Jack Interview on NPR

snippets and snails
dunedin
Little Ghost

Jack Interview on NPR

Post by dunedin »

I haven't watched yet, but this is a video interview with Bob Boilen.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/13/150593292 ... ss?ps=cprs
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Re: Jack Interview on NPR

Post by grumblestiltskin »

This is really interesting.

Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three were the backing band on I Guess I Should Go To Sleep, for example. Interesting.
Patient B1003
ellisintransit
Little Cream Soda

Post by ellisintransit »

GREAT interviews behind this album. Loved this, thank you.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

White socks.
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

I love the fact Jack doesn't really play music anymore, he's actually playing with male and female energy in music. He has seriously taken the psychology and gut instinct in music to another level.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I don't think I have ever heard a laugh as infectious as Jack's.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

I thought his laugh was goofy at the end.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

It's very goofy. That's part of what's so great about it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

i hear a different tone in his voice entirely in that interview and its nice but nearly held back in some ways... bobs voice kept trailing off quite a bit which i found difficult

hawke000 wrote:I love the fact Jack doesn't really play music anymore, he's actually playing with male and female energy in music. He has seriously taken the psychology and gut instinct in music to another level.
thats a bit of a stretch to say that he doesnt really play music anymore just because he is composing differently with his access to experimental muses ... i assure you that he is still playing and composing the music as well as delivering something that is truly his own as opposed to what i am hearing from the Black Keys which i confuse for at least 3 other hipster blues up and coming artists... he doesnt have to worry about laying every track down himself which means it doesnt need to take 5 years to get an album
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
12stars

Post by 12stars »

n/a
Last edited by 12stars on Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:i hear a different tone in his voice entirely in that interview and its nice but nearly held back in some ways... bobs voice kept trailing off quite a bit which i found difficult

hawke000 wrote:I love the fact Jack doesn't really play music anymore, he's actually playing with male and female energy in music. He has seriously taken the psychology and gut instinct in music to another level.
thats a bit of a stretch to say that he doesnt really play music anymore just because he is composing differently with his access to experimental muses ... i assure you that he is still playing and composing the music as well as delivering something that is truly his own as opposed to what i am hearing from the Black Keys which i confuse for at least 3 other hipster blues up and coming artists... he doesnt have to worry about laying every track down himself which means it doesnt need to take 5 years to get an album

I didn't mean that literally...
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

That was a fantastic interview. The guys/girls mood and energy, the people he's scared of, bookending the songs on the album and deciding what starts side two on vinyl, what serves the music.... Is this Jack's own Blonde on Blonde?
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

cmelo wrote:That was a fantastic interview. The guys/girls mood and energy, the people he's scared of, bookending the songs on the album and deciding what starts side two on vinyl, what serves the music.... Is this Jack's own Blonde on Blonde?
Dylan's live band were the Hawks...Jack has the Peacocks and the Buzzards.
Patient B1003
cmelo

Post by cmelo »

grumblestiltskin wrote:
cmelo wrote:That was a fantastic interview. The guys/girls mood and energy, the people he's scared of, bookending the songs on the album and deciding what starts side two on vinyl, what serves the music.... Is this Jack's own Blonde on Blonde?
Was thinking about that too...plus Nashville...plus Columbia...plus the mix of character in the songs on each album. Talked w/someone else about the interview and how confident or comfortable Jack seemed about appearing vulnerable in some ways. That's a fine line to be able to walk but makes for some amazing art, IMHO.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

cmelo wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:
Was thinking about that too...plus Nashville...plus Columbia...plus the mix of character in the songs on each album. Talked w/someone else about the interview and how confident or comfortable Jack seemed about appearing vulnerable in some ways. That's a fine line to be able to walk but makes for some amazing art, IMHO.
such thoughts at these are why i read here and enjoy listening to intelligent conversation that provokes a long view of style etc. ... thanks

Hawke... good to hear this "I didn't mean that literally..."
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow