Cains Ballroom ... Oct.12... thee end all be all

Worldwide - Since 2012
CainsBallroomErupts
Little Bird

Re: Cains Ballroom ... Oct.12... thee end all be all

Post by CainsBallroomErupts »

@Kali Durga thanks for the write-up. Cain's is just one of those places that musicians love to book. I've lived in Tulsa for 4 yrs and have never seen a show in OKC. If folks come to OK, they play Tulsa, and play Cain's. People love and respect the history of the place and understand where it fits in the tradition of authentic, American music. Glad you could make the trip.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Thanks for the blow by blow Kali... i am sure folks who were not there can get a better appreciation now

i remember thinking that Jack proved he is not just a clever crafter with an individual advantage of skill and knowledge but now has the vision and the willingness to learn the other artists leanings as a part of where their learning came from... he is definitely not working with back up people now and he knows that what they offer him is a better future

its as if Jack was getting enough input from his musicians creatively to entirely let go of seeking feedback from the audience as some sort of approval or any sort of inspiration even.... as if his focus on artistry and 'parenting' these new compositions was like a patient parent allowing his fellow musicians to keep him entirely tied to his new renditions of song lyrics and alternative timings which even showcased the other artists with ska-like off tempo jazz contributions

This is the poster for the Cain's show and at this point i can tell why Jack picked it/was inspired by it given all this back and forth with no real discussion as comparision... observations??? sure ... those are great but what about some interaction of what makes the artist or possibly how the artist is evolving and why the artist himself might have been pleased enough to play for 2 hours or change his stage arrangements to include an even greater set of artists

i think the decisive difference in this show evidenced by Jack's immeasurable pleasure at having arrived at as level of the sort of mature musicianship that comes with having built an entire community of willing participants who assisted in reconstructing years of his greatness as heart felt emotion and devotion in the midst of his peers and mentors as an amazing spiritual journey to realize his personal best..
Aquamarine wrote:It's not a contest--a good show is a good show, a great show is a great show, etc., so no reason for unnecessary comparisons. My point was simply that there have been high points since Memphis, possibly higher than Memphis (I don't know as I wasn't there). Omaha was way up there, too.

Edit: Not directed at you, CainsBallroomErupts. Good review!

So what you are really saying is that CainsBallroomErupts references the unparalleled value of this show 'unnecessarily' because their references really are no comparison to what they saw at this show to what happened at the Ryman??

Maybe we can actually discuss what the point was that i was emphasizing in my very first post ... this show was a turning point in the level of quality that we experienced in this tour based upon Jack's satisfaction

let me say that jack seemed to be operating from an entirely new level of orchestration with confidence last night enough to cover for any and every sort of variable... bringing Lillie Mae up to be his back up singer and keeping Pokey and the guys on the stage for i dont know how many songs while also pulling Fats down to play piano ... it was like a huge love fest that even the audience was in on and was called upon to play their part in Jack's Orchestration repeatedly...

i cannot tell you how many times he was overwhelmed with joy at our singing along and at the possibility of trying out yet another song with more people ... he literally was going off and on stage pulling more people out and calling for more and more solos from his fellow artists including the traditional bluegrass line up where all the musicians are garrison style pickin and soloing .... it really was Cain's Old Opry going on there last night which was evidenced by his playing 2 full hours

also... let me just compliment the number of fans who resisted 'the capture' and cell phone ridiculousness... nearly none in comparison with Jackson which was a fool fest with cameras and sight seers... as a matter of fact it seemed like Jack even played to one set of camera fools just like some sort of Eddie Van Halen guitar god would just to feed their face full

i edited this comment specifically to speak directly to the point that the initial post of the thread as opposed to focus on responding to disruption or interruption
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Aquamarine wrote:It's not a contest--a good show is a good show, a great show is a great show
Actually, agreed.
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:It's not a contest--a good show is a good show, a great show is a great show
Actually, agreed.
And agreed again.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

shaneoftheroad wrote:
Actually, agreed.
the spirit of the discussion is not meant to be competitive and yet the language was superlative and comparative at the outset for the sake of actually drawing some of the conclusions

any repeated attempts to detract, derail and otherwise devalue what is being said still adds up a whole lot of 'dis'
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Well that's one "deep" thread. It sounds like to me that NY has woke up Jack and he seems to have moved along quite nicely. SOunds to me that ya'll got to see a once in a lifetime sow. Some shows are better than the others. I was at the Ryman, the night he played the longest was real goood, the night he cut it short wasn't so great but atleast he played an encore.

Anyhow the Chattanooga show was his kick off show, so to speak and he seemed very happy and was strutting around like a Rooster. He asid he would be back to Chattanooga. That was a special show. The show in Red Rocks was damn good. Atlanta was exceptional........

Ya'll got a good show no reason to argue about it. I'm jelous of all you that got to go andI needs me that print!
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

well the one thing i have to say about Chattanooga and a lot of other shows at that time relative to quality was that there were a huge number of sound quality issues in the early days of this solo tour... Memphis didnt have any of those issues per say but i dont think the spirit of sound quality was really one of my points about why these shows were so good or why he was so happy

i remember him saying something about 'Memphis being a very special show' and i took it to heart... that's really what i meant

and this thread most definitely is only about Jack and what makes him happy... i have a feeling that this ongoing level of ignorance and dissent may not make him too happy either since that was not what that event last night was about at all
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Aquamarine wrote:
Very happy for everyone that it was such a great show. :)
This would be the ignorance etc. in question, maybe? :roll: (All I queried was whether it was the happiest he'd been since Memphis, seemed a dubious point of comparison, when comparison wasn't even needed.)
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

dubious? a : of doubtful promise or outcome <a dubious plan>. b : questionable or suspect as to true nature or quality

Aqua ... but there was nothing dubious about anything i have offered relative to this event as evidenced by other members posting in this thread despite the fact that people have stated that the Ryman was the best show they had seen
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Have a nice day. :)
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

you can quote me when i say 'its getting better all the time...'

so it goes! 8-)
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

Oy... You make things very difficult sometimes TRE.
skullfeast
Little Bird

Post by skullfeast »

Not much to add here, other than my little perspective. I was at the Tulsa show back in March, and at the one on 10/12. I had an amaaaaaazing night and was so impressed. I was lucky enough to get early entry. It kinda was messy the way it was done, but I still got to get in early-ish, and was right up in front, by Ikey and the piano. Magical evening, thank you to all previous reviews, the major points were covered. I appreciate the lack of cell phones, and the voracious enthusiasm from the crowd. I appreciate Jack and the Buzzards' energy, they all played a killer set. Pokey was a great act, and I have their album on order! With Jack White, I think each of us can say "their show was the best show of the tour". That's how he (and the band) makes you feel. That's how I felt the other night. I am so happy it went so well, and that I was there. Another unforgettable evening, and memories of pure magic that will stay with me forever. Thank you Tulsa, and thank you Jack White!
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

oi :mrgreen:
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:oi :mrgreen:
Mine was an exclamation of American frustration, not a traditional Jewish eye roll. Sometimes "oi" just isn't enough. You have to push it a step further to "oy".