Little Cream Soda

Re: July 27th, 2014 Stage AE Pittsburgh

Post by TRWS75 »

Wow! Thanks for the info.
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Got kind of busy this week, will have much more time come monday night when I will finish my guide, however a friend reminded me of a critical detail I completely forgot to mention:

In the strip district, there is a rock n roll bar called The 31st Street Pub (at Penn and 31st). That is decorated with stuff of bands that have passed through over the years. If you look up on the ceiling, there is a drum head signed by Jack and Meg from way back (6/15/2001 according to http://www-personal.umich.edu/~brt/expe ... lists.html). Might be worth grabbing a PBR to see it, and take in what it must've been like to see Jack and Meg in a tiny dive bar. They also get some good bands through there (a la the Nobunny show I taped), so it might be worth checking their schedule.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Hey, do you know of a good place to get breakfast in Pittsburgh before I leave for Detroit?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Kali Durga wrote:Hey, do you know of a good place to get breakfast in Pittsburgh before I leave for Detroit?
If it were me, I'd go to Kelly O's in the strip, to get even more specific, The OMG Breakfast- 2 eggs over easy w/ kielbasa, home fries & Mancini Toast. It's my perfect greasy diner breakfast, and they open pretty early (I believe 5am Monday-Saturday). Runner up would be DeLuca's, but it's been so long I don't know what to recommend. They do some solid pancakes I believe...

Also, I don't know where you are staying, but if it's downtown, the strip district is literally like 2 minutes away via car.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Ah, perfect, that's my kinda breakfast! I'm staying downtown, so I'll definitely look for Kelly O's. Thank you!
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

Be sure to get the mancini's toast if you get a toast option, made fresh everyday like 3 or 4 blocks away.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

What exactly is Mancini's toast?
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

It's nothing that fancy, just really fresh local toast. Mancini's is a local bakery in the strip, they make a ton of really good breads.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Alrighty, sounds good to me. Thanks again for all the recommendations!
GoGoHarlemBaby
Little Bird

Post by GoGoHarlemBaby »

GoGoHarlemBaby's Guide to the City of Pittsburgh...Part 4

Polish Hill
This is a mostly residential neighborhood, but I thought I should mention it because this is where the TMR Rolling Record Store stopped in Pittsburgh.

Lili Café/Mind Cure Records/Copacetic Comics: These places are all in one building, each on a different floor. All of these places are pretty small, so they wouldn't take too much time to go through.

Lili Café – Cool kind of punk rock coffee shop, nice place to grab a quick beverage.

Mind Cure Records – This is the record store the RRS came to. It is fairly small, but Mike, the owner is pretty good about keeping cool stuff in stock, both new releases and used. He is pretty particular about what he buys used so there isn’t too much junk and he keeps his prices reasonable.

Also, this past year, he did a monthly 7” series featuring local bands. Mostly Punk/Hardcore/Rock n Roll stuff, but the latest release is by local country favorites, the Beagle Brothers doing a take on Mr. Roger’s “Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” The Record looks like an old sun record, and all benefits go to the Fred Rogers foundation/WQED (channel that Mr. Rogers was on) pretty cool if you ask me. Also, if you are looking for some records that aren’t offered outside of Pittsburgh, you might want to check out the series if Punk/Hardcore/Rock n Roll is your thing.

Copacetic Comics – I haven’t given this the proper checking out that I should of, but features a lot of graphic novels/indie comics, stuff not related to superhero kind of stuff.

Bars:

Gooski’s – Smokey punk bar. Super dark, rough vibe but great food. Kind of a Pittsburgh hidden gem. Cash only, and most nights there is probably a cover for some hardcore/metal/punk act. Timmy, the bartender is super cool and looks like a wizard, also recently rated best bartender in Pittsburgh. Know what you want to drink when you go up to the bar.
thenewdeal
Little Cream Soda

Post by thenewdeal »

awesome stuff, gogo! thanks again.

I can add a list of people attending this to the first post - let me know if you'll be there!
Miss X
Little Bird

Post by Miss X »

I'm glad Gooskies was mentioned. Love that bar. 31st Street Pub too- good call! The morning radio station that I listen to is hyping up the show big time. They also had a call-in session about the current condition of "annoying behavior" at concerts. Of course, cell phone recording was the biggest topic- and they mentioned how Jack frowns upon that at his shows ;-) I am soooo looking forward to this weekend. Clutch 7/25, Jack 7/27 and the Offspring 7/29 (all at Stage AE, I should buy stock there).
JWhiteIII
Little Acorn

Post by JWhiteIII »

Is anyone down for a swirl meet up at some point?
Across the Rio Grand-e-o.....
jeejet
Little Bird

Post by jeejet »

I have an extra ticket if anyone knows someone who would like a ticket. Face Value plus shipping.
"And when you turn over, I get a funny feeling..." #jackitsaboner

Twitter: @jeejet, Instagram: jeejet7, Vault: jeejet
skere26
Little Bird

Post by skere26 »

Haven't seen it mentioned yet: beware that Machester City is playing AC Milan at Heinz field at 4pm. Parking may get a bit dicey...if you are not tailgating, id park downtown and take the T to Stage AE.