How is the Lazaretto touring band vs. the Peacocks+Buzzards?

Worldwide - Since 2012
UniformRecon
Little Bird

How is the Lazaretto touring band vs. the Peacocks+Buzzards?

Post by UniformRecon »

Now that some of us have seen the new song variations and the fixed touring group behind the Lazaretto tour, what do you guys think?
Are there certain song variations that sound better than the Blunderbuss tour versions? Worse than the Blunderbuss tour?
Do you like Jack's choices for permanent members? Any members that aren't a good fit?
Do you like having the single band, or did you enjoy the Peacock set + Buzzard set dynamic of the last tour?
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Re: How is the Lazaretto touring band vs. the Peacocks+Buzza

Post by yolomanolo »

I really like the two bands because it was excited to guess which band will play like it gives me the feeling that anything can happen and keeps me on my toes. The new band sounds good based on the videos I've seen but I'll come back to this thread after I see him on Tuesday.
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

Hoping to see them live in Pittsburgh but without seeing them yet I will say I like the two band act. Saw Jack in Detroit and it was the peacocks then saw him in Columbus and it was the buzzards. He was two different experiences. In Detroit with the peacocks it felt more mellow and I feel like Jack played amazing with them and felt a connection. In Columbus with the buzzards they just rocked out and it was awesome. It was great getting to experience that but kinda happy he is sticking to one backing band now.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I think he has surrounded himself with top quality musicians. The best of the best, I love the new band, the weakest link would be the young lady playing fiddle and singing but she adds a lot of character to the show so she has her spot. I love the band he is touring with. I liked the 2012 bands but the 2014 is better ...... To me.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

I like the new band better. Not sure why but I think as long as Daru is there, it will sound awesome. Seriously great chemistry between him and jack.

Jack and Daru should go on tour as the Grey Keys and play white stripes songs.
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

After much deliberation I think I'm more partial to Carla's drumming.
Precise, methodical, clean.
I love Daru don't get me wrong, but when more often than not when I hear a live track or studio track and love the drumming it's from Carla.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

I love this band. I feel like they have great chemistry and Jack's been more "inside" this band (more of an ensemble feeling) than when he played with the two separate entities, where I felt with the Blunderbuss tour it was the Jack White Show Featuring —insert band name here—.

There are times I feel Daru overplays and overpowers the band—but then he lays back and/or he does something outrageously insane and I think no one could be more perfect (for this band). I think Carla is a very very very talented drummer but I felt no super-hot chemistry in the live sets between her and JW like I do between JW and Daru. Dominic is a killer rock-solid bassist, love his style, and everyone else fits in like high-grade oil in a fine-tuned engine.

My only—minor—issue (I won't say "complaint") is that it seems like Jack is rockin' out on the Daru/Dominic side way way more than on the Owens/Lillie Mae side. I could totally imagine JW/Daru/Dominic playing a short set by themselves by the way they lock in so tight. But DAMN, this is a great band and they all get their moments to shine. In Charlotte, "Sixteen Saltines"/"Freedom at 21" was just about as powerful as I could ever dream it of being; and "Icky Thump" was far and away one of the top 10 JW moments for me ever.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

woodisgood wrote: I could totally imagine JW/Daru/Dominic playing a short set by themselves by the way they lock in so tight.
Those were some of my favorite moments on the Blundberbuss tour, watching the three of them. I'm very much looking forward to more moments like that.

I'm also glad Fats is in the band, too. Can't wait to watch him play theremin.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Dominic is brilliant ! Fats is brilliant, the piano/keyboardist is brilliant.
The Theramin playing is one of the coolest things I have seen in a long time. Can't wait for a DVD someday from the shows !
These guys and gal are great. I know many of you have said they don't like the twang .... I like it married with the rocking out. I love songs with many tempo changes !!! Nashville has had a profound effect on Jack. If he does have a song crossover on both the rock and country charts he will be filthy ass rich .....
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

^^^For me the twang is a part of what I'm deeply digging. When the pedal steel or fiddle have their moments in these songs live on stage, I'm super-sharp tuned in.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

woodisgood wrote:^^^For me the twang is a part of what I'm deeply digging. When the pedal steel or fiddle have their moments in these songs live on stage, I'm super-sharp tuned in.
Absofuckinglutely !
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

chaptertwentyone wrote:After much deliberation I think I'm more partial to Carla's drumming.
Precise, methodical, clean.
I love Daru don't get me wrong, but when more often than not when I hear a live track or studio track and love the drumming it's from Carla.
I'm not going to disagree in that Carla is the shit. I was on the rail in Boston (right in front of her) when I saw her break a stick, toss it, grab another, and NEVER miss a beat! I thought I was in love beforehand, but I'd become Mr. Carla Azar any day of the week! However, I agree with the following:
shteev wrote:I like the new band better. Not sure why but I think as long as Daru is there, it will sound awesome. Seriously great chemistry between him and jack.

Jack and Daru should go on tour as the Grey Keys and play white stripes songs.
While I love watching Carla do her thing, I think Jack and Daru DO click better. In my opinion, Daru has a dynamism that's infectious and tends towards the power/energy that Meg displayed during her time. He and Jack just feed off each other during a show and the crowd can sense it; making us just that much crazier. Like blood in the water...
At least I'm not racin' towards a red light…
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White
UniformRecon
Little Bird

Post by UniformRecon »

Alabama Woody wrote: the weakest link would be the young lady playing fiddle and singing but she adds a lot of character to the show so she has her spot
I guess I kind of agree with you in that she's the weakest link, along with whoever is playing piano/acoustic guitar. I don't think they capture the energy of Jack's performances that the other members capture. When I see Daru having the time of his life, I love it, but Lillie Mae doesn't seem like she's really into it at all.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I love the piano player ! They are all very top notch at what they do. Lillie Mae is the weakest link, but not weak by any means, just compared to who is surrounding Her.
Her voice is much better this tour. I think she has been practicing. Let's face it Jack likes having a Girl around. Who can blame him.

The band is the most talented band I think Jack has had. I liked the girl/boy tour thing for one go, I think it's probably a little much to manage. I think the current band is perfect.
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
John Tom
Little Cream Soda

Post by John Tom »

UniformRecon wrote:I guess I kind of agree with you in that she's the weakest link, along with whoever is playing piano/acoustic guitar. I don't think they capture the energy of Jack's performances that the other members capture. When I see Daru having the time of his life, I love it, but Lillie Mae doesn't seem like she's really into it at all.
I agree about Daru. I would say that the best band would be nothing more than Jack + Daru or Jack + Daru + Dominic. Lillie Mae and Ikey and the rest are filler in many ways.
Alabama Woody wrote:I love the piano player ! They are all very top notch at what they do. Lillie Mae is the weakest link, but not weak by any means, just compared to who is surrounding Her.
Her voice is much better this tour. I think she has been practicing. Let's face it Jack likes having a Girl around. Who can blame him.

The band is the most talented band I think Jack has had. I liked the girl/boy tour thing for one go, I think it's probably a little much to manage. I think the current band is perfect.
I agree that Lillie's voice is much better compared to Blunderbuss and that she can look a little lost on stage; especially when Jack and Daru get going, but I humbly disagree that the current band is perfect. I would wager that most Swirlers would gladly return to the minimalist days of The White Stripes and the only way for Jack to be as good as he was then is to return to a more minimalist band of guitar and drums (and bass since Dominic is so good).
At least I'm not racin' towards a red light…
--Det. Rust Cohle

Thank you, Tulsa. I can't even lie to you. I love your town so much. Tulsa is more America than America is America. God bless you. I love you. Thank you so much.
--Jack White