Post by ymagirl »

the sun & the moon never change, they just rearrange the night & the new day~
gold exchanges for silver & the light on a river gets carried away~

woke up with that in my head this morning, quite lovely
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: Blunderbuss lyric discussion

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ I have to admit that the music for On and On and On doesn't do much for me, but the lyrics are very moving. I've had many a moment sitting by some creek out in the middle woods thinking similar thoughts.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
21x3
Little Bird

Post by 21x3 »

sometimes a song is just a story. doesn't always have to be autobiographical. like carolina drama, that's not about jack, it's a story.
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

monkhey wrote:He would never, ever, EVER admit to writing a song about Meg and TWS break up. But, he has and the song is called, "Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy."
Without a doubt.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

ymagirl wrote:the sun & the moon never change, they just rearrange the night & the new day~
gold exchanges for silver & the light on a river gets carried away~

woke up with that in my head this morning, quite lovely
i definitely woke up singing that this morning as well... how odd

right before the unstaged broadcast live i was listenin to the inhouse Blunderbuss recorded live at TMR and realized a key point in the lyrics of that song in its lyrical styling... it really bears parallels to Dylans Isis ... i havent yet parsed out the exact lyrics that line up but its really cool regardless

after listening a bit more i think its purely the general rhyming scheme that makes me think there is a parallel ... hey if i am wrong about any of my observations here then i just want to toss out the idea i will gladly tell you such if we happen to meet up again somewhere along the way
Last edited by theeradicaleclectic on Sun May 06, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
bogartina
Little Bird

Post by bogartina »

orangeshoeskid wrote:From what Jack has said in recent interviews (can't think of which one right now, one that bh1441 (?) had scanned and posted online), I don't think these lyrics pertain to the stripes or anything else in his life. He said he doesn't involve her personal relationships because it's exploiting them. Also not to believe anything he says into a mic.
<<< by that logic we shouldn't believe what he said in the interview either? hmmm... i think it isn't possible to disassociate yourself from anything you create. imo, every work of art is a essentially a self-portrait.
I also think its ok to deliberately confuse nosy insensitive boobs asking personal questions to protect your privacy. i never understood why when an artist becomes a celebrity that "we" automatically think it's our right to know every detail of their private life. i think the paparazzi do disgusting things and should all be served orders of protection.(<this is drifitng off topic, sorry. But does pertain to whether blunderbuss lyrics are about certain events/ppl or not. i think >of course they are.)
bogartina
Little Bird

Post by bogartina »

Also....
flattop2001 wrote:if these lyrics are aimed at Meg I hope she takes them as compliments on her strength as a woman for getting out when she felt the stripes were done, and not a slight. She has been pure class in her silence since the break up and a response to any of this other than her usual smile would be a real shame.
.... yes, agreed very much pure class.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:
Last night while listening to the Unstaged show i definitely heard Jack say Meggie in Top Yourself when he was talkin about givin up the Midnight Creep and you could see the visible cringe on his face once he realized that it poured forth but i think he kept it in when returning to the chorus
I have to disagree with you there. He said "Mags" referring to the pedal steel player, then he said the chorus again with "Lillie Mae" calling to each of them to give a little solo effort right before the big finish.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

2crazikids wrote:I have to disagree with you there. He said "Mags" referring to the pedal steel player, then he said the chorus again with "Lillie Mae" calling to each of them to give a little solo effort right before the big finish.
Actually, he says Maggie. Easily confused with "Meggie" (did he ever call Meg "Meggie"?), but a bit ridiculously so if you know the band member's names.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

All this long-distance psychoanalysis of someone else's personal relationships based on song lyrics and (misheard) stage performances is also a bit ridiculous, IMO. Actually, more than a bit.
2crazikids
Little Acorn

Post by 2crazikids »

Aquamarine wrote:All this long-distance psychoanalysis of someone else's personal relationships based on song lyrics and (misheard) stage performances is also a bit ridiculous, IMO. Actually, more than a bit.
I've never really transposed JW's personal life and trials with his relationships into his songs b/c I never really knew much about those issues, I'm sure I could though if I tried hard enough and delved into it deeper but who's got time for that? :lol:

If anything I get mad at him b/c his lyrics (well many of them) are so applicable to my past and current experiences (without going into too much detail), I even get mad at him for calling me out so-to-speak on some of my crap. It's like he KNOWS what going on, it's freaky!

Saying that, I do believe that Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy is indeed about Meg, but that's my interpretation, not his (I guess).
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

blunderbusting

that makes sense about you seeing it from your life and your own trials and tribulations but anyone effectively trying to say that all those lyrics are anything but autobiographical is purely living in a world of denial... they talk about and to each other in those songs all the time ... what is the big deal about the truth??
"The Denial Twist"

Grab hold of the soul where the memory lingers

and make sure to never do it with the singer
'Cause he'll tell everyone in the world

What he was thinking about the girl

So now you're mad, denying the truth
And it's hidden in the wisdom in the back of your tooth

The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it
And the boat well ya know she's still rockin' it

So to you, the truth is still hidden
its shameful to play spin doctor in this long distance dialogue when the man himself clearly states that singers tell us whats in the song

Are you were hearin' a different song? Take a tip and do yourself a little service .... take a mountain turn it into a mole ... just by playin a different role

its not that big a deal if people get a sense for what happens when humans live complex lives so please put the judgement aside ... if jack white can do it then so can his fans and we dont need people telling us we are crazy or not normal simply because we can see how the world works and how human hearts beat along
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Re: blunderbusting

Post by Stl_ben »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:that makes sense about you seeing it from your life and your own trials and tribulations but anyone effectively trying to say that all those lyrics are anything but autobiographical is purely living in a world of denial... they talk about and to each other in those songs all the time ... what is the big deal about the truth??
"The Denial Twist"

Grab hold of the soul where the memory lingers

and make sure to never do it with the singer
'Cause he'll tell everyone in the world

What he was thinking about the girl

So now you're mad, denying the truth
And it's hidden in the wisdom in the back of your tooth

The truth well you know there's no stoppin' it
And the boat well ya know she's still rockin' it

So to you, the truth is still hidden
its shameful to play spin doctor in this long distance dialogue when the man himself clearly states that singers tell us whats in the song

Are you were hearin' a different song? Take a tip and do yourself a little service .... take a mountain turn it into a mole ... just by playin a different role

its not that big a deal if people get a sense for what happens when humans live complex lives so please put the judgement aside ... if jack white can do it then so can his fans and we dont need people telling us we are crazy or not normal simply because we can see how the world works and how human hearts beat along
These posts are why you annoy me. Run on incomplete sentence fragments that are not understandable by anyone but you. Try make you posts a little more concise and to the point.
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

thanks... i will take that as a kindly suggestion from an elitist hipster tool.

i have this question for you and will ask it directly to keep things simple

why do you label yourself like that?
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Re: blunderbusting

Post by Aquamarine »

theeradicaleclectic wrote: anyone effectively trying to say that all those lyrics are anything but autobiographical is purely living in a world of denial...
See, and that's another problem. Nobody actually said that. "Performing psychoanalysis based on song lyrics" is an entirely different point.

(Personally, and this is SOLELY personal, it really doesn't matter to me in the slightest whether the lyrics are autobiographical or not, given that I don't know the guy and never will, so what's the diff? If all the lyrics are written from the perspective of his imaginary best friend Edmund, that's fine with me, they're still good lyrics. :) )