RIP Ikey Owens

snippets and snails
jamesmonzon1
Little Acorn

Re: RIP Ikey Owens

Post by jamesmonzon1 »

arewhyehen wrote:That is awful! So sad to hear. Who knows about that wikipedia crap... Who knows what can happen to people down there in Mexico...the place is shady..
??? I don't think location is relevant to the cause of death. Just saying...

On a more somber note- man he could play those keys. The few times I was able to attend a JW show, Owens looked like he enjoyed every second he was up on stage. A truly talented musician we have lost today.
"There's nothing as reverential as putting on a vinyl album and manually flipping it. You can't fast-forward. You can't pause. More than likely, you are going to let the whole thing play."-Jack White III
dreamover
Little Acorn

Post by dreamover »

grumblestiltskin wrote:This is tragic. Let's wait on official news before speculating on wikipedia entries etc, shall we?
That's exactly why I prefaced it with 'no source and poorly written'.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/j ... in-mexico/
COS reports that he was found in his room with drugs and alcohol. No official cause of death reported.

Either way it's an absolute tragic loss.
<Jack White> alright i'm out to feed my cats
=====================================
http://bit.ly/dreamovertl <--- my vinyl list
http://www.dreamoverrecords.com
cobytate
Little Cream Soda

Post by cobytate »

the original article from puebla that cos linked to in their report says "marihuana" and not just drugs in general.

it's terribly sad :(
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

This sucks. The man was magical with a keyboard and always looked to be having a blast on stage. Way to young.
How do you replace someone like that ? God Speed Ikey. You are missed.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
anonymousbrunette
Little People

Post by anonymousbrunette »

Sincere condolences to everyone Ikey touched. That's a lot of converted energy right there.
"I didn't mean to drown myself. I meant to swim till I sank - but that's not the same thing."

My ISO/FS/FT List
http://www.thiscouldgoboom.org
hsp88
Little Ghost

Post by hsp88 »

this is so sad and shocking, i found a free moral agents record a few years back it still gets spun regularly. dude rocked
Jimmy the Exploder
Little Bird

Post by Jimmy the Exploder »

So sad to hear this :( he was such a talented man on the keyboards And I think Jack did well have canceled the shows in Mexico out of respect for Ikey R.I.P. Ikey
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

This is just fucking sad. Just kind of processing it. I yelled at Him and we "smiled" just in August at Red Rocks. I stood on the rail in Louisiana twice and watched Him and Daru and Dominic just as much as Jack. Ikey wasn't just a keyboardist He was a showman and it was awesome when He and Jack got back to back and Jammed !!! This Has to be hard on so many ... Jack included. How do you morn, then replace the man and keep on going ? Just has to feel wrong at first. I know it takes strong people to handle situations and I know Jack will replace Him and the show will go on but it will be different.

Feel so bad for His Family and Friends. Im sure he has a bunch. God Bless all those effected. My love from Alabama
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

Alabama Woody wrote:This is just fucking sad. Just kind of processing it. I yelled at Him and we "smiled" just in August at Red Rocks. I stood on the rail in Louisiana twice and watched Him and Daru and Dominic just as much as Jack. Ikey wasn't just a keyboardist He was a showman and it was awesome when He and Jack got back to back and Jammed !!! This Has to be hard on so many ... Jack included. How do you morn, then replace the man and keep on going ? Just has to feel wrong at first. I know it takes strong people to handle situations and I know Jack will replace Him and the show will go on but it will be different.

Feel so bad for His Family and Friends. Im sure he has a bunch. God Bless all those effected. My love from Alabama

You couldn't have said it any better. When I woke up this morning to the news I was thinking that this was a bad dream. I really wish it was a bad dream. And then reading some other musicians tweets about Ikey, specifically Questlove's tweets about him, felt like a punch to the stomach. It's definitely going to be weird not seeing him on stage anymore. My thoughts are with his family, friends, bandmates, and everyone else who associated with him.
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

Alabama Woody wrote:This is just fucking sad. Just kind of processing it. I yelled at Him and we "smiled" just in August at Red Rocks. I stood on the rail in Louisiana twice and watched Him and Daru and Dominic just as much as Jack. Ikey wasn't just a keyboardist He was a showman and it was awesome when He and Jack got back to back and Jammed !!! This Has to be hard on so many ... Jack included. How do you morn, then replace the man and keep on going ? Just has to feel wrong at first. I know it takes strong people to handle situations and I know Jack will replace Him and the show will go on but it will be different.

Yeah, I am usually on his side of the stage if I am not in front of Jack. Ikey was the one who handed me the guitar pick from the RSD 2014 World's Fastest Record show. I was right in front of Ikey at the stage. Jack played the first 4 or 5 songs (including the two on the WFR) with the same guitar pick and then went over and played piano for one song and left the pick on the piano. Ikey leaned over and handed me the guitar pick at the end of the show and shook my hand. To this day, that is still one of the coolest guitar picks I own, from a show..
Thanks Ikey!!
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Cool story Ryan
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
shteev
Little Ghost

Post by shteev »

Condolences to all his family, friends, and band mates. He rocked. Each and every time I saw him play as a member of the band that backs jack white. He will be missed a great deal by all who watched him play and knew him personally. So tragic. Thanks for the great music Ikey.
I could be wronga,,,I could be rright.
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Post by yolomanolo »

My brother texted me when I found out Ikey had passed. I was in class and my stomach fell. I was so shocked. Its a shame my favorite band member passed. I cant imagine a Jack White tour without him. Sure they can find a new keyboardist but it wont be the same.
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

So apparently he died of a heart attack... :/

http://pitchfork.com/news/57077-isaiah- ... -has-died/
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Post by Juanjo »

RIP Ikey. All my love to family and friends in this hard times.
This machine steals souls.