Poll: What is the "worst" song on Lazaretto?

snippets and snails

Least Favourite Lazaretto Songs

Three Women
13%
Lazaretto
No votes
Temporary Ground
7%
Would You Fight For My Love
5%
High Ball Stepper
2%
Just One Drink
13%
Alone In My Home
3%
Entitlement
21%
That Black Bat Licorice
7%
I Found The Culprit
10%
Want And Able
18%

Total votes: 94

arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Re: Poll: What is the "worst" song on Lazaretto?

Post by arewhyehen »

bh1644 wrote:
gdm wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:This thread is a bit odd..
Yes.
what is odd about it... seems like most other threads here, people giving their opinions on Jack related stuff... am I missing something?
It's just not something I think is right. Why focus on the negative things, right? I don't really see the purpose of the thread, that's all.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

"worst" in parenthesis is meant to mean least favorite, and everyone was already saying which songs they didn't like in their reviews, here it's all in one place...
it's interesting to see how different people's opinions are... if you see that someone says their favorite song on the album is one you like the least, that doesn't tell the whole story... if you see which song they like the least it gives the full picture... as a student of human behavior I find it infinitely interesting how people's taste differ...

so don't be a pussy and vote for the "worst" song on the album so I can tell you how you are wrong... :D
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

bh1644 wrote:"worst" in parenthesis is meant to mean least favorite, and everyone was already saying which songs they didn't like in their reviews, here it's all in one place...
it's interesting to see how different people's opinions are... if you see that someone says their favorite song on the album is one you like the least, that doesn't tell the whole story... if you see which song they like the least it gives the full picture... as a student of human behavior I find it infinitely interesting how people's taste differ...

so don't be a pussy and vote for the "worst" song on the album so I can tell you how you are wrong... :D
Nah, I will be sitting this one out. Sorry, it's just weird to me.

I haven't read anybody's review of the album. I don't usually for any album. It really doesn't matter to me. What matters most is how it makes me feel. I don't mean that in a rude way. I just mean that every song is going to speak to someone differently, so I find these types of threads very weird. I try not to let other people's opinions influence mine.
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

arewhyehen wrote:
bh1644 wrote:"worst" in parenthesis is meant to mean least favorite, and everyone was already saying which songs they didn't like in their reviews, here it's all in one place...

I haven't read anybody's review of the album. I don't usually for any album. It really doesn't matter to me. What matters most is how it makes me feel. I don't mean that in a rude way. I just mean that every song is going to speak to someone differently, so I find these types of threads very weird. I try not to let other people's opinions influence mine.
fair enough... I guess that's the difference, I am interested in what other people here think, and can hear their opinions without it affecting my opinion one bit...
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

bh1644 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

fair enough... I guess that's the difference, I am interested in what other people here think, and can hear their opinions without it affecting my opinion one bit...
Well don't worry; I am very opinionated and very quick to give it, so you will get it on many other things whether you want to or not. Haha
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

arewhyehen wrote:
bh1644 wrote:
arewhyehen wrote:

Well don't worry; I am very opinionated and very quick to give it, so you will get it on many other things whether you want to or not. Haha
I am counting on it Ryan... :D
fillbuck
Little Bird

Post by fillbuck »

it's not about the negative but more about the diversity in peoples tastes & that there is not one consensus least favorite part (which really says something about the album I think) but whatever haters gonna hate :lol:
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

fillbuck wrote:there is not one consensus least favorite part (which really says something about the album I think)
What does that say about the album? I don't think there is a single album in the world you can take a poll on and have every person say the same song is the "worst."

Again, I am not trying to be rude. I am just trying to understand this thread. :eh:
Stl_ben
Tiny Elephant

Post by Stl_ben »

Why is no one complaining about the "best" song on Lazaretto thread?
If you like one the best doesn't that imply the rest are worse?
<Quizze> @STL_Ben youre a soulless consumer
http://www.dailyvinyl.net
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

as I am typing this, Lazaretto has 0 votes for "worst" song, and Just One Drink has 0 votes for "favorite"...
that does say something about the record I think, either that or those 2 songs are just incredibly mediocre... but I don't think that is it... ;)
just finished Think Like A Freak book, maybe that is making me look at data in a new way... lol
arewhyehen
Little Bird Flipper

Post by arewhyehen »

bh1644 wrote:as I am typing this, Lazaretto has 0 votes for "worst" song, and Just One Drink has 0 votes for "favorite"...
that does say something about the record I think, either that or those 2 songs are just incredibly mediocre... but I don't think that is it... ;)
just finished Think Like A Freak book, maybe that is making me look at data in a new way... lol
That doesn't say anything about the album. It says something about the people listening to it. How "good" or "bad" something is, is not measurable like a math question. If I were to ask what the answer to 2+2 is, we should all get the same answer (if not, we can actually say for a fact that any answer but 4 is wrong). When it comes to measuring how "good" or "bad" a song is, it's all about a persons opinion and the millions of variables behind them. That is why we have hundreds of thousands of artists and hundreds of genres...it's all about the people.

So as I said, I don't really read reviews of songs, because what some body else thinks is probably not what I am going to think. I think music reviews are a load of crap and are just there to fill space in a magazine or newspaper. They mean nothing. I think Neil Young is one of the best artists to ever live, but I know a ton of people who can't stand him...
bh1644
Little Ghost

Post by bh1644 »

arewhyehen wrote:
bh1644 wrote:as I am typing this, Lazaretto has 0 votes for "worst" song, and Just One Drink has 0 votes for "favorite"...
That doesn't say anything about the album. It says something about the people listening to it. How "good" or "bad" something is, is not measurable like a math question. If I were to ask what the answer to 2+2 is, we should all get the same answer (if not, we can actually say for a fact that any answer but 4 is wrong). When it comes to measuring how "good" or "bad" a song is, it's all about a persons opinion and the millions of variables behind them. That is why we have hundreds of thousands of artists and hundreds of genres...it's all about the people.

So as I said, I don't really read reviews of songs, because what some body else thinks is probably not what I am going to think. I think music reviews are a load of crap and are just there to fill space in a magazine or newspaper. They mean nothing. I think Neil Young is one of the best artists to ever live, but I know a ton of people who can't stand him...
that's why I clarified earlier that "worst" in this context is "least favorite"... you are getting that confused with "good" or "bad"...
unlike "good" or "bad", favorite, least favorite, popular, etc. are indeed measurable... with polls such as this one, by looking at record sales, radio play, concert attendance, reviews, awards, TV appearances, etc...

but don't get it confused... "Bro Country" is popular right now, but that don't make it good...

and as far as reviewers go, I mostly agree with you, but if you find someone you trust... whether it's a magazine writer or a good friend, when they give their opinion and you are like minded, it can be a tool to discover new music... which is never a bad thing...
scoliosispony
Little Acorn

Post by scoliosispony »

"Least favorite" probably would've been better, or "what track could you do without?" The word "worst" is the superlative form of the word "bad." It's literally "most bad," not "least favorite." So the usage actually implies that there is more than one bad song on the album, in order for a superlative to even be necessary.

That said, I tend not to listen to any albums that I can't enjoy beginning to end. I'm not that into singles or playlists. If a band can't make great, cohesive albums, then I probably won't buy their stuff even if I like a few songs. Yeasayer, in my opinion, have some amazing songs but their albums bore me. I can't imagine picking a least favorite on this anymore than I could on Revolver. Electioneering might not get me as floored as Paranoid Android, but they both need to be where they are or Okay Computer wouldn't be what it is.

I love Entitlement. There's a great message there. We all deserve to pursue happiness unimpeded, but too many folks think they deserve happiness and shouldn't have to work for some things (food, shelter, healthcare). I'm all for appropriate assistance, but people are lucky to get it and forget that nobody deserves any of that. I can see why people voted down that track. Even the vault book explicitly stated that people might not agree with that message.
i won't let love disrupt, corrupt, or interrupt me anymore...

love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

scoliosispony wrote:"Least favorite" probably would've been better, or "what track could you do without?" The word "worst" is the superlative form of the word "bad." It's literally "most bad," not "least favorite." So the usage actually implies that there is more than one bad song on the album, in order for a superlative to even be necessary.

That said, I tend not to listen to any albums that I can't enjoy beginning to end. I'm not that into singles or playlists. If a band can't make great, cohesive albums, then I probably won't buy their stuff even if I like a few songs. Yeasayer, in my opinion, have some amazing songs but their albums bore me. I can't imagine picking a least favorite on this anymore than I could on Revolver. Electioneering might not get me as floored as Paranoid Android, but they both need to be where they are or Okay Computer wouldn't be what it is.

I love Entitlement. There's a great message there. We all deserve to pursue happiness unimpeded, but too many folks think they deserve happiness and shouldn't have to work for some things (food, shelter, healthcare). I'm all for appropriate assistance, but people are lucky to get it and forget that nobody deserves any of that. I can see why people voted down that track. Even the vault book explicitly stated that people might not agree with that message.
I think Entitlement and Want & Able are both solid. They both remind me of WS songs too though, so maybe that's why
yolomanolo
Little Cream Soda

Post by yolomanolo »

not a big fan of just one drink other than that the album is amazing