Jack White Paramount Records discussion at Yale

snippets and snails
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Jack White Paramount Records discussion at Yale

Post by HammerOfTheGods »

Any Swirlers planning on going to this next Tuesday?

He did one of these discussions with the last release, right? How big was the crowd last time?
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
hellosmith
Little Acorn

Re: Jack White Paramount Records discussion at Yale

Post by hellosmith »

Last time the crowd was about a hundred people? Maybe two hundred max. It was really a beautiful experience - they played about twelve songs from the collection and discussed each one. Not often you get to sit in a room packed with like-minded music fans listening to tunes recorded almost a hundred years ago. Everyone sat in silence for each song and applauded after each one. Very respectful and enthusiastic lot, and this in the center of New York City no less.

You can read more about the discussion at NYPL for the last release on our thread for it right here.

If you can make it I'd highly recommend going.
~༼✷ɷ✷༽~
matthewvh
Little Cream Soda

Post by matthewvh »

Is this going to be live streamed like it was last year?
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

I'm definitely going. The Chapel where it's being help looks beautiful, and will certainly hold a couple hundred people. I can't wait, sounds like it's going to be very interesting.

I haven't seen them say that it was going to be live streamed, but it probably will be.
I play dumb like Columbo, and get my feelings hurt and move to New York like I'm Dumbo
Kali Durga
Tiny Elephant

Post by Kali Durga »

I'm going, but I also hope it will be livestreamed and then archived. I really enjoyed listening to last year's discussion again afterward to catch some of the insights my memory hadn't held onto from that night. And I love that this year's presentation is being held in an even more gorgeous place than last year's, cant' wait to see it.
"And the message is clear: if we want Jack White as our hero, he will entertain, but not pander. We have to accept all his flaws, whims, caprices and manias as a critical, sometimes uncomfortable, part of the contract."
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Sound very cool. I can't wait to check this out and hear what Jack and the others have to say about these recordings. Maybe I'll see you there Kali. I'm probably gonna get there a little bit early, maybe 5:15ish.

I wonder if they're gonna be handing out more 78's at this one. Even if my turntable doesn't play at 78 RPM, it would be a very cool memento.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

Post by chaptertwentyone »

I highly doubt they'll be doing a 78 RPM for this one considering it's free and open to the public.
“I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER JACK
I’M GONNA STAB HIM RIGHT IN THE BACK
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
AND HE’LL NEVER COME BACK
‘MEMBER THAT?”
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

You needed a ticket last time? How much were they?

Oh well, would've been cool to get one, I'll keep it in my mind as a long shot possibility, but it certainly won't take anything from the night if they're not giving them out.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

I might have paid $16 for mine and I remember they sold out in a minute or less.
It felt pretty intimate to me.
I might have been three seats behind Swank, Jo and Jack.
Come to think of it, there was a photo of Jack surveying the record cases in rolling stones that I was maybe a foot out of frame for.
I looked up from the case and jack was directly across from me, maybe four feet away.
It wad a great experience.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

chaptertwentyone wrote:I might have paid $16 for mine and I remember they sold out in a minute or less.
It felt pretty intimate to me.
I might have been three seats behind Swank, Jo and Jack.
Come to think of it, there was a photo of Jack surveying the record cases in rolling stones that I was maybe a foot out of frame for.
I looked up from the case and jack was directly across from me, maybe four feet away.
It wad a great experience.
Awesome!!! Maybe I should get there a little earlier than 5:15? Seeing as it sold out in a minute last time. What do ya think? I guess it doesn't really matter all that much how close to the front I get (closer is always better obviously) but I wanna make sure to get in. The pictures I've seen of the place makes it look like it holds a couple hundred people, at least.
chaptertwentyone
Little People

It depends on how they've got the whole thing set up.
For the NYPL event we were lined up along a corridor leading to the room of the event.
Once we gave our tickets in we were given free range to either find ourselves a seat or to peruse the items on display.
Personally, I met a couple of nice folks on line and we put our belongings on a few chairs and then went to check out everything they had to offer before the chat began.
PUT HIM IN THIS HOLE
‘MEMBER THAT?”
HammerOfTheGods
Little Cream Soda

Seems like it might be a free for all when it comes to seating, we'll see. Thanks for the info!
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

I'm going to this. It's only 20 minutes away from my house. Because space is limited and it's free I'm getting there at 3. Idk how many people plan on being there but hopefully I get in.
leem96
Little Bird

Post by leem96 »

Kali Durga wrote:I'm going, but I also hope it will be livestreamed and then archived. I really enjoyed listening to last year's discussion again afterward to catch some of the insights my memory hadn't held onto from that night. And I love that this year's presentation is being held in an even more gorgeous place than last year's, cant' wait to see it.
What time do you plan on getting there?
josephodonnell
Little Acorn

Post by josephodonnell »

Any recordings?
FUCK
FASHION
LETS
SMOKE
MENTHOLS