Milwaukee - Monday July 21

Worldwide - Since 2012
mumbercycle
Little Bird

Re: Milwaukee - Monday July 21

Post by mumbercycle »

Has anybody seen Jack in rarer form than he was Monday night? I've never seen him so... unhinged. He seemed so reserved the past few years and now it's as if he's uncaged. It was insane and awesome. Whatever he's doing differently, I hope it continues.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ I've thought that watching the broadcasts of a few shows this tour. There's definitely something different going on with him this tour. Whether it's more champagne than usual or something else, there's no telling.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
jbjohnbender
Little Bird

Post by jbjohnbender »

Spamber wrote:He started the St Louis encore with FILWAG. And yes, thankfully Milwaukee was MUCH louder than St Louis - you could tell he was happy about that
I think he was playing to the venues...the Fox Theater is so regal and grand - it resulted in a more toned down show. The encore was easily the best part of the STL show because it just straight up rocked for a few songs.

Milwaukee was hotter than hell, and it resulted in a crushing rock n roll show. I'm getting old - I gave up after about the first half hour and drank some beers and watched from the back (the sound was much better from back there).

Those said, here's my unpopular opinion...these shows were really good and fun, but I left them really missing minimalist Jack White. I thought the extra musicians took away from the White Stripes songs instead of making them better - it was too much sound for those songs. The songs from his solo albums sounded much better because they are structured for a full band. I'll absolutely go see JWiii if he comes to Minneapolis, but I won't need to travel to see him again.
mumbercycle
Little Bird

Post by mumbercycle »

Kali Durga wrote:^^ I've thought that watching the broadcasts of a few shows this tour. There's definitely something different going on with him this tour. Whether it's more champagne than usual or something else, there's no telling.
Hah, maybe champagne is the magic potion that's making him come alive... He's had a bottle of Cliquot for each of these shows. I don't remember that ever being a stage component before, though I could be mistaken.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Just 'cause it hasn't been on stage before, doesn't mean it hasn't been backstage. But yeah, it's been very conspicuous this tour. Jack's definitely become a rock star.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
makers888
Little Acorn

Post by makers888 »

mumbercycle wrote:Has anybody seen Jack in rarer form than he was Monday night? I've never seen him so... unhinged. He seemed so reserved the past few years and now it's as if he's uncaged. It was insane and awesome. Whatever he's doing differently, I hope it continues.
Funny as I had this discussion with a few people after the show. Was it you!?

I completely agree! It actually compares to a pair of back to back shows I'd seen during the 'Get Behind Me Satan' tour in 2005. Just a lot of energy throughout the entire show and couldn't sit still. And considering the conditions (heat, technical difficulties, terrible venue for sound) he was really into it!

I also hope this continues! A lot like the back to back shows I'd seen several years back, I wasn't super excited to see Jack going into the show. Granted I drove several hours for it, I just decided to go to say that I saw him during this tour (and to visit one of my best friends :) ) I was pleasantly surprised! It was a great show and was WELL worth the time and travel! Now I'm itching to see him again.
curseofhalos

Post by curseofhalos »

http://pitchfork.com/news/56020-jack-wh ... -with-fan/

See 7NA with a fan playing and the cover of Royals.