Silent auction for the mayan poster

Mr. Jones, stop reading this and get back to work!

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby cmelo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 am

greginchains wrote:It's unfortunate when good intentions get muddied with opinions and such that take away from somebody in their own way do something to try and be helpful. Maybe someone would/ has donated more for one purpose, and maybe some of wish we'd do more, but never really do, and I'm guilty of that.

I'm not a poster collector at all, but it's a pretty strong image and for that I like it quite a bit. Covering costs and then donating may not be what you would do, but I don't view it as selfish either. Good intentions are there, and somehow, somewhere, someone in this world will benefit from her efforts- period.

I hope the buyer will be happy with the print, cuz I know someone else will be touched by her effort here! :D


Right on.
cmelo
Little Ghost
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby chrono_1980 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 am

cmelo wrote:
greginchains wrote:It's unfortunate when good intentions get muddied with opinions and such that take away from somebody in their own way do something to try and be helpful. Maybe someone would/ has donated more for one purpose, and maybe some of wish we'd do more, but never really do, and I'm guilty of that.

I'm not a poster collector at all, but it's a pretty strong image and for that I like it quite a bit. Covering costs and then donating may not be what you would do, but I don't view it as selfish either. Good intentions are there, and somehow, somewhere, someone in this world will benefit from her efforts- period.

I hope the buyer will be happy with the print, cuz I know someone else will be touched by her effort here! :D


Right on.


Amen. Its not like they're selling it on ebay for profit. They're recovering cost and donating the profit. Still a good deed imo. Good cause here.
User avatar
chrono_1980
Little Ghost
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:41 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby mojoryan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 am

At this point I'm not sure who is responding to whom, but I suppose it doesn't matter. G(greginchains) is just about my best friend on this starship, and I know he thinks a lot of you, 21x3. Nonetheless, we have to just disagree on this.

You asked why I didn't comment on the Dylan reference? Well, I suppose either it went over my head or it didn't and I just don't see the relevance.

To me, charity is an altruistic endeavor. To give is to give. As far as I can see, all that's being given of yourself is a trip to the post office, and swinging by your local foodbank (or whichever charity you choose) to drop off the money. If this is giving, then every time I sell or trade something here in Swirlville, I'm being charitable; I don't after all, charge people gas money or even for my packing supplies. Do I really look at this as charity? Of course not. That's my point. I've sold things at cost numerous times. Is that charity? Not to me. The flaw, in my opinion, is to call others out for not wanting to feed the hungry, when you haven't really "given" anything. The following isn't an accusation, it's merely an hypothetical: who's to say you didn't have buyers remorse (you did say you changed your mind about the poster)and wanted get your money back, and make yourself look like a charitable person by "giving" everything over your cost to charity? I'm not throwing stones, merely posing a scenario.

Many of you don't agree with my perspective on this, and that's fine. As a matter of fact, I discussed the whole thing with my wife, and she disagrees with me as well. However, she also doesn't believe in pure altruism. She believes everyone who gives, does so with- at the very least -a subconscious gratification of doing for others. She and I also disagree on this as well. Sure, it does feel good to do for others, but she feels it's an underlying motivation; I disagree.

In the long run, it is good that people will be helped by you giving to charity, I can see that. What I don't see, is what exactly you're giving?

I don't know you, as was mentioned, and perhaps your sense of humor did go over my head- I'm ok with that. That doesn't change my opinion of what charity is.

Hopefully people don't get carried away with this thread, and cause any hard feelings; I neither want that, nor want to feel I had anything to do with it, but I felt it necessary to give my side of it, since everyone seems to have decided to chime in since I posted earlier.

Good luck to you and your silent auction. Hopefully all these bumps and people feeling so strongly about your approach drums up a lot of money for charity.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
 
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby Alabama Woody » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:06 am

The local food bank, especially this time of year will appreciate getting whatever is donated. Wether its the full amount or the amount minus cost. Either way the charity wins. I see both sides. The poster could have been sold on Ebay and the money used to buy new shoes, instead the "extra" money is going to the charity at a great time of year to give to charities.

I do not have a problem at all with whats being done here, i applaud the fact that the seller was honest in their intentions, integrity is huge!!!! Quit arguing and bid, pay more than it's worth and put your money where your mouth is. The charity wins either way.

Go look in the mirror and argue with yourself, if drama is your thing. No need for drama in this thread, should be love and hugs.

For fuck sakes......

If you don't like the way this is being handled, instead of not giving are you gonna go down to your local food bank and donate?

This way you get a poster as well as the satisfaction of helping out.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
User avatar
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 am
Location: Northern Alabama/Southern Tennessee

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby cmelo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 am

Why the apparently uncontrollable impulses to drop opinions on other people's charity threads when there are so many other topics on Swirl to opine about. Maybe better to either take part in the charity attempt, or leave it alone.
cmelo
Little Ghost
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby mojoryan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:11 am

Alabama Woody wrote:The local food bank, especially this time of year will appreciate getting whatever is donated. Wether its the full amount or the amount minus cost. Either way the charity wins. I see both sides. The poster could have been sold on Ebay and the money used to buy new shoes, instead the "extra" money is going to the charity at a great time of year to give to charities.

I do not have a problem at all with whats being done here, i applaud the fact that the seller was honest in their intentions, integrity is huge!!!! Quit arguing and bid, pay more than it's worth and put your money where your mouth is. The charity wins either way.

Go look in the mirror and argue with yourself, if drama is your thing. No need for drama in this thread, should be love and hugs.

For fuck sakes......

If you don't like the way this is being handled, instead of not giving are you gonna go down to your local food bank and donate?

This way you get a poster as well as the satisfaction of helping out.

Scott, I'm not sure who you're talking to, but I can only hope it wasn't directed at me; you know drama isn't my "thing." Quite the contrary. I only saw a couple people getting mildly heated, and neither of them was me. I just wanted to clarify after all of the apparent hullabaloo that went down after I posted this morning.

No drama here. m'friend.
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
 
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby Alabama Woody » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:19 am

My post is not directed at anyone in particular. I see a post offering to donate money to charity. I see responses destroying her intentions. We don't all have to agree to be friends. It just shows poor taste to belittle what she is doing, picking it apart.

I was involved with a non profit organisation for 15+ years, I was on the Board of Directors. We use all kind of creative ways to raise money, returning the cost of a donated item but keeping the "profits" is a common practice with both small and corporate donations. There are all kinds of creative ways to raise funds, some borderline legal, all involve red tape.

She is doing a stand up thing in my book, I don't want her to give up on the idea because some people have shit on it.
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
User avatar
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 am
Location: Northern Alabama/Southern Tennessee

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby Alabama Woody » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:20 am

cmelo wrote:Why the apparently uncontrollable impulses to drop opinions on other people's charity threads when there are so many other topics on Swirl to opine about. Maybe better to either take part in the charity attempt, or leave it alone.


That's what I'm trying to say, Not good with words. Autistic tendencies..........
Forget what you see
And what you thought was true
It's not really me
Speaking to you

Brendan Benson

"Rock and Roll mother fuckers do you speak it?"
hawke000

"B2F1" Pug/Woody
User avatar
Alabama Woody
Tiny Elephant
 
Posts: 7236
Joined: Sun May 16, 2010 4:55 am
Location: Northern Alabama/Southern Tennessee

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby 21x3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 am

oh well oh well oh well....what happened here? it's okay, i'm used to people not getting my humor, margarine or mojorisin', what's your name again??? haha jk. apparently, the other thing went over your head too, about "DON'T YOU WANT TO FEED THE HUNGRY" being my sense of humor. i also say things like "HOW DARE YOU" and shit like that when i'm hangin' with my peeps in the vault. they know me well enough to know i'm joking. i didn't go to ebay because well, i'd like this to go to a fan, not a businessman. i myself am not trying to make a mint here either. here's the thing, i have this uber-fabulous poster from a really cool show i saw back in april, in LA. i didn't go there to get a poster so i could cash into it on ebuy so i could buy myself a new ipod. i bought it because it was really cool and here i was at this gorgeous venue in LA, my first time there. i truly intended to keep this thing, it's cool as hell, but not really the message i'd like to convey. if it were a flapper being drowned by assholes, it would definitely be a keeper! haha(whoosh) so i decided, hey, why don't i auction this thing off on swirl, that's where the collecting fans are! shit yeah, they'll love this crazy drowning horse glittery gorgeous odd shaped poster! then, since i'd really like to donate to my local foodbank but i just started my business in june of this year and my business is client-based and it takes time to build a clientele, i'll take whatever is left over, after i get back my $30, (i spent like $350 flying to LA plus two really long cab rides to the mayan and back to the airport), plus a little for shipping and i bet this person would want me to insure this thing they just paid x amount of dollars on. i just love run-on sentences, don't you? haha anyway, i'd like to help, i have a thing people want, i need a tank of gas. there. call it what you will. put some money in the salvation army can this season. help an old lady cross the street. sell a print and donate your PROFITS to the foodbank. get off your ass and do the dishes before your mom gets home, but for BOB's sake, do something for someone else just because you'd like to be nice, it's christmastime. and there's no reason to be afraid.
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
21x3
Little Bird
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby 21x3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:21 am

oh and by the by, there's 2 DAYS LEFT to bid for this super duper awesome stallion drowning from some chick who he asked to marry and now she wants him to do things around the house, take out the trash, keep his shlong in his pants, stop playing video games, pay attention to her, watchings his own kids is not called babysitting, put his dish in the dishwasher not on the counter right above the dishwasher, get a sensible family car and not a two-seater sportscar, blahblahblah, nagnagnag, cool as a muthahumpa poster. just kidding, don't freak out.
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
21x3
Little Bird
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby 21x3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 am

oh and thanks to all those of you who are positive about this...as daru would say, thanks for the positivity!!!
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
21x3
Little Bird
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby cmelo » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm

21x3 wrote:oh and by the by, there's 2 DAYS LEFT to bid for this super duper awesome stallion drowning from some chick who he asked to marry and now she wants him to do things around the house, take out the trash, keep his shlong in his pants, stop playing video games, pay attention to her, watchings his own kids is not called babysitting, put his dish in the dishwasher not on the counter right above the dishwasher, get a sensible family car and not a two-seater sportscar, blahblahblah, nagnagnag, cool as a muthahumpa poster. just kidding, don't freak out.


*giggle*. And put the seat down.
cmelo
Little Ghost
 
Posts: 1154
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:53 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby 21x3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:38 pm

21x3 wrote:oh well oh well oh well....what happened here? it's okay, i'm used to people not getting my humor, margarine or mojorisin', what's your name again??? haha jk. apparently, the other thing went over your head too, about "DON'T YOU WANT TO FEED THE HUNGRY" being my sense of humor. i also say things like "HOW DARE YOU" and shit like that when i'm hangin' with my peeps in the vault. they know me well enough to know i'm joking. i didn't go to ebay because well, i'd like this to go to a fan, not a businessman. i myself am not trying to make a mint here either. here's the thing, i have this uber-fabulous poster from a really cool show i saw back in april, in LA. i didn't go there to get a poster so i could cash into it on ebuy so i could buy myself a new ipod. i bought it because it was really cool and here i was at this gorgeous venue in LA, my first time there. i truly intended to keep this thing, it's cool as hell, but not really the message i'd like to convey. if it were a flapper being drowned by assholes, it would definitely be a keeper! haha(whoosh) so i decided, hey, why don't i auction this thing off on swirl, that's where the collecting fans are! shit yeah, they'll love this crazy drowning horse glittery gorgeous odd shaped poster! then, since i'd really like to donate to my local foodbank but i just started my business in june of this year and my business is client-based and it takes time to build a clientele, i'll take whatever is left over, after i get back my $30, (i spent like $350 flying to LA plus two really long cab rides to the mayan and back to the airport), plus a little for shipping and i bet this person would want me to insure this thing they just paid x amount of dollars on. i just love run-on sentences, don't you? haha anyway, i'd like to help, i have a thing people want, i need a tank of gas. there. call it what you will. put some money in the salvation army can this season. help an old lady cross the street. sell a print and donate your PROFITS to the foodbank. get off your ass and do the dishes before your mom gets home, but for BOB's sake, do something for someone else just because you'd like to be nice, it's christmastime. and there's no reason to be afraid.



mr. mojo-risin'-ryan sent me a pm to insure me that my intentions were good, after i "rambled on like a madwoman" up there. thanks ryan, glad you approve, don't think i'd be able to sleep tonight if you didn't give me the ok.... :lol:
although he did not bid :cry:

no hard feelings,
2x4
We are in a world all our own. Nobody understands any of this. I just try not to talk about it too much.
21x3
Little Bird
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 am

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby mojoryan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:44 pm

21x3 wrote:
mr. mojo-risin'-ryan sent me a pm to insure me that my intentions were good, after i "rambled on like a madwoman" up there. thanks ryan, glad you approve, don't think i'd be able to sleep tonight if you didn't give me the ok.... :lol:
although he did not bid :cry:

no hard feelings,
2x4


:lol:
I didn't imply-in any way -that I felt you needed my approval: I was doing what I felt was right by letting you know I understand where you're coming from, and that I realized I should have pm'd you from the onset.

No hard feelings indeed,
mojoschoolin' ;)
"I might not be perfect but I'm me to the bone"~ Seasick Steve
...words to live by.
"This steepen guy grinds my gears."~stl_ben
imo, it's all a result of the modern record collectors association with commodity fetishism~dcmak5
User avatar
mojoryan
Little People
 
Posts: 4611
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:05 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Oh

Re: Silent auction for the mayan poster

Postby Melon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:33 pm

so has a winner been selected?
houses are full of things that gather dust
User avatar
Melon
Little Ghost
 
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:59 am

PreviousNext

Return to Posters

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron