I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

snippets and snails
Post Reply
wuzzie22
Little Bird
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:26 am

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by wuzzie22 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 am

rsimms3 wrote:It's that time of year...
http://thehardtimes.net/music/jack-whit ... urn-vinyl/
:lolno: really funny article

User avatar
Datch
Little Acorn
Posts: 593
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Datch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:45 am

Jack White Signs Global Publishing Deal with Universal Music Publishing

Jack White and Universal Music Publishing Group announced today (April 27) a new global publishing deal that will grant the company exclusive access and direct control over the singer’s entire catalog -- including notable songs from The White Stripes, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather. The arrangement will also allow complete range of White’s solo albums Blunderbuss and Lazaretto, in addition to any collaborations or future ventures.

The agreement also includes White's publishing companies Third String Tunes and Peppermint Stripe Music to further develop new projects and existing songs. It also marks the first time a single publisher will globally administer the rights to White’s songs.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... publishing
Well thats interesting. I guess managing everything yourself isn't feasible in the long run.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”

User avatar
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 8748
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by rsimms3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm

I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7299
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Stl_ben » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

rsimms3 wrote:I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
Wasn't that basically the record he released last year?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
woodisgood
Little Ghost
Posts: 2859
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by woodisgood » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Stl_ben wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
Wasn't that basically the record he released last year?
No it wasn't. Not even basically.
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."

User avatar
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper
Posts: 9712
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:39 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by arewhyehen » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:34 pm

woodisgood wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
Wasn't that basically the record he released last year?
No it wasn't. Not even basically.
Whether you agree that it was or not, having back to back compilation albums will be pretty disappointing. Making one acoustic remixes doesn't make up for that...

User avatar
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7299
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:48 pm
Location: st louis missouri
Contact:

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Stl_ben » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:39 pm

arewhyehen wrote:
woodisgood wrote:
Stl_ben wrote:
rsimms3 wrote:I smell a greatest hits compilation.....
Wasn't that basically the record he released last year?
No it wasn't. Not even basically.
Whether you agree that it was or not, having back to back compilation albums will be pretty disappointing. Making one acoustic remixes doesn't make up for that...
Oh yeah! And sorry if I stepped on any toes, but yeah basically everyone I talked to IRL called the newest record an greatest hits record, occasionally mentioning acoustic.
Which I was fine with because I finally got that Coke and Cold Mountain song for my turntable.
But yeah don't need to have a plugged in greatest hits record right after that.

On a side note, if there is a Greatest Hits record....which of his previous records will be most under represented? Will anything from the newest Dead Weather make the cut?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:42 pm

Smells more to me like more songs in more commercials in more countries. Which is fine with me, since he seems to use that sort of money for things like the Paramount sets and the pressing plant and American Epic.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
curseofhalos
Little Ghost
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 pm
Contact:

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by curseofhalos » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:16 pm

curseofhalos wrote:I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
So he owns the rights, but hires companies like yours and this new one just to manage them, right? To find licensing opportunities and then collect his royalties?
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
curseofhalos
Little Ghost
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:08 pm
Contact:

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by curseofhalos » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:21 pm

Kali Durga wrote:
curseofhalos wrote:I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
So he owns the rights, but hires companies like yours and this new one just to manage them, right? To find licensing opportunities and then collect his royalties?
Yep, the admins just take a percentage. Lots of artist just sign contracts for an x amount of years and then they take them elsewhere if they can get better deals.

User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Kali Durga » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:27 pm

curseofhalos wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:
curseofhalos wrote:I work at the previous administrator of his catalog. Nothing really major or different about this. I'm sure they just offered him a better deal than we could give him. He never managed his own publishing rights. :shock:
So he owns the rights, but hires companies like yours and this new one just to manage them, right? To find licensing opportunities and then collect his royalties?
Yep, the admins just take a percentage. Lots of artist just sign contracts for an x amount of years and then they take them elsewhere if they can get better deals.
That's pretty much what I assumed this meant. Thanks for clarifying. Guess the fact that this warranted announcements in so many news sources is one more indication of how big he's gotten.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

dunedin
Little Ghost
Posts: 1094
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by dunedin » Sat May 06, 2017 3:48 pm


User avatar
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant
Posts: 7369
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:42 am

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Kali Durga » Sun May 07, 2017 12:23 am

Thank you for finding a YouTube version of that ^^, the video on the CBS News site is lousy quality.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."

User avatar
JonnyH
Little Ghost
Posts: 1889
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Olympia

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by JonnyH » Wed May 24, 2017 10:58 pm

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/s ... ack-white/
There is so much to say, and even more to hear from the Wizard of Wax himself, Jack White. In this episode we spin three sets of vinyl that revolve around Mr. White and his record label Third Man Records. This mix is eclectic, full of fuzz, sprinkled with surprises, and throwing all sorts of vintage vibe your way. Thanks for tuning in to the all-vinyl Stax of Wax.
I haven't listened to this yet, but I hope that if I post in here I'll remember to get around to it this week.

I've been really into vinyl me please lately. So if you are thinking of signing up you can use my link below and we'll both get $10 off.

http://fbuy.me/fgjFR

Post Reply