American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack White

snippets and snails
Datch
Little Acorn

Re: American Epic- T-Bone Burnett, Robert Redford, Jack Whit

Post by Datch »

Kali Durga wrote:I got the dvd last week, but have been watching each episode in the week that it airs. I think each one has been better than the last. Last night's covered a lot of territory, both literally and figuratively, and every part of it was interesting in some way. But I think if you're looking for a bit more depth, you should definitely consider getting the companion book. The old film footage and seeing the descendants of the musicians talking about them are the highlights of the show itself, while the book really fleshes out the information about each musician and the research into their history.

This is an interesting conversation between Jack and Bernard McMahon about the contemporary sessions-- https://www.ft.com/content/892b50ba-400 ... 6b95f30f58
When you dont have subscription to FT https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/ ... clnk&gl=nl
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

is this thing even on anymore? did it end? was los lobos on yet???
he is everything i hate...
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

elduderino wrote:is this thing even on anymore? did it end? was los lobos on yet???
1. Online.
2. Yes
3. Yes, the 2 hour Sessions episode, played one song
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

rsimms3 wrote:
elduderino wrote:is this thing even on anymore? did it end? was los lobos on yet???
1. Online.
2. Yes
why is it not on the pbs channel anymore?
elduderino
Little Ghost

Post by elduderino »

elduderino wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:
1. Online.
2. Yes
why is it not on the pbs channel anymore?
ok, nevermind. just went to PBS.org, was able to fast forward to the los lobos bit. pretty brilliant. and jack just had to be the one to sew the strap thingie?

video quality was shit though...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

elduderino wrote: and jack just had to be the one to sew the strap thingie?
Haha, I noticed that as well. As soon as that broke and Jack mentioned that was an upholstery store down the street, he just had a huge grin on his face and seemed so excited to go get it fixed. Love how he just walked on to the back and did it himself.
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

Thought the Sessions episode was the best of all.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

My Sessions albums have quite a lot of surface noise, so I hope it's going to be possible to get my hands on a copy of the TMP-pressed version at some point--I trust those to be great quality more than another copy of the regular version.
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Aquamarine wrote:My Sessions albums have quite a lot of surface noise, so I hope it's going to be possible to get my hands on a copy of the TMP-pressed version at some point--I trust those to be great quality more than another copy of the regular version.
If I'm right didn't United press the sessions? The other American Epics from TMP I've received are pretty much flawless. I'm really impressed with them so far.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

JakobGreen wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:My Sessions albums have quite a lot of surface noise, so I hope it's going to be possible to get my hands on a copy of the TMP-pressed version at some point--I trust those to be great quality more than another copy of the regular version.
If I'm right didn't United press the sessions? The other American Epics from TMP I've received are pretty much flawless. I'm really impressed with them so far.
Yes, there's no TMP logo so I'm assuming United pressed the Sessions and the Soundtrack. That's why I'm hoping TMP might do a repress of the Sessions at some point, or that I can get my hands on one of the white versions, though I don't know for sure who pressed those. (The Soundtrack sounds OK, but not up to the standard of TMP pressings. Everything I own that was pressed by them is also flawless.)
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

Aquamarine wrote:
JakobGreen wrote:
Yes, there's no TMP logo so I'm assuming United pressed the Sessions and the Soundtrack. That's why I'm hoping TMP might do a repress of the Sessions at some point, or that I can get my hands on one of the white versions, though I don't know for sure who pressed those. (The Soundtrack sounds OK, but not up to the standard of TMP pressings. Everything I own that was pressed by them is also flawless.)
Mine came in today and I'll be damned if it doesn't have the surface noise as well. I'm going to run it thru my record washer and hope it improves the sound. United strikes again!
JakobGreen
Little Bird

Post by JakobGreen »

JakobGreen wrote:
Aquamarine wrote:
JakobGreen wrote:
Mine came in today and I'll be damned if it doesn't have the surface noise as well. I'm going to run it thru my record washer and hope it improves the sound. United strikes again!
I ran mine thru my spin clean record washer, it helped some; but its still there. Its not to the point where it bothers me as much. Like most have said; Id like to get ahold of the TMP version.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I would assume the Sessions lps were done by URP because it's a Columbia release rather than a Third Man release, but damn, that's annoying. I'm normally one of the last people to complain about a little bit of surface noise, but the couple of TMP pressings I have so far really emphasize even to me just how bad URP can be.

And yet, TMP was able to press colored vinyl versions of the Sessions. Maybe if they'd foregone that for once, they could've done the black vinyl versions, too, so we could have had good quality lps.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
dunedin
Little Ghost

Post by dunedin »

My LP2 of Sessions is badly off center. Surface noise isn't bad, but definitely not as nice as the TMP records. It had a lot of tiny flakes of vinyl on the playing surfaces too, so give them a good clean before playing them.