky. i did not see any blood either. maybe a shock? i dont know. looked painful though. yes gaylord and highland park had missed their chance.
That can go now.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Definitely his left hand. Someone at LR had mentioned the ring theory, sounded plausible. Whatever it was, he was NOT happy about it.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
rival
Little Ghost

Post by rival »

He leaned in over Daru's drum kit and Daru accidentally crushed his finger with his stick while going for a cymbal. Thats's when Jack got really pissed. He immediately tried to take his ring off because of the swelling then proceeded to take a swig of champagne and smash the glass on the Theremin stand. Fats was picking little pieces of glass out from around him while the roadies were mopping up around the amps that received most of the glass/booze.

I thought the set list was great. Not a huge fan of Jack dragging on the end of some songs. I remember last solo tour he would fire through songs. This time around it seemed like he really wanted to jam a lot more.

As for the sitters, I saw none. I did see a lot of still bodies though looking back. People not even really bobbing their heads.

I will say that drunk shitheads leaving their row ZZ seats to come stand at the very front of the isle and obstruct everyone and annoy the people who actually had tickets up there is getting really old. I'll never understand why people think that they deserve special treatment at a concert and everyone else can just go fuck themselves. Terrible way to conduct yourself at a show. Give your head a shake.

Having said all that, it was really great running into Ryan before hand and catching up fin person. Saw some people I recognized from here but don't know well enough to strike up a conversation. Seems like the faces I recognized all enjoyed themselves last night.
Hey, it's just a fucking record. Chill.
josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

rival wrote:He leaned in over Daru's drum kit and Daru accidentally crushed his finger with his stick while going for a cymbal. Thats's when Jack got really pissed. He immediately tried to take his ring off because of the swelling then proceeded to take a swig of champagne and smash the glass on the Theremin stand. Fats was picking little pieces of glass out from around him while the roadies were mopping up around the amps that received most of the glass/booze.
Can you remember what song it was??
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS
polkadot
Little Bird

Post by polkadot »

I was row L last night and enjoyed every second of the show. People were standing through most of the show where I was sitting. There were pockets of people who were standing but not moving at all. I don't get it. There were a few people who left early near me... which I couldn't believe. There were also pockets of people who were REALLY into it though too.

The set list was amazing and the length of the show far exceeded my expectations. Jack's energy was incredible right out of the gate. You Got Her In Your Pocket was very special. People were cheering and shouting out their love for Jack throughout the song. When Jack became emotional though you could hear a pin drop and then the crowd helped him sing the last line. Really beautiful and I am so thankful to have been a part of that experience. B&B, FILWAG, and Cut Like a Buffalo were also highlights for me.

Looking forward to tomorrow. I won early entry and although I have seen Jack many times, it will be my first time seeing him right up front. Is it weird that I teared up when I got the email?
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

polkadot wrote: Is it weird that I teared up when I got the email?
yes.
<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
Sweetie
Little Bird

Post by Sweetie »

PugFaceRex wrote:
yes.
No.
runofthemill
Little Ghost

Post by runofthemill »

Sweetie wrote:
PugFaceRex wrote:
yes.
No.
Maybe?
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

polkadot wrote:I was row L last night and enjoyed every second of the show. People were standing through most of the show where I was sitting. There were pockets of people who were standing but not moving at all. I don't get it. There were a few people who left early near me... which I couldn't believe. There were also pockets of people who were REALLY into it though too.

The set list was amazing and the length of the show far exceeded my expectations. Jack's energy was incredible right out of the gate. You Got Her In Your Pocket was very special. People were cheering and shouting out their love for Jack throughout the song. When Jack became emotional though you could hear a pin drop and then the crowd helped him sing the last line. Really beautiful and I am so thankful to have been a part of that experience. B&B, FILWAG, and Cut Like a Buffalo were also highlights for me.

Looking forward to tomorrow. I won early entry and although I have seen Jack many times, it will be my first time seeing him right up front. Is it weird that I teared up when I got the email?
It is amazing the difference being right in front versus a seat. I've been in both situations many times. It is awesome to see how much emotion Jack puts into a show and see all the interaction between bandmates. It is a truly awesome experience. So enjoy the shit out if it. It's going to blow your mind :-)

Congratulations on getting early entry.
Go get as close as you can and maintain your position. Make friends with the people next to you. Have fun !
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Maybe Jack can write a list of how he expects a crowd to act during a show and post it on the website.
I know he doesn't like cell phones, fair enough but let's see if I get this right.
I pay for my ticket, transport, merchandise, beverages etc and on top of that I have to be carefull not to piss him off, monitor his mood swings and adjust my behaviour accordingly.
Interesting......
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.