Little Cream Soda

Random news/magazine articles on Jack White

Post by DeeBee »

There's a terrific short article in the Village Voice, just out:
[Excerpts]
Pazz & Jop: You Don't Know Jack (White)
After a dozen years in the public eye, the man proves he can still surprise us
By Alan Light Wednesday, Jan 16 2013

It has been more than a dozen years since the release of the first White Stripes album, and music's greatest 21st-century trickster is still managing to get under people's skin. . . .
Like any great self-mythologizer, White also knows enough to play up the antagonism. . . .
After more than a decade in the spotlight, he's still flying at a different altitude than his peers—in a world of no style or all style, faux-humility or excessive bombast, he sees the bigger picture. . . .
Jack White is the most important figure in music today, though, not because of consistency or perfection, but because he's chasing something greater, because he still actually believes that this stuff matters. . . .

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-01-16/ ... ack-white/
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
NotACollector
Little Bird

Re: Random news/magazine articles on Jack White

Post by NotACollector »

That was pointless. It's just quotes culled form other sources and it doesn't even coincide with a new release. I would get it if it was published some time last year.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

^ I opened this topic with the intent that it could be a home for any and all articles on Jack White - the musician, the artist, the man - from any time, that appeared anywhere in news sites or magazines. It's not only for new news, and certainly not just for new releases of music or other merchandise. It's for any articles about the man himself, from whenever and wherever. I did a search first, and I didn't find any similar thread, so it seemed overdue.

At some point, it would be good to collect links from articles that have been posted elsewhere, to create an archive of articles on Jack White. I don't have a lot of free time to invest in that right now, but hopefully others will contribute links here as well.

Another article that I found interesting, regarding the Lady Gaga kerfuffle a while back, that addresses Jack White's ideas on artistic authenticity, visual image and iconography:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/201 ... hentic.php
What's remarkable about White's statement is the rare subtlety with which he views the issue of authenticity. He clearly believes an image, no matter how contrived, doesn't necessarily define the message it packages.
(The writer goes on to argue that Jack is wrong, because Erich Fromm sees the issue differently. I disagree with the writer, and I think Jack White has better insight into this than Fromm does; but I still think it's a good essay on an important topic.)
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

I meant that article was unnecessary. I'm not sure why the author wrote it unless he just needed to meet a deadline and had run out of ideas or if it's because the Grammy's are coming up.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

The Hollywood Reporter's annual music issue is out, and the cover story is on Jack White:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... 2nd-418105
There's an interview and also a photo gallery. (I have to wonder how much of the interview they used though; it seems like not much.) Also a nice quote from Conan O'Brien on their friendship.
On a more personal level, says O'Brien, "I think what I respond to the most is he is very sweet as well as a genuine artist. There is an authenticity to his joy … there's so much of Jack in what he does. He believes it's really important to do things the right way even if no one else notices. From his obsession with vinyl and with old recording methods to what he's wearing, it is a God-is-in-the-details philosophy."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Posted this elsewhere yesterday, but forgot to put it in Swirlville, too. Nicely written defense of Jack's artistry, once you get past that bizarre first paragraph-- http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/201429/ ... ght-sound/
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
tanzaib
Little Ghost

Post by tanzaib »

<tanzaib> any news on vault 26
<Jack White> @tanzaib cass corridor looming large in all of our lives around here
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Very cool, thanks for the link.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

Rolling Stone recently voted Jack as the eighth best live act out right now.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... w-20130731
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Uh.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/08/k ... ack-white/

:arrow:

A restraining order? I don't know about that one.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Odd. Hopefully they can get this worked out peacefully between themselves and have it not affect the kids much.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I always do my best to focus on the art and not the personal life, but this was just upsetting.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

I've never personally witnessed a divorce that was easy or amicable...
and it's always harder when kids are in the picture.
I hope the best for them both and especially the children.

But beyond that, I know not to believe everything I read & don't think it's anyone's business other than their family & friends.
NotACollector
Little Bird

Post by NotACollector »

This is the official source:

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/c ... anged-wife

It comes from a court reporter so he saw the official court documents.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Sad to hear. Also sad that it might affect the release of a second album Karen has been working on.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+