Freedom at 21..

snippets and snails
hawke000

Re: Freedom at 21..

Post by hawke000 »

when i start listening to missing peices I immediately start to sing "how you gonna top yourself, when there is nobody else."
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Post by theeradicaleclectic »

hawke000 wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:When it comes to Freedom @ 21 you really might also sit down and compare riffs from Two against One for the then as well ... not the solo of course ... but variation on a theme seems plausible and since they are all his works the value is only added to the development of the theme... tell me what you think the comparison
Blunderbuss is every album jack has done in 1... I'll hear the guitar from "will there be enough water" then into the "i want to be the boy" on missing pieces. etc etc, it's crazy how it's stitched together. I recognize little parts everywhere. Including the rhythms of the lyrics for the racs etc.
did you have a listen to the NPR interview... i think they essentially out that fact there but then cover it with the 'timeless' discussion which is also valid as i see it

in my view he is establishing his grounds and right to play all his music composed in any of those bands as a part of his solo career... just my thoughts on it though

i dont blame him one bit... as a matter of fact i will do the TRE thing and say... its about damned time jack.. kudos... now he just needs to take time and enjoy creating
The clock in the kitchen says 2:55..... And the clock in the kitchen is slow
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

theeradicaleclectic wrote:
hawke000 wrote:
theeradicaleclectic wrote:When it comes to Freedom @ 21 you really might also sit down and compare riffs from Two against One for the then as well ... not the solo of course ... but variation on a theme seems plausible and since they are all his works the value is only added to the development of the theme... tell me what you think the comparison
Blunderbuss is every album jack has done in 1... I'll hear the guitar from "will there be enough water" then into the "i want to be the boy" on missing pieces. etc etc, it's crazy how it's stitched together. I recognize little parts everywhere. Including the rhythms of the lyrics for the racs etc.
did you have a listen to the NPR interview... i think they essentially out that fact there but then cover it with the 'timeless' discussion which is also valid as i see it

in my view he is establishing his grounds and right to play all his music composed in any of those bands as a part of his solo career... just my thoughts on it though

i dont blame him one bit... as a matter of fact i will do the TRE thing and say... its about damned time jack.. kudos... now he just needs to take time and enjoy creating

i did watch it and i never said it was a bad thing long winded.
flattop2001
Little Ghost

Post by flattop2001 »

I actually agree with this. And both songs use the DM techniques he learned working with U2 who learned from Eno/Lanois I'm all for sharing great technique so all good for me.
Don't believe the 60's was the golden age of pop. You glorify the past when the future dries up.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

the song really does put the most modern twist on the album and according to what Eno has said the real learning and expansive power in technique comes from setting certain limits or controls on the situations to force yourself to follow up on all the intricate differences... so much respect for all these men for not letting the latest and the most upgradest advances lead them by the nose ... i like the more modern options Jack is applying but i hope he is confident to stop questioning as if it will sell
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

Well... the verdict is in on the Freedom@21 single becoming a hot grindhouse feature in the world of video production ... fact is that it is actually taking on the mythological role of a 'feature video' that is anticipated and advertised with its own trailer... this is mass media at its finest... built for speed ...so dont miss it

Vancouver Sun calls it a unique Hip Hop Mash-Up and has an updated tour list reminding us that the full-length video premieres Monday, July 16th ... some people have already begun to stir the idea that this spaghetti western soundtrack sounding song is a parallel or possibly a response to some recent Black Keys productions... if so its done in some serious high quality format with lots of graphic depth and production quality... gotta love it either way ... Here is the trailer

the description from MTV critics: stylistic homage to grindhouse horror films by way of Jonas Akerlund and gives a good description of Hype Williams background
http://newsroom.mtv.com/2012/07/12/jack ... -21-video/

make sure you dont confuse it with this video when you get around to checkin it out

hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

this is meh to me. Maybe I'm getting bored with this stuff lately. Doesn't really feel very special or magical at all actually lately, feels like the standard tour minus the white stripes blasting your face off or the racs charming you or the dead weather kicking you in the teeth.
love_islander
Little People

Post by love_islander »

hawke000 wrote:this is meh to me. Maybe I'm getting bored with this stuff lately. Doesn't really feel very special or magical at all actually lately, feels like the standard tour minus the white stripes blasting your face off or the racs charming you or the dead weather kicking you in the teeth.
no LJ = no love! Meg, BB and VV are also intregal parts of those other shows too.
hawke000

Post by hawke000 »

love_islander wrote:
hawke000 wrote:this is meh to me. Maybe I'm getting bored with this stuff lately. Doesn't really feel very special or magical at all actually lately, feels like the standard tour minus the white stripes blasting your face off or the racs charming you or the dead weather kicking you in the teeth.
no LJ = no love! Meg, BB and VV are also intregal parts of those other shows too.
Agreed. All the players have their parts in the grand scheme of things which makes things entertaining. This doesnt feel right for some reason. The album does, but this promo stuff doesn't.
theeradicaleclectic
Little Ghost

i think you fellas are growing sentimental in your ideals of how this complicated world of 'network' works... we just had a mini Racs tour and Kills cant get enough of their limelight that was overdue ... not to mention the fact that the Greenhornes are going full guns... Jack is just bringing his A-Game and lots of new musicians too

its sad that Gondry is not producing any of his current videos but it feels like things are playing out with some of these other connections for now as due standard
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Visually, that trailer for the Freedom at 21 video looks pretty cool, and well matched to the music.

Personally, though, I'm growing a bit weary of the "poor me" attitude that seems to be coming through much of his music and lyrics and videos lately. Especially the "poor me, all these wicked women are beating up on me" stuff. From Love Interruption to Missing Pieces to Sixteen Saltines to Freedom at 21, it seems like a never-ending stream of victimization and abuse. I suppose it might be an understandable theme coming from a member of the weaker sex who's getting pushed around and abused by the man in her life. But last I checked, Jack White is himself a man. And before, he always struck me as a big, strong, assertive guy who's more than capable of taking care of himself. (Mentally insert Jason beatdown picture here.)

Granted, the songs he writes are like mini-dramas where the characters are not necessarily meant to represent himself. But when it's a continuing theme, and when he personally shows up in the videos as himself getting pushed around, dominated, put down, and abused by women (and even children!), then it's more than a little bit emasculating -- which is more than a little bit embarrassing. I guess I don't like thinking of him as some kind of helpless, ineffectual, victimized wuss. But he keeps putting out that theme, so it's kind of destroying this bigger-than-life image that I had of him as this man who's strong, powerful, assertive, competent, and pretty much in firm control of his own little world. But maybe it was only an image, and the idol has feet of clay. Oh well.

Someone on the 'other' forum was speculating that all this apparent masochism in his music and videos might be an indication of...well, masochism. It's not for us to guess, of course. But even if it's only an appearance or a bit of dramatic role-playing fun, it's just not terribly appealing. Is there anything less attractive in a man than letting himself get abused by females and then whining about it? I much preferred the stronger and more manly Jack White of the GBMS era. But that more masculine, aggressive, testosterone-driven version of Jack seems to be missing in action lately.

In terms of the quality of music he's been putting out lately, I have no complaints at all. Blunderbuss is a superb and beautiful album, even if I was originally hoping for something that rocked harder. But in terms of the themes and the imagery of the lyrics and the videos, I can't help but be disappointed. (IMHO, YMMV, YKIOK, and all other disclaimers of opinionization apply.)
"A free society is one in which it's safe to be unpopular." - Adlai Stevenson
Hamptonio
Little Ghost

Post by Hamptonio »

DeeBee wrote:Visually, that trailer for the Freedom at 21 video looks pretty cool, and well matched to the music.

Personally, though, I'm growing a bit weary of the "poor me" attitude that seems to be coming through much of his music and lyrics and videos lately. Especially the "poor me, all these wicked women are beating up on me" stuff. From Love Interruption to Missing Pieces to Sixteen Saltines to Freedom at 21, it seems like a never-ending stream of victimization and abuse. I suppose it might be an understandable theme coming from a member of the weaker sex who's getting pushed around and abused by the man in her life. But last I checked, Jack White is himself a man. And before, he always struck me as a big, strong, assertive guy who's more than capable of taking care of himself. (Mentally insert Jason beatdown picture here.)

Granted, the songs he writes are like mini-dramas where the characters are not necessarily meant to represent himself. But when it's a continuing theme, and when he personally shows up in the videos as himself getting pushed around, dominated, put down, and abused by women (and even children!), then it's more than a little bit emasculating -- which is more than a little bit embarrassing. I guess I don't like thinking of him as some kind of helpless, ineffectual, victimized wuss. But he keeps putting out that theme, so it's kind of destroying this bigger-than-life image that I had of him as this man who's strong, powerful, assertive, competent, and pretty much in firm control of his own little world. But maybe it was only an image, and the idol has feet of clay. Oh well.

Someone on the 'other' forum was speculating that all this apparent masochism in his music and videos might be an indication of...well, masochism. It's not for us to guess, of course. But even if it's only an appearance or a bit of dramatic role-playing fun, it's just not terribly appealing. Is there anything less attractive in a man than letting himself get abused by females and then whining about it? I much preferred the stronger and more manly Jack White of the GBMS era. But that more masculine, aggressive, testosterone-driven version of Jack seems to be missing in action lately.

In terms of the quality of music he's been putting out lately, I have no complaints at all. Blunderbuss is a superb and beautiful album, even if I was originally hoping for something that rocked harder. But in terms of the themes and the imagery of the lyrics and the videos, I can't help but be disappointed. (IMHO, YMMV, YKIOK, and all other disclaimers of opinionization apply.)
no one is ever in control of anything. at any time. ever.
<JackWhite> Hamptonio: yes, and tell the lovely wife that i really love the pot pie recipe. i can't get enough LOL! anyway, let me know when you get that package of test pressings i sent you.
Aquamarine
Little Ghost

Post by Aquamarine »

DeeBee wrote:
Someone on the 'other' forum was speculating that all this apparent masochism in his music and videos might be an indication of...well, masochism.
Not that I can see, and I read that forum every day.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Hamptonio wrote:no one is ever in control of anything. at any time. ever.
Control is not an either/or thing. It's always relative, a matter of degrees.
(Unless you don't believe in free will at all. In which case the disagreement goes much deeper.)

Throughout his musical career, Jack White has certainly given the impression of being a man more in control of his world than most of us. From owning his own record label to owning his own masters and keeping them in a locked vault, to deciding in live shows what song is going to be played at any moment, he always seemed like a man in charge, someone in control of things. But lately, he seems determined to shatter that impression, and he's coming off as weak and wimpy instead.

Even with The White Stripes, he tells us that we were all wrong about him being in control of the band; insisting in the NY Times interview that "Meg totally controlled the band" and that he had to get everything approved by her. Then he took a back seat to Allison in The Dead Weather, letting her steal his thunder as the front man, as it were. Now all these songs about cruel women kicking him around and abusing him, the poor little thing. I dunno, it's just not very palatable. It wasn't very appealing when Elvis was singing about hard-headed women being cruel to their soft-hearted men, and it's not appealing when Jack White does it, either. There are few sights sadder than a thoroughly emasculated male cowering and groveling with his tail tucked between his legs. I mean, maybe it's actually true, and he actually is kind of a hapless wuss. Or maybe it's not true at all, and he's just playing at being a hapless wuss, for the sake of his art or whatever. But either way, it's not a pretty sight.
DeeBee
Little Cream Soda

Post by DeeBee »

Aquamarine wrote: Not that I can see, and I read that forum every day.
It was months ago, when "Love Interruption" first came out and there was speculation on the lyrics.

Found it:
http://littleroom.whitestripes.net/inde ... try2051010