I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

snippets and snails
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Re: I Saw/Heard Jack White Here - Interviews & Serendipity

Post by Kali Durga »

Well, that settles that. I'd never wear that shirt, but I'm ordering one anyway.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

Where I live, everybody will look at the shirt and see one word, Trump. And think it's therefore a pro-Trump shirt. They're not going to read and think about the lyrics on the back, and they won't be familiar with the song so they won't understand the pun in the slogan. So although I'm totally behind the sentiment, no way I'll be able to wear the shirt in public, unfortunately.
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Kali Durga wrote:Well, that settles that. I'd never wear that shirt, but I'm ordering one anyway.
Wait why are you ordering it if you will never wear it?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Stl_ben wrote:
Kali Durga wrote:Well, that settles that. I'd never wear that shirt, but I'm ordering one anyway.
Wait why are you ordering it if you will never wear it?
Because I want to.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

"Jack White To Be Honored During GRAMMY Week- MILESTONE 10TH ANNUAL P&E WING GRAMMY WEEK CELEBRATION TO HIGHLIGHT THE GRAMMY WINNER'S SUPPORT FOR THE ART AND CRAFT OF RECORDED MUSIC"

http://www.grammy.com/news/jack-white-t ... rammy-week
"For years, we've marveled at Jack White's prodigious musicianship and have revered him as a guitar-playing mastermind, but we think it's important to recognize his significant contributions 'behind the glass' as well," said Neil Portnow, President/CEO of The Recording Academy. "There seems to be no limit to Jack's pioneering creativity and unbridled passion, and it's those qualities that embody the spirit of all of our Producers & Engineers Wing members. It's with great pride that we honor such a talent who is committed to working diligently to ensure that the quality and integrity of recorded music are captured and preserved."
I generally dont' think much of the GRAMMYS, but this sort of recognition is pretty exciting.
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

New, extensive article about Jack in The New Yorker-- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... magination

Makes me want to learn more about Michael Jackson.
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

Kali Durga wrote:New, extensive article about Jack in The New Yorker-- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... magination

That's something you don't hear very often.....
"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

Jack's made me learn about a lot of things I would never have expected to. Michael Jackson fits right in.
nestacat
Little Bird

Post by nestacat »

Kali Durga wrote:New, extensive article about Jack in The New Yorker-- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/ ... magination
Hey thanks. Interesting article in several ways and it makes me want to wax poetic. It reads like one of those end of career articles- summarizing, and in a tidy way tying the past to the present. However, it also feels inspirational and is if the present is more important than the past. It also contains a couple confirmations of things previously not confirmed or discussed.

Action Comics #1, and a new house bought, and white peacocks, and an apt in Nashville, and music being written

In the end I felt as if I've already heard most these quotes before and knew most all of the information. But, it is put together very well and because it weaves just a couple nuggets so deftly, it is a great read. Each paragraph is,literally, begun by a point that gives solidity to a particular characteristic (he works fast, he likes mechanical things, he produces music like this). Of course, as with anything Jack related, it all (also) feels made up and full of self-created constructions. It also feels so honest and it made me feel the truth of the real deal on why recording/touring had to stop - it's a story of not letting the wave (which to be perfectly meta is one's own wave) swallow you whole, jumping off the surfboard to save life and limb. And, then, always, back to same old shitty surfboard (ie, reel to reel) that taught you who you were at 14.

I wonder why right now, though...why not before the Cass Plant opening to gin up interest in that?
nosce te ipsum
suttree
Little Cream Soda

Post by suttree »

It's exciting to hear that he is sitting in a little room again.
<JackWhite> suttree: who doesn't love lillie mae?
woodisgood
Little Ghost

Post by woodisgood »

suttree wrote:

It's exciting to hear that he is sitting in a little room again.
I'd sure be interested if this is the album and not just him demo-ing . . .
"I'd wish you happiness, but I know it'd be detrimental to your art."
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

nestacat wrote:Action Comics #1, and a new house bought, and white peacocks, and an apt in Nashville, and music being written
Why are these in black in your post?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Stl_ben wrote:
nestacat wrote:Action Comics #1, and a new house bought, and white peacocks, and an apt in Nashville, and music being written
Why are these in black in your post?
For those who read comments first instead of the article. Cause you know it's so inconsiderate of people to talk about it in the comments :)
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”
rsimms3
Tiny Elephant

Post by rsimms3 »

"The chairs are too nice, the chandeliers are too beautiful, and the popcorn is too buttery." - Jack White
"What if my problem wasn't that I don't understand people but that I don't like them?" - Louis Bloom
Datch
Little Acorn

Post by Datch »

Thanks for the smile.
“More people know a fragment of his music than know his name.”