Just One Drink

snippets and snails
curseofhalos

Re: Just One Drink

Post by curseofhalos »

Getbacktogether wrote:This song and Power of My Love have a specific sound I cant point out and by that I don't mean the style of the song I mean the recording. It sounds different than lazaretto. Gives me like a live recording vibe. Any one else get that? or see what im saying?

I totally agree. I don't like the sound as much as the recording of Lazaretto. I chalked it up to the fact that it's a digitization thing. Seems like levels are off. IDK.

I prefer this song live to this recording, and I hope it sounds better on the LP.
Last edited by curseofhalos on Fri May 16, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Is it Lillie Mae on backing vocals? I'm guessing she's going to be replacing Ruby Amanfu in that role fairly regularly, and I can't say I'm going to complain.
Patient B1003
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

grumblestiltskin wrote:Is it Lillie Mae on backing vocals? I'm guessing she's going to be replacing Ruby Amanfu in that role fairly regularly, and I can't say I'm going to complain.
If I thought it would make any difference, I would complain about that. Lillie Mae's voice has a great nasal twang to it for old-timey, Appalachian-type stuff, but I can personally only take it in small doses. Hearing her sing Did You See John Hurt and We Are Going To Be Friends made the skin between my shoulder blades crawl. Female voices like that are fingernails on a blackboard for me. Even Ruby's vocals became too much by the end of the Blunderbuss tour.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
GraveyardHound
Little Bird

Post by GraveyardHound »

avrate wrote:Reminds me a bit of Effect and cause. I love it! We'll see how it fits into the album.
I thought the same thing!
That's some of my favorite White Stripes stuff, like Effect and Cause, Honey We Can't Afford to Look this Cheap, so if he heads in this direction just a little bit, I'd be super into that.
If there's anything good about me, I'm the only one who knows.
shaneoftheroad
Little People

Post by shaneoftheroad »

To be fair here, it is growing on me.
grumblestiltskin
Little Ghost

Post by grumblestiltskin »

Kali Durga wrote:
grumblestiltskin wrote:Is it Lillie Mae on backing vocals? I'm guessing she's going to be replacing Ruby Amanfu in that role fairly regularly, and I can't say I'm going to complain.
If I thought it would make any difference, I would complain about that. Lillie Mae's voice has a great nasal twang to it for old-timey, Appalachian-type stuff, but I can personally only take it in small doses. Hearing her sing Did You See John Hurt and We Are Going To Be Friends made the skin between my shoulder blades crawl. Female voices like that are fingernails on a blackboard for me. Even Ruby's vocals became too much by the end of the Blunderbuss tour.
I guess it's a matter of taste. I loved the Llewyn Davis performance of WAGTBF...I guess it made my skin crawl too, but in a good way.
Patient B1003
BlackJackDavey
Little Bird

Post by BlackJackDavey »

This couldn't be what he's singing about around the one minute mark, could it?

Jettkoral
Little People

Post by Jettkoral »

BlackJackDavey wrote:This couldn't be what he's singing about around the one minute mark, could it?

It is.

This track is certainly growing on me. I like the multiple Detroit references so far on this album. :clap:
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I knew I heard him name-check Wine-Spo-Dee-O-Dee in this song on RSD. At least I got that part right.

Drove around with this tune in the car for a little while this evening and, yeah, it's definitely infectious. After growing tired of Ruby's backing vocals on the Blunderbuss tour, I like the subtle way she accompanies on this one. And the piano definitely creates a great tone. Really looking forward to hearing it with the alternate openings, and hearing how it fits into the context of the album.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Punktry.

And Ruby's voice, specifically her vibrato, peeled the paint on my walls. True story.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

mojoryan wrote:Punktry.

And Ruby's voice, specifically her vibrato, peeled the paint on my walls. True story.
Gud werd.

And is that a good thing, or no?
mojoryan
Little People

Post by mojoryan »

Kali Durga wrote:
mojoryan wrote:Punktry.

Gud werd.

And is that a good thing, or no?
Not if I liked the paint. ;)

An over-exaggerated vibrato, when used as often as she does, is just one of those things that's a huge turn-off for me. I love female singers, too.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
mangry
Little Ghost

Post by mangry »

Honestly I really loved this one live! It was cool to see Jack being silly, an element of his music that hasn't really been present since the Stripes. An occasional fun song makes the Power of my Love mega jams all the more powerful. Yin and yang, ya know?

And yeah, Ruby is irritating in more than tiny doses!
Hyperbole used for effect!