Go on... Flame me.

snippets and snails
DBMTB
Little Bird

Go on... Flame me.

Post by DBMTB »

Don't get me wrong folks .... have been on this train for a while.

But when Jack White was set to play Hamburg docks - I hummed and a aaahed - and didn't buy a ticket

When Jack White was set to play Copenhagen Falkoner - the same....

So I could have seen a JW show by driving about an hour and a half, either way.

And I couldn't be arsed.

Thing is... I have a chronic fear that it's never going to be any better than the 2 WS shows (including one of the longest shows they ever played) and the 1 DW shows I have seen.... And that like the constant flow of U2 disappointments I've been exposed to since 1992 that seeing the man one more time is just going to be a big let-down like it was the last couple of times I saw the Kills compared to the first time..

Convince me... How good are JW shows these days?
chris865
Little Ghost

Re: Go on... Flame me.

Post by chris865 »

Nothing worse than seeing a waning artist and wishing you'd been there 10yrs earlier.
However, JW is not in this category at all. Still making beautiful new music with passion and energy. I saw JW last
year in London and it was awesome.

No flaming here, but if you get the chance to see him again I recommend going.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

chris865 wrote:Nothing worse than seeing a waning artist and wishing you'd been there 10yrs earlier.
However, JW is not in this category at all. Still making beautiful new music with passion and energy. I saw JW last
year in London and it was awesome.

No flaming here, but if you get the chance to see him again I recommend going.

I am with Chris on this one. Jack has many years of music left in him where he is only going to get better and grow. I was able to see him 3 times on the tour, once in Chattanooga at the beginning of the solo tour and twice in Toronto near the end of the tour and just during that tour I could see the improvement and growth in the bands and him.

I have seen Jack prior to this with his other bands and they were and are still some of the best shows I have ever seen. I would say these solo shows are just as good, but they aren't something that I compare because his new music is separate from his past, although he does play songs from all his past bands as well :lol: I don't really look at it like that though and I don't think you should either. Don't compare this new stuff to the stripes or DW or Racs because then maybe you will set yourself up for a let down. That's the best part though, it's new and its growth...what's good about doing the same thing over and over?

Hopefully this makes sense...this is my 4000th post...wow :shock: I am the THIRD person to do this :lol:
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

If the many videos, blunderbuss and vault 14 haven't convinced you, stay home, but you will never know what you missed.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

This almost seems like another "haha, I saw the longest Stripes show and you didn't" post. :D

That being said, Jack is raw live. The non-Stripes show may not have the legendary magic but it still kicks your ass. See him solo, man. Otherwise there will be posts down the road that say "haha I saw Jack's most searing solo show and you didn't".
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

The tour is over.........you missed it. You might have fucked up?

:mrgreen:
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

shaneoftheroad wrote:This almost seems like another "haha, I saw the longest Stripes show and you didn't" post. :D

That being said, Jack is raw live. The non-Stripes show may not have the legendary magic but it still kicks your ass. See him solo, man. Otherwise there will be posts down the road that say "haha I saw Jack's most searing solo show and you didn't".
I saw Jack's first official solo show ever and you didnt (haha) :lol:

As special as that show will always be, especially with the crazy drive from Canada to see it, I think the Toronto show (night 1) with the peacocks will always be one of the best for me. Just amazing and was literally 5 feet away from him directly in front of him and he ended the night by throwing his pic to me at the end of encore. He didn't just throw it into the crowd randomly, threw it to me specifically :D :oops:
DBMTB
Little Bird

Post by DBMTB »

Vault 14 and the videos are one of the reasons I made this post.... I'm not bowled over, rolled round in the mud and come up smiling like I did with the band projects. Don't get me wrong - I love Blunderbuss - but the live stuff I've been able to hear hasn't had near the same impact as the first White Stripes bootlegs I heard....

Some performers improve over time and others don't.

I was just wondering what the folks who've tried both were thinking.
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

You seem pretty cynical ???

I saw Jack At Falkoner Salon. I was front row
and this was my favourite show of the half a dozen
I went to.

Who else was there to see last year - cracking value ticket.

It's very easy to write someone off but ultimately
if you don't connect to the music then stay away.
dcmak5
Little Acorn

Post by dcmak5 »

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of anything post white stripes, but his current live show is absolutely still worth seeing. in that setting I've found appreciation for the post WS material. though I have to say the current male drummer is a little bit ELP, Yes, Rush, arena prog rock for my taste.. and a pinch of that stuff is too much for me
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

DBMTB wrote:Vault 14 and the videos are one of the reasons I made this post.... I'm not bowled over, rolled round in the mud and come up smiling like I did with the band projects. Don't get me wrong - I love Blunderbuss - but the live stuff I've been able to hear hasn't had near the same impact as the first White Stripes bootlegs I heard....

Some performers improve over time and others don't.

I was just wondering what the folks who've tried both were thinking.
I think you are best staying home on the interweb.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

DBMTB wrote:Some performers improve over time and others don't.
That's the crux of all of this-- Is it a matter of whether Jack has improved over time or not, or is it a question of whether what he's doing now suits your musical tastes or not? I can't compare what he's doing now to what he did then because I missed the Stripes. But in a situation like this, even with people who have had the opportunity to see all of his bands, you're going to get a huge variety of responses based just as much on people's tastes in music as on the quality of what Jack's doing now.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
TwinkleLights
Little Cream Soda

Post by TwinkleLights »

I'm of the opinion that if you don't want to like something, you probably won't like it. No real point trying to convince someone who has already made their mind up.
Personally, I loved the show I went to and my cousin who is way more musical than I am said the one he went to was "probably the best concert of my life".
But if you don't want to go, don't. One less person trying to cram up near the front is okay with me. :)
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

Next time he plays near you buy a friggin ticket and make your own mind up
Never trust a hippy
Stay Gold
Little Bird

Post by Stay Gold »

dmdv1 wrote:Next time he plays near you buy a friggin ticket and make your own mind up
exactly. It seems miserable sitting there deeply contemplating about whether or not to go see Jack White based on how much you loved a white stripes show. Dont put that much thought into in the first place and all should be fine.