Re: Jack White Paramount Records discussion at Yale

Post by woodisgood »

Reports?? Was there a 78 giveaway?
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

woodisgood wrote:Reports?? Was there a 78 giveaway?
I believe there was, I was wrong.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
PugFaceRex
Little Ghost

Post by PugFaceRex »

<BluefordT> jey pals i am,we is,fuckeres rerred up
<BluefordT> jhdb
-------------------------------------------------------
<Quizze> i didnt like pug asking jack if he would eat himself as a hot dog.... off color
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

I didn't see anybody walking around with a 78. Unless the people with reserved seats got one.
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

HammerOfTheGods wrote:I didn't see anybody walking around with a 78. Unless the people with reserved seats got one.
I'm going by what I saw on the #thirdmanrecords on Instagram.
Not what you'd consider the most credible source, but it hasn't done me much wrong.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

Apparently there was a stack of the last 78's by the door.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

They had a stack of the same 78 that was given out at last year's event. I took a few notes at the event, but then drove from Connecticut straight to work in DC today so haven't had time to even think about them. Did take a break a few minutes ago, though, and found this re-cap at the Yale Daily News-- http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2014/10/2 ... ord-label/

I will say, though, that it was completely worth all the driving I did to sit in that beautiful chapel and listen to those songs after hearing intros from a group of people who are really invested in that music and who think about both the meaning and background of it. Such a treat.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Tater
Little Bird

Post by Tater »

It was a lovely event, informative and interesting. Jack came out afterwards and autographed around a dozen things, got Fly Farm Blues signed.
I was in the front side row, closest to the stage that wasn't reserved, so I got some good video, I'll upload those soon. Here's the entire audio track from the event that I recorded. Jack speaks around 25:00, 1:14:17, and 1:59:17. Enjoy~
http://youtu.be/Q8rTNFO9Xng[/youtube]
Last edited by Tater on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frankay39
Little Bird

Post by frankay39 »

It really was a nice session. Jack was interesting as always but each and every member of the panel really had tons of interesting stuff to add. I will certainly be trying to go to each and every one of these Paramount discussions, if more arise.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Tater wrote:Here's the entire audio track from the event that I recorded. Jack speaks around 25:00, 1:14:17, and 1:59:17. Enjoy~
Far as I'm concerned, you just won best first post ever. I'm so grateful that you captured this, thank you very, very much for sharing it. I was also front row, which side were you on?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Then_It_Rained
Little Bird

Post by Then_It_Rained »

Tater wrote:It was a lovely event, informative and interesting. Jack came out afterwards and autographed around a dozen things, got Fly Farm Blues signed.
I was in the front side row, closest to the stage that wasn't reserved, so I got some good video, I'll upload those soon. Here's the entire audio track from the event that I recorded. Jack speaks around 25:00, 1:14:17, and 1:59:17. Enjoy~
Ah, an answered prayer! I was really aching to hear this again; thank you SO much for sharing this!! I was in the first unreserved row as well on the left side (next to Kali Durga) so we may have been near each other. :).
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Then_It_Rained wrote:I was in the first unreserved row as well on the left side (next to Kali Durga) so we may have been near each other. :).
I think I still have an imprint on the back of my legs from the hymnal I sat on so that I could see better. How 'bout you?
jerseyjammer
Little Bird

Post by jerseyjammer »

Bummed I missed this as I live right near Yale.

How did you guys hear about it? Has he done this thing before at Yale? Is there an email list I can get on from Yale or something for these things?

Thanks for any info.