Cains Ballroom ... Oct.12... thee end all be all

Worldwide - Since 2012
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Re: Cains Ballroom ... Oct.12... thee end all be all

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

Aquamarine wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote: Jack was the happiest he has been since Memphis
my only point was that there were a lot of great shows after Memphis, which wasn't necessarily the highwater mark. In their different ways, all the shows I've been to have been amazing. If sometimes a bit short, as in the case of Radio City I. :lol:

surely the type of venue has such an impact on his mood that this part of the conversation rests on that idea ... but i feel like there have been certain moments when Jack is specifically playing together with the Buzzards where they pull off some jazz riffs and tempo changes which seem to feed and fuel his growth as a musician... if i were to rest my sense of 'end all be all' at Cains it would be the way he felt completely fluid with those fellow artists as improv and freeform stylings

In Jackson he struggled with moments of fitting the rage of his guitar in with some really chill vibe going on with Ikey and Daru but at Cains it was like he had time to reflect and know when and what was going to fit... after looking at the photos of Cains you can see how he stands really far back from IKey and Daru as if to see the chemistry between them and thus fit that and let it lead him a bit more... adding Pokey and Lillie Mae into the mix made even more balance for him ... for me i felt like this was a turning point in his own sense of feeling like he was in his own element... unforced

i never meant for this to be a 'top yourself' one upsmanship but it seems to have been taken off in that direction ... i prefer to spend time understanding the elements of a performance that make it specifically genius or loving or on fire... this one was all three simultaneously and that is why i am making this effort to share what i witnessed as interactions
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

oh man... the pictures for this gig are up.... its a happy happy happy joy for all
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Regarding the unknown Hank Williams tune...looking through Jack's repertoire, it's possible that it might have been Tennessee Border?

Patient B1003
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

thats as good a guess as any... somehow i dont think that was played though... i believe whomever put together the setlisting simply forgot Nitro and because it was not played in the traditional tempo at first there was confusion

its possible that this song might have been played for a single verse but i remember singing along to everything so i find it difficult to agree that this song played that night... just a few thoughts from someone who was there
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I am 98% sure there was not an unknown Hank tune. I would have lost my mind if Jack did Tennessee Border, but my brain is still intact. He introduced You Know That I Know by saying he was going to play a Hank Williams song, I would bet that's what threw people off. My buddy Angelina is a huge Hank fan, if he'd played anything else besides YKTIK she probably would have recognized it.

There were two blues-y unknown songs, though, that no one's listed at setlist.fm. They both sounded very familiar to me, but I couldn't hear the words well enough to figure out what they were. Does anyone have any idea?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
figure8angel
Little Cream Soda

Post by figure8angel »

Unless it was a half bar or so, there's no way he played Tennessee Border, and I'd stake my future show going experiences saying he didn't play any Hank song other than You Know That I Know. The show was brilliant enough without us trying to add phantom songs to it! :D
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

On one of the unknown tunes, he sang something like "Ain't it a shame, little woman, that you have to live this way". What the heck song is that? I feel like I should know it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Kali Durga wrote:On one of the unknown tunes, he sang something like "Ain't it a shame, little woman, that you have to live this way". What the heck song is that? I feel like I should know it.
with that bit of lyrics one might think it was a Led Zeppelin cover but that was actually one of his own songs that he changed the lyrics on... maybe one of the white stripes songs....

i remember singing along with that song and then not knowing that part of the song as a part of being surprised that he replaced the lyrics in that part ... lets figure out what songs he changed the lyrics on that night and maybe i will remember... for some reason i thought it was the ending of Hypocritical Kiss or Trash Tongue Talker

honestly i think Angel here has figured out a piece of the puzzle if you read her review and how pieces had segway elements to them... i didnt see Nitro on setlist or here but we knew that was in there and their might have been a few bits and portions of other songs in the middle as we saw in Jackson where i swear Jack through some Isis in the middle of Blunderbuss... anyone else remember that too?
figure8angel wrote:During one song it seemed like he was looking at me, so I tilted my chin up towards him, you know that method of acknowledgement? I don't know how to describe it. Anyway, I did that and he did it back to me and winked! It was adorable. :wub:

Setlist according to anti-quiet seems pretty accurate, although there was one or two times where Jack was singing something I didn't recognize at all. I don't know if they were new songs or covers and I can't even remember what songs they were during, before, or after. The night was almost a blur!

Setlist:
Freedom at 21
Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
Missing Pieces
Love Interruption
Hotel Yorba
Top Yourself
I'm Slowly Turning Into You
Broken Boy Soldier
Blunderbuss
Cannon (w/ Ball And Biscuit snippet)
Hello Operator
Trash Tongue Talker
Take Me With You When You Go

Encore:
Sixteen Saltines
Steady As She Goes
Two Against One
You've Got Her in Your Pocket
Hypocritical Kiss
I Cut Like A Buffalo
I Guess I Should Go to Sleep
You Know That I Know, We Are Going To Be Friends
Goodnight Irene

Segueing from Pocket into Hypocritical Kiss was brilliant, Buffalo was just as fun as the other times I've seen it, and the last 3 songs with Pokey Lafarge and the South City Three and Lillie Mae was the closest to nirvana I think I will ever come. I was so happy and there was nothing else in the world except me and the band. And it was clear that everyone on that stage was thrilled to be there and having an amazing time.

At one point Jack came to the front of the stage with a giant smile on his face (THOSE DIMPLES! SWOON!) and pointed to his smile as if he wanted to be sure that everyone in the place could see it.

Then when he was thanking us I swear there were tears standing in his eyes, although maybe it was just my own tears coloring my perception. When they left the stage I just broke down. I've never just sobbed because of overwhelming emotion and joy at a show before in my life. Lucky Tam was there to lend me her shoulder because otherwise I probably would have been on my knees. After thinking back on it I think this was the best show of my life, barring the first White Stripes show I saw in 2003.
For me the big funny moment was when Pokey saw me on the side of the stage area and dead up stopped which took the whole band by surprise and they looked over at me too... at which point i waved and he gave me a huge smile because we are long time ago buddies... much to our happy reunion he swung by to introduce his lovely girlfriend to me and we made a little time... wow was she a looker!!!

again ... when it comes to those songs that may have had some variant additional lyrics... i dont think the set list is too far off and i can say for certain that there were no bob wills or hank songs other than what we heard but there were new lyrics/additions and some different time signatures to what we were hearing
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moller72
Little Ghost

Post by Moller72 »

Was it art of his ball and biscuit because I did not recognize that song for awhile the way he changed it.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Moller72 wrote:Was it art of his ball and biscuit because I did not recognize that song for awhile the way he changed it.
Now that i think about it there seemed like there was a variation in Blunderbuss that night... maybe it was that song that he made some changes because that did lead right into Cannon/Ball and Biscuit and there was something different about Cannon that made me think i didnt know where we were going next directly speaking

i certainly remember not recognizing Nitro for at least 4 measures.... whatever they did with We are Gonna Be Friends was completely off the charted graphs as well... he was exceedingly artful with remixing his songs at Jackson also... so... i dunno about ball and biscuit but its possible that it was a part of that rendition...

if you want a laugh check out these lyrics for Hypocritical Kiss at Lyrics Freak... they are the bomb http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jack+white ... 06345.html
CainsBallroomErupts
Little Bird

Post by CainsBallroomErupts »

Hey y'all...just got back from another epic show at this great venue. I've seen Band of Horses in Columbia, MO, here in Tulsa a few times before, and at the Ogden in Denver. The show tonight was the best BoH yet. I feel lucky to live minutes away from Cain's...once again tonight the setlist was extended; BoH closed with 4 covers, JJ Cale and Leon Russell, ending with 13 Days. Bands just friggin' play their balls off here!

I know this is a JW board, but just wanted to come back to it and add this little bit. Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa, Oklahoma is a legendary venue, a place where bands make damn sure they book. And more along the lines of this thread...they all pay a little tribute to it by playing great shows. Come see us if/ when you get the chance.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I envy you being so close to Cain's. I live half-way 'cross the country from it, but I'm gonna do whatever the hell I have to do to be there anytime Jack's there.
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

theeradicaleclectic wrote: if you want a laugh check out these lyrics for Hypocritical Kiss at Lyrics Freak... they are the bomb http://www.lyricsfreak.com/j/jack+white ... 06345.html
I read that just before a colleague walked into my office and I could not stop laughing... and trying to spit out the words Jimmy Jam Flim Flam to explain why I was laughing just made it harder not to laugh. ... Sheesh. Thanks for sharing :)
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

yep... them's the howlers and i have no idea who busted 'em out but they are seriously funny... randomly insane even... glad to share
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

figure8angel wrote:Unless it was a half bar or so, there's no way he played Tennessee Border, and I'd stake my future show going experiences saying he didn't play any Hank song other than You Know That I Know. The show was brilliant enough without us trying to add phantom songs to it! :D
according to this video clip I think maybe it was just a section of Tennessee Border

likely we couldnt hear it because the crowd was loosing their mind collectively