American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White

snippets and snails
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Re: American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack Whit

Post by JakobGreen »

Kali Durga wrote:For those folks who use Tidal, JakobGreen tipped me off this morning that all of the albums TMR is releasing are now streaming.
Everything except The American Epic Sessions..
DoctorTran37
Little Cream Soda

Post by DoctorTran37 »

Kali Durga wrote:For those folks who use Tidal, JakobGreen tipped me off this morning that all of the albums TMR is releasing are now streaming.

Looks like they are on Spotify aswell.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Tomorrow night, the wait is finally over... http://www.pbs.org/show/american-epic/
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

So no one watched episode one last night?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:So no one watched episode one last night?
It wasn't on any channel here in Canada that I get :( I was really disappointed.

If anyone has a link to where it can be downloaded or streamed, let me know.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

They put it up this morning, so presumably the next few episodes will be the same- available the day after-- http://www.pbs.org/show/american-epic/
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

jack said something about los lobos having a song in this on chat, so now i gotta watch it.
he is everything i hate...
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

elduderino wrote:jack said something about los lobos having a song in this on chat, so now i gotta watch it.
You can wait and watch the last episode, that's the one about the contemporary recording sessions. And if you like Los Lobos, they're probably on the Session lp that TMR is releasing.

And, no, my life is not complete because Jack hasn't come to my house in Maryland yet to watch American Epic with me.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Kali Durga wrote:They put it up this morning, so presumably the next few episodes will be the same- available the day after-- http://www.pbs.org/show/american-epic/
Beauty! Thanks! Need a VPN to watch it in Canada...but no biggie. :D
dmdv1
Little Ghost

Post by dmdv1 »

The BBC is showing the first part on Sunday night yay!
Never trust a hippy
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

Kali Durga wrote:
elduderino wrote:jack said something about los lobos having a song in this on chat, so now i gotta watch it.
You can wait and watch the last episode, that's the one about the contemporary recording sessions. And if you like Los Lobos, they're probably on the Session lp that TMR is releasing.

And, no, my life is not complete because Jack hasn't come to my house in Maryland yet to watch American Epic with me.
i never said anything about jack coming to your house.
he is everything i hate...
gst510
Little Acorn

Post by gst510 »

I must admit i was a little disappointed. Nothing groundbreaking. Although none of these overviews are perfect (including longer series like Ken Burns' Jazz) this one was really limited in scope, but of course I'm going to watch them all anyway.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

I thought it was charming and intriguing, well put together. It would be nice if they had a special at the end of the series with all the contemporary artists performing their covers. I would've liked to see the full live NAS cover of "On the Road Again." Who knows? Maybe they have it up their sleeve for just such a special.

But, yeah. I like it. Can't wait for the other episodes.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I got the dvd last week, but have been watching each episode in the week that it airs. I think each one has been better than the last. Last night's covered a lot of territory, both literally and figuratively, and every part of it was interesting in some way. But I think if you're looking for a bit more depth, you should definitely consider getting the companion book. The old film footage and seeing the descendants of the musicians talking about them are the highlights of the show itself, while the book really fleshes out the information about each musician and the research into their history.

This is an interesting conversation between Jack and Bernard McMahon about the contemporary sessions-- https://www.ft.com/content/892b50ba-400 ... 6b95f30f58
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Seen all the episodes so far. I'm definitely not the target audience (music nerdhole that I am), and while it's def well put together and interesting, I feel it's kinda . . . lifeless? Joyless in a way? I wish there was some more exuberance regarding presenting the subjects. It's kinda lacking in that area for me. But I have a feeling the modern-musicians-using-the-OG-equipment is going to be exciting. (Even if from what I've seen those parts seem to have been filmed way too dark IMO. Guess it's "mood lighting.")

Anyway, enjoying it all. Good job all around.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."