I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

snippets and snails
Juanjo
Little Cream Soda

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Juanjo »

Datch wrote:
appleblossom wrote:If anyone's interested in U.K. (or with access to BBC iplayer). Jack's apparently going to be appearing on the new series of 'Later.... with Jools Holland' - promoting his new album (Sept 13th, BBC2 ).
And at what time does that run?
10pm BST.
This machine steals souls.
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Thank you :thumbup:
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

And don't forget about Fallon this Friday night.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Kali Durga wrote:And don't forget about Fallon this Friday night.
That was real good!
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Talk about serendipity-- 'twas just announced that Jack's going to be on Prairie Home Companion on October 15th, with Chris Thile hosting.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Post by hellosmith »

^can't wait
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

This is indeed serendipitous: Jack joined Cat Stevens on-stage at the Ryman for Where Do the Children Play-- http://www.tennessean.com/story/enterta ... /91120310/
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

In light of Stevens views on gay people and the Rushdie controversy I find it an odd choice to perform with him .
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
JonnyH
Little Ghost

Post by JonnyH »

Bikedo wrote:In light of Stevens views on gay people and the Rushdie controversy I find it an odd choice to perform with him .
I'm not going to call out anyone specifically, but JW has played music with a lot of people with a lot of different views on various subjects.
It's also possible he doesn't know.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

^^ That was my thought. It seems as if when Jack's got the opportunity to work with a fellow musician, the music is what he focuses on. Which can be either a good or a bad thing, depending on your own point of view.

My folks played a lot of Cat Stevens' music when I was a kid, but I've never followed his career or his personal stuff. I assume his views on gay people are negative, then. What was his involvement with Salman Rushdie?
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote:My folks played a lot of Cat Stevens' music when I was a kid, but I've never followed his career or his personal stuff. I assume his views on gay people are negative, then. What was his involvement with Salman Rushdie?
Both of these are (I think) a result of his conversion to Muslim. In the late 80's his religious views became fuel for jingoist hate fires. The ayatollah had called for Salman Rushdie's death because of Rushdie's book the satanic verses {?}. There was already a lot of anger towards Iran here when it was reported that Cat Stevens supported the call for death. The media started piling on and it turned into a boycott of Cat Stevens. The whole thing was very surreal - think pouring wine into gutters and calling fried potatoes "freedom fries".

What I remember clearly is calling a local radio station and asking the DJ where they stand on the "boycott". His reply "man, we haven't played Cat Stevens in 10 years". :lol:
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I remember the call for a fatwah against Rushdie and now that you mention it, I think I do vaguely remember hearing about the hullabaloo over Stevens/Yusuf. That was then. The question is, does he still feel that way?
G-squared
Little Cream Soda

Post by G-squared »

Kali Durga wrote: That was then. The question is, does he still feel that way?
For me the question is where are the recordings? I'd rather judge the art, than the man.

In reference to Bikedo's original comment: Accepting or rejecting art based on the artist's personal beliefs, actions, or comments is a disservice to yourself.
Life is Music
And Music Isn't A Business
Iggy Pop
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

G-squared wrote:For me the question is where are the recordings? I'd rather judge the art, than the man.

In reference to Bikedo's original comment: Accepting or rejecting art based on the artist's personal beliefs, actions, or comments is a disservice to yourself.
This is a question that's intrigued me for a while-- Does accepting art created by someone with questionable or even outright negative beliefs or actions help to give that person a greater platform from which to spread those beliefs, or imply tacit tolerance of their questionable or negative acts? The example that always come to my mind is Wagner, who was a Nazi sympathiser but gave us Ring of the Nibelung. Or more recently and personally troubling to me, Bill Cosby. Jack singing Where Do the Children Play with Cat Stevens is mild in comparison, obviously, but where does one draw the line? Or does art truly outweigh the foibles of its creator?
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

Once I know about someone's beliefs or actions and I oppose to them then I chose not to listen to, nor support said artist.
There are enough artists with their hearts in the right place for me to listen to.
It's just my little private boycott list.

In the case if Cat Stevens, he's been open and public with his views on gay people and supporting the death Fatwa of Mr Rushdie hence my surprise of Jack joining Stevens on stage.
Not saying he shouldn't, just surprised.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.