July 27th, 2014 Stage AE Pittsburgh

Worldwide - Since 2012
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: July 27th, 2014 Stage AE Pittsburgh

Post by Kali Durga »

skere26 wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned yet: beware that Machester City is playing AC Milan at Heinz field at 4pm. Parking may get a bit dicey...if you are not tailgating, id park downtown and take the T to Stage AE.
Thanks for the heads up. How early do soccer fans usually start filling up the lot?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Kali Durga wrote:
skere26 wrote:Haven't seen it mentioned yet: beware that Machester City is playing AC Milan at Heinz field at 4pm. Parking may get a bit dicey...if you are not tailgating, id park downtown and take the T to Stage AE.
Thanks for the heads up. How early do soccer fans usually start filling up the lot?
This is an exhibition game, so it's not something that happens with any sort of frequency, so I would imagine people will turn up for it. If you don't want to take the T, they may have the Roberto Clemente bridge closed off. Either way, the Roberto Clemente bridge has a sidewalk so if you don't mind walking from downtown you can save a few bucks.

Also, will post the final parts of my guide on thursday so keep your eyes peeled

edit: I hope everyone has a really fun time in Pittsburgh and hopefully find some cool things, can't wait to hear about the show, bummed I will not be in town to see it!
skere26
Little Bird

Post by skere26 »

If anyone is coming from the Buffalo area with a truck...I will make it worth your while to haul something down to me. PM if interested.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

GoGoHarlemBaby’s Guide to Pittsburgh…Part 5

Squirrel Hill- I already wrote extensively about Jerry’s so I won’t detail much more of that, but I thought I should add some more about things to do around the area.

So obviously- Jerry’s/Whistlin’ Willies 78’s/Galaxy Electronics – Go here, enough said.

The main area to hang out here is the block around Forbes and Murray. This is where a lot of the shops are. Squirrel Hill has a few neat things, but I would say about 90% of the time I am here is for Jerry's...

In particular, I would check out the CD exchange. They deal mostly in second hand CDs/DVDs/Video Games, but lately they’ve been getting more vinyl so there will be occasionally a good find here.

Food:

-Aladdin’s - Pretty good middle eastern food and fairly cheap.

-Smallman Street Deli- Great Jewish Deli

-There is also a pretty good ramen place that just opened (same side of Forbes as the CD Exchange), I can’t remember the name of it though, big portions though.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

GoGoHarlemBaby’s Guide to Pittsburgh…Part 6

Oakland – This is where the University of Pittsburgh main campus is located, kind of a college town sort of area, here are my picks:

Forbes Avenue from around McKee to Bouquet has a lot of restaurants, typical college fare.

Museums/Sights:

Cathedral of Learning – This is Pitt’s flagship building, its an impressive 38 floor gothic cathedral with a great main hall area. For any Harry Potter fans, people compare it to a real life Hogwarts. They also have decorated a bunch of different rooms in different national themes (Swedish Room, Indian Room, African Room, etc…) and give tours. It is at least worth walking around the main hall though.

Carnegie Museum of Art/Natural Science-Another great museum, I’m not sure how much admission costs now, but if you like museums this is one to go to.

Shops:

Phantom of the Attic – A pretty cool comic store, worth checking out if you are into comics.

There used to be a cool record store across the street from Phantom of the Attic, but I haven’t been there in a while so I’m not sure if it’s still there…
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Holy moley, heck with the Warhol musuem, that Cathedral of Learning sounds incredible.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Getbacktogether
Little Acorn

Post by Getbacktogether »

I want to go to this so bad..... I have money. I need tickets, a hotel and to get off work on Monday. Two of those things are possible.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Kali Durga wrote:Holy moley, heck with the Warhol musuem, that Cathedral of Learning sounds incredible.
http://www.nationalityrooms.pitt.edu/ab ... l-learning

link if you are interested
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Start my 8 hour journey soon - should be a great weekend. Thanks again for all the info
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

No problem, enjoy! Also, in regard to Mind Cure Records mentioned in the polish hill part of the guide, here is a link about their singles series:

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mind-cure-records-singles
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Think I'll need a place to buy a raincoat - looks like thunder storms night of the show. It's all outdoors correct?
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Yup. Gonna be interesting, huh? I'm packing my waterproof mascara.
JoseyWales
Little Acorn

Post by JoseyWales »

Anyone have an extra ticket?
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

Anyone have an idea of a good time to line up to get a good spot?
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

thenewdeal wrote:Anyone have an idea of a good time to line up to get a good spot?
About 3 hours ago at least
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.