Die Hard White Stripes Fans

snippets and snails
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Die Hard White Stripes Fans

Post by Alabama Woody »

Or perhaps diehard Rac's Fans's or DW. Do you like the JW solo stuff ? Is there any WS fans that really dislike the JW solo stuff ? Curious. We blabber on and on about what we like. Is there folks that have bailed on JW ?

I would love a new Rac's album, two was not nearly enough. If it was not for all the live shows there would not be much to choose from. I thought Brendan and Jack sounded great playing and singing together.

But I love what Jack is doing now. Hope he keeps it up and we get a third album in 2016 !

I worry about the DW, it was so spur of the moment and in the moment. Now they are scheduling studio time and making songs here and there. That's nothing like how they started.

I think Jack has gone Solo and there is probably no looking back.

I love how he had several "old" buddies playing on the studio album. Getting some folks a check. Like Patrick Keeler.

Just thinking out loud ...
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Re: Die Hard White Stripes Fans

Post by orangeshoeskid »

Die-hard WS fan... solo stuff is ok. I usually skip most of the songs (at least on Blunderbuss, still haven't listened to Lazaretto). Still prefer DW over solo stuff and BBS Racs over solo stuff. I'd say CotL and solo stuff are tied in my mind. I just don't like the country vibes off the solo stuff, but that's just my preference.
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

I jumped on the band wagon just as Blunderbuss was being released and discovered everything from there, so I guess from a non biased standpoint of only bing able to experience the solo (and I guess a little bit of new DW) era my favourite project of his is without a doubt The Dead Weather.

...but that is coming from a huge Kills/Alison fan...
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS
Bikedo
Little Ghost

Post by Bikedo »

I will always go see Jack play live but nothing he does now compares to the White Stripes.
I'd like to sleep 100 days, my feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb.
crimpies
Little Acorn

Post by crimpies »

orangeshoeskid wrote:Die-hard WS fan... solo stuff is ok. I usually skip most of the songs (at least on Blunderbuss, still haven't listened to Lazaretto). Still prefer DW over solo stuff and BBS Racs over solo stuff. I'd say CotL and solo stuff are tied in my mind. I just don't like the country vibes off the solo stuff, but that's just my preference.
What about the country vibes of the White Stripes stuff?
alanl
Little Cream Soda

Post by alanl »

Bikedo wrote:I will always go see Jack play live but nothing he does now compares to the White Stripes.
I have to agree.
Mr. Natural - The Whole Universe is Completely Insane!
tcricha43
Little Cream Soda

Post by tcricha43 »

The White Stripes became my all time favorite band when I heard them back in 2000 (I was 15), and I've loved everything he's since. I've been listening to Lazarreto nonstop! That being said, The White Stripes will always be my all time favorite band :D
Kaber
Little People

Post by Kaber »

I was a lot more excited by the sound of Blunderbuss when it came out.
It seemed quite a big change from what came before.
Was happier with it than The Dead Weather.
Blunderbuss is still a family favorite.
I now hear elements of Dead Weather, Raconteurs and White Stripes in the latest Jack White album.
The new album is a grower - no bad thing.
Think the album will have legs.
It is not a radical change of direction or sound.
Live is what I look forward to most.
Max Hartley
Little Bird

Post by Max Hartley »

I'm a white stripes fan first and for-most but every band/solo record of Jacks I've really enjoyed. I preferred blunderbuss to Lazaretto (so far, it is a grower) as an album but none of the songs are quite as good as some of the Lazaretto ones. I am also a big Dead weather fan ,not too fussed about the racs, I find some of there stuff slightly middle of the road in comparison to the Stripes or the DW...
Anyway, the country vibe on Lazaretto threw me, I felt that blunderbuss was like an album recorded in the sixties, it felt to me like A solo Lennon album rock and roll tinged country maybe but Lazaretto fells way more Nashville to me than blunderbuss and as a WS fan I also think its too big, too many players, I like the big band vibe and I appreciated it on blunderbuss but I would have preferred the Lazaretto songs to be more stripped back, rougher, I feel like, although they are beautifully crafted, they don't have the fire in them the the White Stripes or the Dead Weather have. (except that black bat liquorice which is exactly up my street sound wise) even the Lazaretto single sounds subdued, the guitar's been turned down so there is room for the lap steel and fiddle, I would love to here a three piece version of it with just guitar, drums and fiddle/double bass...Just less basically, its the little room syndrome, I want Jacks music rough and ready because the strength of his playing is the immediacy, Live he's as good as ever and I want some of that raw power back in his records, some of the Detroit/stooges/proto-punk edge. I like lazaretto but as a Die Hard White Stripes fan I find it to be over complicated, beautiful but over complicated.
orangeshoeskid
Little Ghost

Post by orangeshoeskid »

crimpies wrote:
orangeshoeskid wrote:Die-hard WS fan... solo stuff is ok. I usually skip most of the songs (at least on Blunderbuss, still haven't listened to Lazaretto). Still prefer DW over solo stuff and BBS Racs over solo stuff. I'd say CotL and solo stuff are tied in my mind. I just don't like the country vibes off the solo stuff, but that's just my preference.
What about the country vibes of the White Stripes stuff?
I liked them because they didn't have the straight up country sounds with the pedal steal, violin, and Lillie Mae's voice. Plus, they were usually only a song or two throughout the album..
Bikedo wrote:I will always go see Jack play live but nothing he does now compares to the White Stripes.
+1 exactly how I feel
“We’re more about having fun. I don’t really care about lyrics, honestly. Its rock n’ roll, ya’ know.” - JEFF the Brotherhood
Facebook / FT/ISO / ExpressoBeans Collection / Google+
Vytis33
Little Cream Soda

Post by Vytis33 »

Jack's current shows give me chance to see White Stripes songs that I never thought I'd hear performed live again. And they have a whole new life to them with a full backing band. Not better necessarily, but certainly a different take on the material. I also find myself wishing I could see Jack and Meg together just one more time.

In order of preference I prefer his solo albums, followed by the Racs and then Dead Weather last.

Blunderbuss > Lazaretto

Broken Boy Solders > Consolers of the Lonely

Sea of Cowards > Horehound
Jamie
Little Ghost

Post by Jamie »

orangeshoeskid wrote:I liked them because they didn't have the straight up country sounds with the pedal steal, violin, and Lillie Mae's voice. Plus, they were usually only a song or two throughout the album..
As much as I like Lazaretto, the song, I can't help but wonder how much awesome it'd be if the fiddle solo at the end had've been a classic-Jack whammy guitar solo instead.
Max Hartley
Little Bird

Post by Max Hartley »

I would never bail on Jack White, he's too good and too interesting of a musician to abandon. However I have to say I really miss the rough qualities of his other music, even the first racs stuff was less polished than his solo stuff. (I wrote a lengthy post about this before but it seems it got lost in the translation) I like Lazaretto but for my personal taste its too busy, I like my music rough and loud. I'm a big fan of The Flat Duo Jets and The Gun Club and the White Stripes really had that same feel about them. and the Dead Weather for that matter. I fell like Jack is in Elvis mode at the moment but I want him in Iggy Pop mode, I want the recordings to reflect how manic and visceral he is on stage, i feel like he's had to dial down the manic energy on many of his solo songs to make room for pedal steel and fiddle work, not every song needs fiddle work, guitar work and piano work...I love That Black Bat Liquorice, it may be my favourite song of his...ever....I just wish the rest of the album had the same energy that I know he brings on stage with him.
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Interesting to read others perspective ! I like all the JW bands. His Solo stuff is fast becoming my favorite
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant

Post by Alabama Woody »

Hit send by accident... I was going to say I love his solo stuff but then I put in a white stripes CD or album and I dream of a reunion tour !!!
Forget what you see
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody