Love Interruption - JW changed a line

snippets and snails
marion
Little Bird

Love Interruption - JW changed a line

Post by marion »

I always liked Love Interruption but when I saw JW sing it live in New Orleans in June he changed a line and it totally changed the way I view the song, made it much more powerful, imo and I LOVE it now. I found a video of it but haven't been able to find another him singing it differently anywhere else. I'm wondering if it's a fluke and he just got the lyrics mixed up because he does switch them with another line, or if there's an alternate version, which seems more likely. If there is, I really want a copy.

Here's the video. The alternate line starts around 1:33. If you noticed he sings the "forget that you offended me" line that is usually toward the end in place of the "murder my own mother" line. Then when he gets to the line that should be "forget that you offended me" he says "forget that you're my mother (at least I think he's saying "mother," I just don't remember hearing "mother" at the show) and take you off to somewhere where I'll never see you again."

Anyone else heard this line? Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/Wo5MCFHlpWo
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Re: Love Interruption - JW changed a line

Post by Aquamarine »

He often changes lines, especially when he forgets them and then has to improvise something, which is what seems to have happened here--there's no official alternate version, anyway. But often the improvised versions are intriguing, if only in the way they differ from the original.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

marion wrote:I always liked Love Interruption but when I saw JW sing it live in New Orleans in June he changed a line and it totally changed the way I view the song, made it much more powerful, imo and I LOVE it now. I found a video of it but haven't been able to find another him singing it differently anywhere else. I'm wondering if it's a fluke and he just got the lyrics mixed up because he does switch them with another line, or if there's an alternate version, which seems more likely. If there is, I really want a copy.

Here's the video. The alternate line starts around 1:33. If you noticed he sings the "forget that you offended me" line that is usually toward the end in place of the "murder my own mother" line. Then when he gets to the line that should be "forget that you offended me" he says "forget that you're my mother (at least I think he's saying "mother," I just don't remember hearing "mother" at the show) and take you off to somewhere where I'll never see you again."

Anyone else heard this line? Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/Wo5MCFHlpWo
I see me in this video :D
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

I hear what your hearing though, He changed them. Sounded like on purpose but He might have just fucked up. Sounded on purpose to me. Thanks for sharing the video.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:He often changes lines, especially when he forgets them and then has to improvise something...
When the gyroscope is spinning too fast for his mouth to keep up. Or when he just feels like switching things up to keep it interesting. I both love and hate this. Love it because it's fascinating to hear what he comes up with on the spot, hate it because it never fails to throw me off as I'm singing along.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
marion
Little Bird

Post by marion »

Oddly enough, I've been to three of his shows and this is the only time I've heard him completely change the words. I'm definitely leaning toward it being intentional. I'll start paying better attention and see if I notice any others.

Fwiw, the video isn't mine. I just found it on Youtube. Pretty much how I saw the show though even though I was in the third row from the pit but that's another story entirely. Maybe that's why I noticed the lyrics changed since I couldn't see a thing (outside of what was in a phone screen) and got really frustrated, so at one point I just sat down and listened. Pretty sure I was sitting when he sang this one. Hmmm, maybe there is an upside to cell phones at shows.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

He doesn't often change the words to this one, it's true. On the other hand, I don't think I've ever been to a show of his where he hasn't changed the words to something, either just to try out some new lyrics or because he forgot the next line. Some of the early attempts at Black Bat Licorice were particularly noteworthy. :lol:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Aquamarine wrote:Some of the early attempts at Black Bat Licorice were particularly noteworthy. :lol:
Black Bat Gibberish :) I totally gave up trying to sing along with that one at the Fenway show.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."