Boy am I happy I'm a Jack White fan and not a..........

snippets and snails
hawke000

Re: Boy am I happy I'm a Jack White fan and not a..........

Post by hawke000 »

Stl_ben wrote:OK 2 points:
1. Everyone keeps saying he is a horrible song writer and uses the best the best...as an argument. What about the great songs he has written like:
Everlong (great song and one of the best videos ever), Big Me, Hero, A320, Learn to fly....he does have some good deep cuts too (despite what the video says.)
2. At least we do all seem to agree that he is a great drummer in: Nirvana, QOTSA, Them Crooked Vultures, NIN, Probot, Tenacious D, The Killing Joke, Early Foo Songs, and any other time he gets behind the kit. Taylor Hawkins does a pretty good job of drumming for FF though, just saying.
fuck all of those songs. There is one and only one song that rises above the rest when it comes to the Foo's. It actually contends with one of the best rock tunes out there. Best fucking pre-chorus to Chorus ever.

ever...
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

hurp.
he is everything i hate...
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

Stl_ben wrote:OK 2 points:
1. Everyone keeps saying he is a horrible song writer and uses the best the best...as an argument. What about the great songs he has written like:
Everlong (great song and one of the best videos ever), Big Me, Hero, A320, Learn to fly....he does have some good deep cuts too (despite what the video says.)
2. At least we do all seem to agree that he is a great drummer in: Nirvana, QOTSA, Them Crooked Vultures, NIN, Probot, Tenacious D, The Killing Joke, Early Foo Songs, and any other time he gets behind the kit. Taylor Hawkins does a pretty good job of drumming for FF though, just saying.

I wouldn't call any of those songs great, I would call them cute. The funny video act is getting old now. Their best song, IN MY OPINION is Razor.
UntilTheyFall
Little Bird

Post by UntilTheyFall »

I challenge someone to write a song as beautiful as this.
Shakes you to your core.
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

UntilTheyFall wrote:
Shakes you to your core.
My core is shook... :roll:

Dave Grohl doing his best Elliott Smith impression..
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

I suppose at this point in the thread, the question that bears answering, is what do those of you who find objection to Dave's songwriting skills, consider a well written song? On what criteria are you basing your opinion?
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
cwja
Little Ghost

Post by cwja »

monkhey wrote:
UntilTheyFall wrote:
Shakes you to your core.
My core is shook... :roll:

Dave Grohl doing his best Elliott Smith impression..
Courtney?
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

Around 21 min into Back and Forth Dave speaks- (couldn't find a clip on YouTube, but some one wrote it out on a blog)

There were some people that really resented me for starting this band. “How dare you fucking start another band!” They asked me like, “Why did you decide to carry on and make music that sounds like Nirvana?” And I said “Well, wait a minute. What do you mean, like, loud rock guitars and melodies and cymbals crashing and big ass drums?.. Cause that's what I do.” ...that's-- I mean, I was in that band, and this is what I do. What, you want me to fuckin' make a reggae record?

"The first couple years I really felt like I have to explain and defend what I was doing because, "First of all, you're just a drummer. And what, you're trying to sing? And also you were in Nirvana so, what the fuck is this shit?"
So you just get to the point where you just think, .. you know, you think, ... fuck you people."
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

mojoryan wrote:I suppose at this point in the thread, the question that bears answering, is what do those of you who find objection to Dave's songwriting skills, consider a well written song? On what criteria are you basing your opinion?

I didn't bash his songwriting as much as the cheesiness that is the Foo Fighters. You know, the dueling guitar solos with Grohl and that other guy in the middle of concerts, the running up and down the stage...it's all a bit theatrical. I'm going to quote my friend here..."My roommate just bought their new album and we were listening to it on the cruise home. I just can't get into a band that uses the lyric, "No one here gets out alive" on top of a sugar sweet pop melody. I don't think Foo Fighters is a band so much as it is a vehicle for Dave Grohl's predictable songwriting. I can't stand bands that are essentially this uniform wall of sound behind one man. It's like the music is an afterthought and the lyrics and a consistent vocal delivery are all that matter. Fuck that. How many lead singers does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

:lol:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

jamesmonzon1 wrote:Around 21 min into Back and Forth Dave speaks- (couldn't find a clip on YouTube, but some one wrote it out on a blog)

There were some people that really resented me for starting this band. “How dare you fucking start another band!” They asked me like, “Why did you decide to carry on and make music that sounds like Nirvana?” And I said “Well, wait a minute. What do you mean, like, loud rock guitars and melodies and cymbals crashing and big ass drums?.. Cause that's what I do.” ...that's-- I mean, I was in that band, and this is what I do. What, you want me to fuckin' make a reggae record?

"The first couple years I really felt like I have to explain and defend what I was doing because, "First of all, you're just a drummer. And what, you're trying to sing? And also you were in Nirvana so, what the fuck is this shit?"
So you just get to the point where you just think, .. you know, you think, ... fuck you people."
+1

I think people need to get over it. Should jack white stop playing music because the white stripes broke up? How dare he make more music that sounds like the white stripes....actually if we are going to do that, he was a drummer first right and now he's just trying to be a singer and play guitar like Dave is trying. How dare he..

If Dave grohl wasn't good at what he did, the foo fighters wouldn't be one of the biggest bands of the past few decades. Not everybody has to enjoy his music, but as his record sales show, most people do enjoy it.
Last edited by arewhyehen on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

arewhyehen wrote:
jamesmonzon1 wrote:Around 21 min into Back and Forth Dave speaks- (couldn't find a clip on YouTube, but some one wrote it out on a blog)

+1

I think people need to get over it. Should jack white stop playing music because the white stripes broke up? How dare he make more music that sounds like the white stripes....actually if we are going to do that, he was a drummer first right and now he's just trying to be a singer and play guitar like Dave is trying. How dare he..

If Dave growl wasn't good at what he did, the foo fighters wouldn't be one of the biggest bands of the past few decades. Not everybody has to enjoy his music, but as his record sales show, most people do enjoy it.
most people are boring drooling zombies that don't know talent unless it's broadcasted to them on a national television show because they are too fucking fat and lazy to get off their ass and experience something beautiful without the help of someone spoon feeding it to them.
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

hawke000 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

+1

If Dave growl wasn't good at what he did, the foo fighters wouldn't be one of the biggest bands of the past few decades. Not everybody has to enjoy his music, but as his record sales show, most people do enjoy it.
most people are boring drooling zombies that don't know talent unless it's broadcasted to them on a national television show because they are too fucking fat and lazy to get off their ass and experience something beautiful without the help of someone spoon feeding it to them.
WHUUUUUUUUUUT
Never trust a hippy
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

arewhyehen wrote:

+1

If Dave grohl wasn't good at what he did, the foo fighters wouldn't be one of the biggest bands of the past few decades. Not everybody has to enjoy his music, but as his record sales show, most people do enjoy it.

You're talking about record sales? lol. If we listened to music based on record sales, all of us would be listening to Justin Beaver and that skinny blonde country singin' bitch. I never said Dave Grohl shouldn't make music after Nirvana, I just wish it wasn't so boring, predictable, shitty, mainstream, and basically anything but entertaining.
monkhey
Little Cream Soda

Post by monkhey »

hawke000 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

+1

^ damn right.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

monkhey wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

+1

You're talking about record sales? lol. If we listened to music based on record sales, all of us would be listening to Justin Beaver and that skinny blonde country singin' bitch. I never said Dave Grohl shouldn't make music after Nirvana, I just wish it wasn't so boring, predictable, shitty, mainstream, and basically anything but entertaining.

Oh sorry, is a band cooler if they don't sell many albums? My bad.
What makes a band so good then?