Jack White @ WorkPlay Soundstage, Birmingham, AL 03/12/12

Worldwide - Since 2012
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Re: Jack White @ WorkPlay Soundstage, Birmingham, AL 03/12/1

Post by ellisintransit »

From a distance the poster looked like a vulture (albeit with huge wings) in mid flap, but once I got an arm's-length view it definitely looks like a man in mid-free fall. It's sort of in the eye of the beholder I suppose. The tour edition LI 7" was available and plenty to be had. I was maybe 60-70 people back in the line and got one no problem. The opening band was not to my liking so I went out into the merch area to sit down, and they had a full, new stack for all the latecomers but I didn't check after the show to see if they were still available. I imagine there should be plenty to go around at each show. I'm working so I don't have time to add much more now, but again I must say this show was amazing. Ball and Biscuit was effing ridiculous. Can't wait to see the show again...come on Nashville. SXSW is in for one hell of a treat.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Markus19138 wrote:So was the RRS there?
I checked Twitter all damn day waiting to find out where they would be or if they were even going to make it after missing Savannah, but they didn't post any updates until we were already at the show, to say that they wouldn't be there.
Markus19138
Little Bird

Post by Markus19138 »

ellisintransit wrote:
Markus19138 wrote:So was the RRS there?
I checked Twitter all damn day waiting to find out where they would be or if they were even going to make it after missing Savannah, but they didn't post any updates until we were already at the show, to say that they wouldn't be there.
Bummer
hxcoliver
Little Acorn

Post by hxcoliver »

the poster kind of reminds of me of Inception
superchadw
Little Bird

Post by superchadw »

I got one at the workplay show and it is definitely a guy falling. Cant really determine if he jumped from a building or falling from the sky. The shimmer on the poster is amazing. Hold it up to the light and there are thousands of blue and silver glitter pieces. I really wish i would have gotten to the chattanooga show early enough to get a poster there too. Both shows were amazing and different from each other.
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

Here's a review from al.com. Nothing said that hasn't been said here better already, but posted for posterity.

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.s ... stage.html
thirdtesla
Little Cream Soda

Post by thirdtesla »

Amazing Show!!! He talked quite a bit... Seems like he has more fun with the guy band... The Drummer is AMAZING!!! He got mad at his Triple Jet During Sixteen Saltines... As soon as he got a break(the beginning of the riff during the 'Who's Jealous' part) he unplugged it and went for his Tele... His Tech took it off stage and when he returned with it, Jack waved the guy off... He stuck with his Acoustic and Tele for the rest of the night... He said "I've been here a few times... Hope we sound as good this time"... LAter he said "Are we cool now? Everything good between us? Are we friends again?" not really sure what he meant by that... During Top Yourself, the drummer got into a nice groove and when Jack settled in he said I bet ya'll love this groove in Birmingham, Alabama"... Later he said "It was a pleasure playing in Birmingham Again, I love ya'll so much"... Then before 'You know I know' He said "This is a song me and Hank Williams wrote"... Before Encore he said "I wasn't sure you wanted us to keep playing, since you do, is it ok if we play some new songs?"... Prior to Goodnight Irene he Said "Do you guys fell good? Having a good time? Then we've done our Job"... I was front row between the Key's and Jack(in front of the PA, so I was Deaf for the rest of the night!)... I heard him tell Ike(I believe that is the Keyboard players name) "That Bastard' while laughing when the drummer changed the beat on him... He seemed to be in good spirits... He noticed me singing along to 'Hello Operator', he grinned and started to sing in a very staccato like manner that he continued throughout the show... Like I said earlier, AMAZING show... I dug this show A LOT more than Chattanooga... I was able to get a pick(he threw me one when he got done with Two Against one-I think... I thought I lost it... When I got in the car, it was tangled in the t-shirt I bought and had wrapped up on the rail... a great little surprise!!!)... Also, I saw a broken Key from the keyboard fly over my head... I told Jo about it(she was getting into the show... great to see a photographer having as much fun as the audience...) after the show and she said she was gonna get a picture before they moved the gear... She also said something along the lines of this being the best one yet and that each show was better than the last(don't quote me, I was deaf from the PA...)... Sorry for the Long review... I didn't think any previous reviews, especially the one from al.com, did the show justice... Great Poster BTW... The girl that I bought it from said they only made 80 and it was one per person... Also had Blue Button sets, Stickers, Reg. LI EPs, Tour LI EPs, Farm Fly Blues EPs, Blue T-shirts, Black T-shirts and other Misc. Merch... I Got A Blue Shirt, Poster and Tour EP... Strange that he didn't do LI, I heard form someone that she wasn't there, but I saw someone that looked A LOT like her when I went into the soundstage before they locked the doors(I saw several Cartons of American Spirits Blues and cases of Corona with a note taped to it 'Headliner'...)... Also, a Vault friend said she saw Ruby in the Bathroom, so I'm pretty sure she was there... To all of you guys that are going to catch him later in the year, You are in for one Hell of a Show!!! Out of all the Tours I've seen him on, he seemed to be the happiest on this tour, by far!!! This may have been just a warm-up tour, But man o man, was it great show!!!
My Friends are all Dying and Death can't Be Lying... It's the Truth, and It Don't Make A Noise-'White Moon', THE White Stripes
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Don't apologize for a long review, that's what we want! Well, I do, which is all that matters. :D
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

i liked your review but english class helps too. Paragraphs please.
colditz
Little Acorn

Post by colditz »

7th_son wrote:This is courtesy jwiii.com, another Todd Slater:
Unfortunately, it's not one of Todd's - he's only done one of JW's tour prints (to date). This is a Rob Jones.
JACKWHITE_BIRMINGHAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

colditz wrote:
7th_son wrote:This is courtesy jwiii.com, another Todd Slater:
Unfortunately, it's not one of Todd's - he's only done one of JW's tour prints (to date). This is a Rob Jones.
JACKWHITE_BIRMINGHAM.jpg
which one was done by todd slater....so far i know of none that have been numbered or signed.....
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I was told the one from Chattanooga was Todd Slater.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
redsox401
Little Acorn

Post by redsox401 »

Kali Durga wrote:I was told the one from Chattanooga was Todd Slater.
the one from chatt was todd. its printed on the print in the bottom left corner. Bottom right has a third man icon
Hi
redsox401
Little Acorn

Post by redsox401 »

BOOM!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hi
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

thanks bob. was nice meeting you btw.
great!!!! glad i grabbed one then. thank you... i am proud to finally own a todd slater print
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.