Jack White-28 Sept-Boston

Worldwide - Since 2012
wildroses3
Little Acorn

Re: Jack White-28 Sept-Boston

Post by wildroses3 »

So really great show, I was really impressed by Carla Azar. I'll post a picture of the poster in a few if no one else does.
wildroses3
Little Acorn

Post by wildroses3 »

It's a Todd Slater and Rob Jones. It's not signed or numbered, but the guy at the stand said it was out of something like 150.
bogartina
Little Bird

Post by bogartina »

a rainy, rainy Boston night...excellent show, despite the sound system and drunk kid college crowd talking texting being ...typical. what happened to the no photo rule? i don't recommend the venue, difficult to navigate& crowded
but it was easy to forget about all that bullshit cuz it was a great f**cking show

Sixteen Saltines
dead leaves and the dirty ground
Love Interruption
Missing Pieces
Hotel Yorba
Weep Themselves to Sleep
Cannon
Broken Boy Soldier
Top Yourself
Hypocritical Kiss
You Know That I Know
I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
We're Going to Be Friends
Hip (Eponymous) poor boy
Blue Blood Blues
Slowly Turning Into You
The Hardest Button to Button
Encore:
Freedom at 21
Ball and Biscuit
Seven Nation Army
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Forgot to post over here about this show... Oops. This weekend's been too crazy. Please excuse that I'm copy/pasting from elsewhere--

My friend Steve and I got there around noon and joined up with Robert, who'd been the only person there since 9am. We were joined a few minutes later by a nice young guy who was seeing Jack for the second time, and who'd been back by the tour buses and heard from one of the drivers that Jack and the band had arrived a little while ago after a 10 hour drive from Charlottesville and that they were apparently a bit wiped out. It was hours before anyone else showed up, even when the doors opened at 6 there probably weren't even 100 people there. Needless to say, we had no problem getting the "sweet spot" on the rail.

Openers Shovel & Rope were a very fun surprise. We'd heard that they were a folky male/female duo, but they turned out to be a nicely raucous Americana-inspired duo who traded back and forth between drums and guitar, with the addition of some harmonica and keyboard. The woman's got a heck of a voice and a terrific stage presence. Would definitely enjoy seeing them again sometime.

Despite ripping into Sexteen Salteens at the beginning, Jack did seem a bit sudbued early in the show. Love Interruption was the third or fourth song of the set, and he had issues during the first verse with his mic-- It was feeding back a little bit and he kept jerking his head back with an aggravated look on his face, as if he was getting an actual shock from it. Seemed fine when Ruby came up front for the second verse, though.

The big, hot pink, lacy bra that was thrown on stage during Yorba. Cracked me the hell up. When it landed at the bottom of his mic stand, he just kind of glanced down at it, and the "Thank you... Mom" was delivered completely dead-pan. I thought Jo was going to die when he tossed it over and it landed on his piano mic between her and Brooke, she was laughing so hard.

He loosened up halfway through the set and began smiling a bit, but there was still a slightly strange feel to this show. Didn't stop us from rocking the hell out, though. Ball & Biscuit was smoldering as usual. And I lovedlovedloved both the Cannon>short surf jam>Red Bird>BBS>Cannon and Hippo Boy tease>WAGTBF>Hippo Boy combos. Also got a kick out of his nod to Chico Marx during I Guess I Should Go To Sleep, doing Chico's gunshot single piano key stroke at one point near the end of the song.

So glad I tacked this show on to the Radio City weekend. Despite the extra money spent and the hours (and hours) of driving, so far it's by far the better experience.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
wildroses3
Little Acorn

Post by wildroses3 »

Kali Durga wrote: I lovedlovedloved both the Cannon>short surf jam>Red Bird>BBS>Cannon and Hippo Boy tease>WAGTBF>Hippo Boy combos.
Yeah loved this so much
slyke25
Little Bird

Post by slyke25 »

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share the photos that I took at Friday night's Boston show at Agganis Arena. Great show, and it was the first time seeing Jack since the White Stripes show at the same venue about five years ago.

http://bostonthroughmyeyes.com/post/32666115160

Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Hey Chris, welcome to White Swirl. Gorgeous photos, thank you for sharing them here.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."